Ivy League schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shrooboo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
I am a student a McGill university in Canada in Anatomy and cell biology. My GPA was always in the range of 3.83 except for one semester where i got really sick and missed so many exams. I had a 3.68 for that semester. bottom line my cumulativeGPA is 3.79 for now.
I will do my MCATS very soon. (i guess a 34-35 MCAT is good for an ivy? hoping thats what ill get)

I have a lot of clinical experience. I shadowed a cardiologist in LA for a couple of weeks full time. I shadow an orthopedic surgeon in Tunisia once a year for 4 weeks (for the past two years) and I also worked with sick children when back I went to Tunisia.
I went to China for a delegation in medicine where I learned about the chinese culture, and the medical system there and many other interesting aspects of Traditional Chinese MEdicine (just for a month) and I volunteered with disabled children for a short while in China.
I also have the usual hospital volunteering hours most pre med students have. Emergency, dialysis, friendly visiting and all the usual things people have where you dont really have an important direct-patient contact but its alright
and finally another volunteer experience I have is volunteering with the terminally ill patients that cannot feed themselves so I go in the morning once a week and help them eat breakfast. Thats actually one of my most important volunteering experiences as it has shaped the way i think when it comes to why i want to be a doctor.

bottom line, i do have good grades (well i think) and I know that ivy league schools although they do look at grades they also want well rounded individuals. I consider myself as a well rounded individual. I work 25hours a week during the school year, and I had some difficulties with my health that came in my way to scoring higher during my undergraduate career.
I am a very sociable person and I am quite active in my community.
The big FLAW to my application, which lead me to posting here my life story (Sorry lol thats pretty long) is that I do not have research experience. my major is very heavily inclined on researcharticles and lab experimentation and all but I dont have research experience in general.
I know that ivy league schools do take research very seriously. I am not saying I dont like research or im not planning on doing research, its just that I haven't done so yet.
I want to know your thoughts as to what are my chances of getting accepted to Yale university (my top school). Can my humanitarian international experience help compensate for my lack of research experience?

Oh and im starting my senior year this fall!

Please any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

PS: im american. i do have a social security number and all but I am not a resident since I moved to live in Canada when I was much younger. I guess this means that I can apply as an non-international student, but will be obviously considered as a non-resident right?
Also i speak fluently in english (of course lol since i go to an english university) but english is my third language and im pretty worried itll really affect my verbal reasoning score -_- *crossing my fingers and working hard*

Thanks guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

You are an american citizen, therefore you are not an international student. Start racking up research and try to get publications. The thing is with top schools is that it is unpredictable whether you will get in or not no matter what your stats are.