SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Ivy League State (Full Ride) v. Harvard (double tuition and bees)? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Depakote, May 9, 2007.

Ivy League State or Harvard?

1. Ivy League State (Full Ride)

41 vote(s)
    50.6%
  2. Harvard (Double Tuition and Bees)

40 vote(s)
    49.4%
  1. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Hi… I never thought I’d make one of these threads, but I need SDN to make my decision for me.

Ivy League State offered me Tuition, Room and Board for the full 4 years.

Harvard has offered to let me pay 2x the tuition and my acceptance letter says I must wear a suit of Bees to all lectures, labs and rotations [​IMG]

I really want to get the best residency possible. Please help…

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. UMP

UMP Recovered Under-Achiever 7+ Year Member

Aug 27, 2004
    I never heard of Ivy League State, so i'd grab my epipen and go to Harvard

4. Severus

Severus FTSM! Physician 10+ Year Member

Jul 3, 2004
    teh OR
    You'll never have to pay for honey every again!!

5. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!! 2+ Year Member

May 9, 2006
    harvard. let's face it: we only applied to med school because it's a really, really tough process that might satisfy our insecurities about what we are capable of. well now that we know how "good" we are by the schools that have accepted us, what's left to prove?

well i'll tell you what: if you graduate harvard a half million in debt and did it with bees on your pecker half the time, you're a better person than i'll ever be.

6. OwnageMobile

OwnageMobile is just a moniker. 5+ Year Member

Apr 8, 2005
    a better place
    Show them that Depakote and his pride cannot be purchased. Well, at least his pride. Harvard.

7. mlw47

mlw47 5+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2007
    I know of at least three.

Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Human Ecology, and the School of Industrial & Labor Relations.

8. apnea

apnea Forgot the safe word... 2+ Year Member

Mar 16, 2007
    i was just gonna come in here and make fun of your typo. Good call :thumbup:

9. DreamyKid

DreamyKid 10+ Year Member

Feb 3, 2007
    what theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee???

10. etf

etf Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 27, 2005
    i mean, he has one patch on his thigh that's bee free - if i were him, i would have shifted that patch more crotch-wise...

11. postbac25

postbac25 2+ Year Member

May 4, 2007
    Princeton, NJ
    If the decision is between Cornell med and Harvard med, hello!!! pick NYC over Boston!!

12. mlw47

mlw47 5+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Those three schools at Cornell are all undergrad.

13. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California Moderator 10+ Year Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Proven bee experience is second only to a strong Step 1 in securing a Derm or Rads residency.

14. postbac25

postbac25 2+ Year Member

May 4, 2007
    Princeton, NJ
    Sorry. My bad. I though the original question was regarding med school. I have med school on the brain, go figure.

But seriously, Cornell is an awesome place. So is Harvard. Talk to undergrads from all years in each school about their experiences and compare. They are both pretty big schools, but the "college" aspect of Cornell's undergradute colleges is attractive because you have the benefits of a big university with the intimacy of the ag school, ILR school or hum ec.

And you really can't beat the in-state rate for tuition.

Good luck- I made that decision in summer of 1999 between Brown and Cornell. I chose Brown but I knew I'd have been happy at either.

15. chable

chable A sphincter says, "what." 7+ Year Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Club Silencio
    Some of the best doctors I've seen or talked to had to wear bees during their medical school years. Consider it a privilege. :thumbup:

16. SunshineNYC

SunshineNYC SunshineNYC 2+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2007
    NYC
    None of the ivy league schools are state schools. The Ivy league is a set amount of schools that are (or once were) in the same sports league and it has nothing to do with rankings. They all just happen to be consistently considered the best schools. Harvard is an ivy league school. If you meant that this state school is a really good state school, then go there... unless you wish to go into research, because then you shouldn't pass up Harvard. Unless there is something that Harvard is the best at that you specifically want to go there for (like maybe research), then go to the school that offers you the most money.

17. Retro Virus

Retro Virus 5+ Year Member

May 5, 2007
    To bee or not to bee, as always, is the question.

18. flaquita69us

flaquita69us New Member 2+ Year Member

Aug 22, 2006
    I think you should reapply and see if Harvard will give you a scholarship the second time around.

19. Koch

Koch 5+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2006
    bees

20. Karnage

Karnage 2+ Year Member

Apr 28, 2007
    And his thread just went right over your head. :laugh:

21. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California Moderator 10+ Year Member

Jul 23, 2004
    <Bangs head on table>

22. baylormed

baylormed On the Search 5+ Year Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Right behind you
    Wow. :scared: Someone took this seriously. FYI, this thread is as serious as this:

[​IMG]

My Advice: Go to Harvard. Bees are awesome and you'll never have to buy honey for your tea ever again.

23. cnoevil

cnoevil good with kids 2+ Year Member

Sep 11, 2006
    a-hole of the south, tn
    there is no way in hell that I would ever let bees near my piece...

