IVY pharmacy schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badxmojo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.. here's something I was wodering about..why do you suppose none of the IVY leauge schools have pharmacy schools?

Members don't see this ad.

that tells u what the rest of the world thinks about pharmacy, even ivy league schools have nursing and pa schools

Nevertheless, it made the Big Ten. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Not precisely true. Several of the near Ivys had pharmacy schools. Notre Dame, JH, and Columbia definitely had BS pharmacy programs at one time in their history. Columbia had an extremely active pharmacology and industrial pharmacy too. For one reason or another, they abandoned their programs to focus on other talents. Notre Dame closed their pharmacy program a while ago, since the only grads I know of that school are in their mid-80s now or Knute Rockne, Rph.

There also is a different mentality. A druggist was a trade position, compared to the professions of medicine and dentistry. Up until the mid-1960s, its was still possible for someone to take the Rph exam without a BS Pharm. Those who were university-trained came from a school that was interested in the technicial issues at the time (the pharmacy school is at Purdue instead of IU), or a school specifically devoted to pharmacy (PCP, St. Louis). In general, old time pharmacy made more money than their MD partners because pharmacists ran businesses, not practices. It's only recently that we've tried to represent ourselves as a profession.

yeah i agree with you guys.. lord999 is this stuff you read in a book or are you some kinda sponge for knowledge? I think that as pharmacy becomes more clinical in nature.. maybe some of the more "prestigious schools" will open up school..especially since enrollment is starting to increase dramatically. Maybe some of us will become professors when they open there doors!