Please delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdqpdq

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
please delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The title says it all. I've been accepted to one of my top choice DO schools, however, I have a lot of free time and I am considering retaking the MCAT. If I do significantly better I would consider updating schools I am currently waitlisted at. In the case that I do worse than my first attempt, could a school revoke my acceptance? This would be my 2nd attempt.

Thanks

Why would you do this though? If you have an acceptance, that is more than most applicants get. You’re going to be a doctor. Additionally, with everything going on taking the MCAT would be difficult unless you planned on deferring your acceptance for the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Why would you do this though? If you have an acceptance, that is more than most applicants get. You’re going to be a doctor. Additionally, with everything going on taking the MCAT would be difficult unless you planned on deferring your acceptance for the year.

I have a lot of free time and I am on a few waitlists of other places I would prefer to go. I could do it without defering. Would it hurt me if I did worse?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you got an acceptance from your top choice school, why update other schools? And are you positive that you were waitlisted at other schools because of your MCAT? (could be interview, etc)

If you got an acceptance from your top choice school, why update other schools? And are you positive that you were waitlisted at other schools because of your MCAT? (could be interview, etc)

Yes it was due to my MCAT. I was accepted to a school I would have no problem going to, but the schools I am WL'd are my preference.

I don’t think it would hurt your acceptance, an acceptance is an acceptance. But keep in mind the deadline to make a deposit unless you’re alright paying more money to another school.
If you’ve exhausted all other options (update letters, letter of interest, letter of intent, etc). I guess if that is what you really want to do, go ahead! Your money. But just keep in mind that you want to be very careful and not blow your shot with a school you were accepted to because you’re wanting somewhere else.

Yes it was due to my MCAT. I was accepted to a school I would have no problem going to, but the schools I am WL'd are my preference.
To answer your original question, I have never heard anyone getting their acceptance revoked due to a lower score on a second attempt. Due keep in mind the time it takes to prepare for the MCAT along with waiting a month for a score may make your chances a little slimmer.

At the end of the day you were accepted, congrats! Just relax and enjoy until school starts.

Reactions: 1 user
I think with the Corona virus it's not possible to take the mcat, my friend's exams were all cancelled.

The title says it all. I've been accepted to one of my top choice DO schools, however, I have a lot of free time and I am considering retaking the MCAT. If I do significantly better I would consider updating schools I am currently waitlisted at. In the case that I do worse than my first attempt, could a school revoke my acceptance? This would be my 2nd attempt.

Thanks
Exercise in futility, and your judgement would be questioned.

Reactions: 2 users
If you score significantly higher, would you drop the DO acceptance and start apply for MD this cycle? If not then I dont think retaking is worth your time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Like others have said, test centers could be closed until further notice.

Also, some schools will not accept an MCAT that was taken after September 2019 for this current cycle.

Here is what TMDSAS says about the MCAT

"The MCAT must be taken between January 2015 and September 2019 to be considered for the 2020 entry year application."

Check with your waitlisted schools to make sure they will even look at your new score before spending all the time and money studying for it and taking it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't want the acceptance you have at the DO school, drop it so that someone else more grateful can get it. Retake the MCAT and apply to only MD schools next cycle.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I think you’d have to send your mcat to aacomas for them to even know, no? Not sure they could revoke your acceptance even if they did. Why not? Sounds like nothing to lose.

• Haha
Why take a risk especially now a days due to CV19? Enjoy your time off in the meantime because you will be super busy next year.

Only March 27th and April 4th MCATs have been canceled globally. But they said May dates are still available for now. So I would probably schedule for May. Good luck if you decide to take it again. I’m currently restudying for mine. 3 MD waitlists and DO acceptances but I am still kind of unsure due to P\F. Do you what your gut tells you is best. Don’t let people bully you into making one decision or the other, it’s your life.

Do you what your gut tells you is best. Don’t let people bully you into making one decision or the other, it’s your life.
No one is being bullied. Don't make unwise decisions to begin with by applying DO if you're feening for the MD. It doesn't make sense to occupy a DO acceptance if you're not mentally prepared for the challenges that come with going that route. Give it to someone else that actually wants it.

Self-hating DOs are a real thing. When it comes to going DO, you need to go in with both eyes wide open. Hopefully you will get accepted off one of the MD schools you're wait-listed at.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Thanks
I guess my questions would be why? DO can get you almost anywhere you want to go outside of incredibly competitive residencies. Enjoy your time until matriculation.

I guess my questions would be why? DO can get you almost anywhere you want to go outside of incredibly competitive residencies. Enjoy your time until matriculation.
I was thinking the exact same thing lol, I've been reading other forums and it seems people still matched Ortho, optho, etc this year maybe neurosurg is still impossible but like why take the risk of giving up DO acceptances and risk for MD cause I'm sure no school will like to see u had a good DO acceptance but gave it up. I think if u work hard, you can go into most specialities. Just my two cents tho.

I don't get it. The earliest you can take the MCAT right now is probably in May. Scores get back in June. The other schools will let you update your MCAT in June for matriculation in 2020? I don't think that's possible. If possible, sure, give it a shot. I would say just take the DO acceptance and enjoy your free time and get ready to start school in the fall

I don't get it. The earliest you can take the MCAT right now is probably in May. Scores get back in June. The other schools will let you update your MCAT in June for matriculation in 2020? I don't think that's possible. If possible, sure, give it a shot. I would say just take the DO acceptance and enjoy your free time and get ready to start school in the fall
I am almost certain OP is thinking about dropping DO for reapplying MD next cycle if he scores high.

I am almost certain OP is thinking about dropping DO for reapplying MD next cycle if he scores high.
oh...well, in that case, that's up to them. I wouldn't drop my acceptance to re-apply during a new cycle. Better to just not have applied to DO in the first place if OP is thinking about dropping a DO acceptance to reapply to an MD school.