Ivy League State (Full Ride) v. Harvard (double tuition and bees)? HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ivy League State or Harvard?

• Ivy League State (Full Ride)

Votes: 41 50.6%
  • Harvard (Double Tuition and Bees)

Votes: 40 49.4%

• Total voters

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi… I never thought I’d make one of these threads, but I need SDN to make my decision for me.

Ivy League State offered me Tuition, Room and Board for the full 4 years.

Harvard has offered to let me pay 2x the tuition and my acceptance letter says I must wear a suit of Bees to all lectures, labs and rotations
26_6_2005_BEE.jpg

I really want to get the best residency possible. Please help…

Members don't see this ad.

I never heard of Ivy League State, so i'd grab my epipen and go to Harvard

Members don't see this ad :)
harvard. let's face it: we only applied to med school because it's a really, really tough process that might satisfy our insecurities about what we are capable of. well now that we know how "good" we are by the schools that have accepted us, what's left to prove?

well i'll tell you what: if you graduate harvard a half million in debt and did it with bees on your pecker half the time, you're a better person than i'll ever be.

Show them that Depakote and his pride cannot be purchased. Well, at least his pride. Harvard.

I never heard of Ivy League State, so i'd grab my epipen and go to Harvard

I know of at least three.

Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Human Ecology, and the School of Industrial & Labor Relations.

i was just gonna come in here and make fun of your typo. Good call :thumbup:

i mean, he has one patch on his thigh that's bee free - if i were him, i would have shifted that patch more crotch-wise...

If the decision is between Cornell med and Harvard med, hello!!! pick NYC over Boston!!

If the decision is between Cornell med and Harvard med, hello!!! pick NYC over Boston!!

Those three schools at Cornell are all undergrad.

Proven bee experience is second only to a strong Step 1 in securing a Derm or Rads residency.

Sorry. My bad. I though the original question was regarding med school. I have med school on the brain, go figure.

But seriously, Cornell is an awesome place. So is Harvard. Talk to undergrads from all years in each school about their experiences and compare. They are both pretty big schools, but the "college" aspect of Cornell's undergradute colleges is attractive because you have the benefits of a big university with the intimacy of the ag school, ILR school or hum ec.

And you really can't beat the in-state rate for tuition.

Good luck- I made that decision in summer of 1999 between Brown and Cornell. I chose Brown but I knew I'd have been happy at either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the best doctors I've seen or talked to had to wear bees during their medical school years. Consider it a privilege. :thumbup:

None of the ivy league schools are state schools. The Ivy league is a set amount of schools that are (or once were) in the same sports league and it has nothing to do with rankings. They all just happen to be consistently considered the best schools. Harvard is an ivy league school. If you meant that this state school is a really good state school, then go there... unless you wish to go into research, because then you shouldn't pass up Harvard. Unless there is something that Harvard is the best at that you specifically want to go there for (like maybe research), then go to the school that offers you the most money.

To bee or not to bee, as always, is the question.

I think you should reapply and see if Harvard will give you a scholarship the second time around.

None of the ivy league schools are state schools. The Ivy league is a set amount of schools that are (or once were) in the same sports league and it has nothing to do with rankings. They all just happen to be consistently considered the best schools. Harvard is an ivy league school. If you meant that this state school is a really good state school, then go there... unless you wish to go into research, because then you shouldn't pass up Harvard. Unless there is something that Harvard is the best at that you specifically want to go there for (like maybe research), then go to the school that offers you the most money.

And his thread just went right over your head. :laugh:

<Bangs head on table>

Wow. :scared: Someone took this seriously. FYI, this thread is as serious as this:

cb38cb5004473ea6ba5e8f8c2f602940.jpg

My Advice: Go to Harvard. Bees are awesome and you'll never have to buy honey for your tea ever again.

there is no way in hell that I would ever let bees near my piece...

Wow. :scared: Someone took this seriously. FYI, this thread is as serious as this:

My Advice: Go to Harvard. Bees are awesome and you'll never have to buy honey for your tea ever again.

That is without a doubt, the weirdest looking cat I have ever seen. If ever some stuffy Oxbridge professor transformed into a cat, it would have to look like this.

Good find, Baylormed...excellent work. :thumbup:

Some of the best doctors I've seen or talked to had to wear bees during their medical school years. Consider it a privilege. :thumbup:

Oh yeah? Well I know someone who chose to go to a Caribbean school rather than wear bees, and now he's the Chief of Super-Awesomeness at Bellvue.