24. Severus

Severus FTSM! Physician 10+ Year Member

Jul 3, 2004
    teh OR
    That is without a doubt, the weirdest looking cat I have ever seen. If ever some stuffy Oxbridge professor transformed into a cat, it would have to look like this.

Good find, Baylormed...excellent work. :thumbup:

25. foofish

foofish 7+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2006
    SDN
    Oh yeah? Well I know someone who chose to go to a Caribbean school rather than wear bees, and now he's the Chief of Super-Awesomeness at Bellvue.

26. UMP

UMP Recovered Under-Achiever 7+ Year Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Didn't the guy wearing the bee suit throw you off at all? Is there a reply button on the main page so people don't even bother reading the thread? :rolleyes:

27. Aynsl156

Aynsl156 2+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2007
    MDApps:
    Dude, your cat has a lazy eye.

28. ChessMess

ChessMess 2+ Year Member

May 18, 2006
    Retro virus you stole my line!

Seriously though, It's obvious that your sense of humor is both a throw back to another time, yet infectious. I guess you could say it's "crossover" humor: "Failing" in every sense of the word - yet "Positive"!

3 Jokes in there! Count them...3!

Master. Of. Disaster.

BAM!

29. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit 5+ Year Member

But... what happens when you... ya know... have to go... number TWO?

And for the record- I'd choose bees as long as they agreed to wheel me around from place so I wouldn't have to move from the apparently optimum bee-crucifix stance. Also, did you notice the guy is wearing SUNGLASSES? You can just tell he know's he's the ****. Tack on going to HMS and I don't know if you could meet a cooler cucumber.

"Yah, I wear all these bees that prevent me from moving my limbs. But as you can see by my sunglasses and my Harvard education, I am legit."

30. Steiner

Steiner 10+ Year Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Washington
    With all those bees, you're sure to get stung-then you could list rheumatoid arthritis clinical studies on your CV.

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/96/103760.htm

And you're gonna make $100,000,000.00 right after you graduate med school anyways, whats the extra 200K in extra tuition gonna hurt-really. Anyone who says no to the bees and extra tuition doesn't see the long term benefits.

31. Steiner

Steiner 10+ Year Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Washington
    If you look closely you can see the Harvard Med gang sign being thrown up by his left hand. Not too many people know about that.

32. future_dr_house

future_dr_house . 7+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2006
    In the words of Dane Cook, "Bees? F*ck bees man! I'd punch every bee in the face!" So if you're Dane Cook, go with Hahhhhhhvahhd.

33. Koch

Koch 5+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Booo. Dane Cook sucks.

34. gotmeds?

gotmeds? 5+ Year Member

Oct 9, 2006
    ...ahem...ever heard of UCLA, UCSD, and UCSF? Certainly not ivy league, but they are considered better schools than most of the ivies.

35. NervousNed

NervousNed 2+ Year Member

Oct 12, 2006
    :D mmmm honey

36. riceman04

riceman04 10+ Year Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    yeah...too bad bee colonies are being wiped out!!!!!

37. sfnix

sfnix Member 5+ Year Member

Jul 11, 2006
    BM, PA
    was faced with the same problem while making my undergrad decision. I went with the bees. all the harvard guys thought i was the man, but the girls wanted nothing to do with me... hard to chase tail in a bee suit at harvard... girls at MIT dug it though. then again... they are girls at MIT...

(if this post offended any women at MIT, woops!)

38. maestro1625

maestro1625 10+ Year Member

Jan 22, 2006
    A bee suit was mandatory at my undergrad... I'd prefer not to have to do it again, but at least I can say I'm used to it.

/only half joking
    //or am I?!

39. Koch

Koch 5+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Actually, this could lead to a much bigger and scarier problem than bees: BEARS!

40. Orthodoc40

Orthodoc40 7+ Year Member

Why is it seeming like so many people actually fell for this as a real question?
    Now THAT's scarey! :D

41. pazan

pazan 5+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2007
    I think the OP might be referring to Dartmouth. Since NH doesn't have a state med school, Dartmouth serves as a pseudo-state school for applicants from New Hampshire. It's pretty feesible the applicant got a good deal from Dartmouth and an admittance from Harvard.

But then again, the bee thing throws me off as to whether this post is legitimate or not.

42. future_dr_house

future_dr_house . 7+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2006
    Sarcasm, like yourself, is a tool we sometimes use to imply humor.

43. Aynsl156

Aynsl156 2+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2007
    MDApps:
    OMG, I have so much love for you right now, even if you didn't mean to be funny. :laugh:

44. OwnageMobile

OwnageMobile is just a moniker. 5+ Year Member

Apr 8, 2005
    a better place
    Just go with your gut feeling, Depakote. Do what makes you happy. I too wore bees in undergrad and don't regret any second of it.

45. mr burrito

mr burrito SOCMOB 2+ Year Member

Sep 16, 2006
    'twould be sweet if you could learn the bees to sting people who ask questions in class.