Ivy dental stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The type of vegetation growing on the wall of the building means nothing. I think UConn has a little bit of moss growing in the side of the building. I'm happy paying half as much for moss as I would for ivy, because they get me to the same place.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have visited and still feel this way I call you a mad man!

If you haven't visited yet be prepared to change your mind once you do

I've visited a couple times and have lived in Denver for a while so I'm kinda looking for a change. Can't be too picky unless I somehow get a 26 on my DAT and a 3.95, though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You know what my stats are?

What my debt coming out of Penn (where I was accepted) would have been : upwards of $450,000
What my debt will be coming out of UConn: somewhere around $200,000

Why the **** would you want to pay more than double for the same degree and same education?

If you do not have a state school, please look into state schools that offer in-state tuition after the first year in addition to Ivy League schools. I enjoyed my interviews at Penn and Columbia (guess I'm not smart enough for Harvard, and I've cried myself to sleep 47 out of the last 53 nights about it), but most rational people cannot justify the difference in price. If you can justify the difference in price, please let it be for certain aspects about the school's curriculum and program, and not the league in which the affiliated undergad institution plays its sports.

The type of vegetation growing on the wall of the building means nothing. I think UConn has a little bit of moss growing in the side of the building. I'm happy paying half as much for moss as I would for ivy, because they get me to the same place.

Maybe I am assuming that DS is more like undergrad than it actually is... but is it really the same education?
Take my state, Georgia, for example. Same degree when you get out...yes. But does DCG really give students the same education as does Columbia, Penn or Harvard?
If so, I'll just go to the cheapest place. I've met current dentists who have graduated from both schools and they are nothing alike. Could just be coincidence but it seems that DCG is often a back up for those who couldn't get in elsewhere. Or so I've heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCONN> Columbia> Penn
Any day of the week!!! :)

I agree - but I think if you weren't a UCONN resident, you would have had a harder decision to make... Being that you want to specialize.

if you take a random person out of the general public, the majority of them cannot correctly identify like 4 Ivy League schools, let alone all 8. Harvard has pretty universal name brand recognition, but there are huge swaths of the country that have no idea what Penn and Columbia are.

Wait....I thought Penn is a state school? It's not?
And isn't Columbia a country in South America?

UCONN> Columbia> Penn
Any day of the week!!! :)

Ya know....UConn.....it just has a way of touching your heart that other schools just can't match.

Reactions: 1 users
My Uconn interview day was a wonderful experience. Much better than Columbia and NYU. Didn't decide to go toUconn, but still a wonderful school and a hard decision.

Don't get so caught up in the name

Reactions: 1 users
My Uconn interview day was a wonderful experience. Much better than Columbia and NYU. Didn't decide to go toUconn, but still a wonderful school and a hard decision.

Why didn't you choose UConn?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I am assuming that DS is more like undergrad than it actually is... but is it really the same education?
Take my state, Georgia, for example. Same degree when you get out...yes. But does DCG really give students the same education as does Columbia, Penn or Harvard?
If so, I'll just go to the cheapest place. I've met current dentists who have graduated from both schools and they are nothing alike. Could just be coincidence but it seems that DCG is often a back up for those who couldn't get in elsewhere. Or so I've heard.

IDK what you're talking about but i'm from Georgia and 95% of the people I know turn down Ivy's for DCG unless they either 1. Have some means to cover the cost (Scholarship, Parents) or 2. Somehow justify the cost (Wanting to specialize)

UB was cheaper lol

Hypothetical: Suppose UConn and UB were the same price. Which would you pick now and why would you pick that program?

Hypothetical: Suppose UConn and UB were the same price. Which would you pick now and why would you pick that program?

I'm very happy with UB. I wasn't really sold on the pitch from UCON and Columbia regarding the medical curriculum. The students weren't really seeing the point of the extra work load. Uconn has pass fail, but UB recently became P/F for clinic and we're also getting a brand new preclinical and some new chairs up stairs as well. Lots of changes going in, some even went to effect that we(2019) recommended for the 2020 class.

Besides maybe one or two complaints about a faculty member, I've been extremely happy here and would make the same decision again.

Dat UCONN interview day though. Really first class experience. Its what I expected from NYU and Columbia.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm very happy with UB. I wasn't really sold on the pitch from UCON and Columbia regarding the medical curriculum. The students weren't really seeing the point of the extra work load. Uconn has pass fail, but UB recently became P/F for clinic and we're also getting a brand new preclinical and some new chairs up stairs as well. Lots of changes going in, some even went to effect that we(2019) recommended for the 2020 class.

Besides maybe one or two complaints about a faculty member, I've been extremely happy here and would make the same decision again.
I wanted to thank you for your list of interview questions!

Fair enough- thank you for sharing! I'm glad that you are happy with your choice and would do it again.

Just a few points for you & anyone interested in UConn:
  • You are right that UConn is P/F- it is completely P/F. Furthermore, remedial exams have been incorporated so students can remediate immediately and continue on their path towards promotion to the next step.
  • Clinical requirements are competency-based. You do not need X root canals, Y fillings, Z dentures to graduate.
  • The medical curriculum has been significantly shortened (down from 2 years to about 15 months due to changes in the medical school). Students will enter clinic much earlier now at UConn.
  • Team-Based learning is now the primary method of learning for the basic sciences at UConn.
  • The State of Connecticut has poured a lot of funding into UConn Dental recently- they're getting completely new dental clinics for predoctoral students, new dental classrooms (again for predoctoral students), there's a huge new conference room (capacity well above 100) for team-based learning, etc.

Last edited:
You guys have think 3.74 is high? You guys should look at Canadian dental school statistics. They are all mostly 3.8+ with UofA and UofT being 3.9+.
Their GPA system is not the same. Most can get an A with 89%, A- with 84%

IDK what you're talking about but i'm from Georgia and 95% of the people I know turn down Ivy's for DCG unless they either 1. Have some means to cover the cost (Scholarship, Parents) or 2. Somehow justify the cost (Wanting to specialize)
I want to specialize. Also, both Harvard and Columbia have students with some of the highest board scores because the first two years the med and dent classes are together. Looking at all options to help cover the costs (HPSP, moonlighting, etc). Definitely want to eliminate student loan debt first before making big purchases. Any advice is welcome.

Also, both Harvard and Columbia have students with some of the highest board scores because the first two years the med and dent classes are together
Boards are pass/fail...