Didn't the guy wearing the bee suit throw you off at all? Is there a reply button on the main page so people don't even bother reading the thread? :rolleyes:

Dude, your cat has a lazy eye.

Retro virus you stole my line!

Seriously though, It's obvious that your sense of humor is both a throw back to another time, yet infectious. I guess you could say it's "crossover" humor: "Failing" in every sense of the word - yet "Positive"!

3 Jokes in there! Count them...3!

Master. Of. Disaster.

BAM!

But... what happens when you... ya know... have to go... number TWO?

And for the record- I'd choose bees as long as they agreed to wheel me around from place so I wouldn't have to move from the apparently optimum bee-crucifix stance. Also, did you notice the guy is wearing SUNGLASSES? You can just tell he know's he's the ****. Tack on going to HMS and I don't know if you could meet a cooler cucumber.

"Yah, I wear all these bees that prevent me from moving my limbs. But as you can see by my sunglasses and my Harvard education, I am legit."

With all those bees, you're sure to get stung-then you could list rheumatoid arthritis clinical studies on your CV.

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/96/103760.htm

And you're gonna make $100,000,000.00 right after you graduate med school anyways, whats the extra 200K in extra tuition gonna hurt-really. Anyone who says no to the bees and extra tuition doesn't see the long term benefits.

But... what happens when you... ya know... have to go... number TWO?

And for the record- I'd choose bees as long as they agreed to wheel me around from place so I wouldn't have to move from the apparently optimum bee-crucifix stance. Also, did you notice the guy is wearing SUNGLASSES? You can just tell he know's he's the ****. Tack on going to HMS and I don't know if you could meet a cooler cucumber.

"Yah, I wear all these bees that prevent me from moving my limbs. But as you can see by my sunglasses and my Harvard education, I am legit."

If you look closely you can see the Harvard Med gang sign being thrown up by his left hand. Not too many people know about that.

In the words of Dane Cook, "Bees? F*ck bees man! I'd punch every bee in the face!" So if you're Dane Cook, go with Hahhhhhhvahhd.

In the words of Dane Cook, "Bees? F*ck bees man! I'd punch every bee in the face!" So if you're Dane Cook, go with Hahhhhhhvahhd.

Booo. Dane Cook sucks.

...ahem...ever heard of UCLA, UCSD, and UCSF? Certainly not ivy league, but they are considered better schools than most of the ivies.

yeah...too bad bee colonies are being wiped out!!!!!

Hi… I never thought I’d make one of these threads, but I need SDN to make my decision for me.

Ivy League State offered me Tuition, Room and Board for the full 4 years.

Harvard has offered to let me pay 2x the tuition and my acceptance letter says I must wear a suit of Bees to all lectures, labs and rotations
26_6_2005_BEE.jpg

I really want to get the best residency possible. Please help…

was faced with the same problem while making my undergrad decision. I went with the bees. all the harvard guys thought i was the man, but the girls wanted nothing to do with me... hard to chase tail in a bee suit at harvard... girls at MIT dug it though. then again... they are girls at MIT...

(if this post offended any women at MIT, woops!)

A bee suit was mandatory at my undergrad... I'd prefer not to have to do it again, but at least I can say I'm used to it.

/only half joking
//or am I?!

Why is it seeming like so many people actually fell for this as a real question?
Now THAT's scarey! :D

I think the OP might be referring to Dartmouth. Since NH doesn't have a state med school, Dartmouth serves as a pseudo-state school for applicants from New Hampshire. It's pretty feesible the applicant got a good deal from Dartmouth and an admittance from Harvard.

But then again, the bee thing throws me off as to whether this post is legitimate or not.

I think the OP might be referring to Dartmouth. Since NH doesn't have a state med school, Dartmouth serves as a pseudo-state school for applicants from New Hampshire. It's pretty feesible the applicant got a good deal from Dartmouth and an admittance from Harvard.

But then again, the bee thing throws me off as to whether this post is legitimate or not.

OMG, I have so much love for you right now, even if you didn't mean to be funny. :laugh:

Just go with your gut feeling, Depakote. Do what makes you happy. I too wore bees in undergrad and don't regret any second of it.

'twould be sweet if you could learn the bees to sting people who ask questions in class.