J-1 waiver vs non-ACGME fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jocks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm a canadian citizen doing an EM residency in the US on J-1 visa. I'm trying to find out what areas of the country are considered underserviced for a J-1 waiver. Unfortunately there aren't too many of us "foreigners" doing EM training so finding this information has proved difficult. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

On that note, I'm also considering non-ACGME accredited fellowship in Global/International medicine. Does anyone know if it's difficult for non-citizens to obtain these fellowships?

Thanks for the help eh!

Jocks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,

I'm a canadian citizen doing an EM residency in the US on J-1 visa. I'm trying to find out what areas of the country are considered underserviced for a J-1 waiver. Unfortunately there aren't too many of us "foreigners" doing EM training so finding this information has proved difficult. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

On that note, I'm also considering non-ACGME accredited fellowship in Global/International medicine. Does anyone know if it's difficult for non-citizens to obtain these fellowships?

Thanks for the help eh!

Jocks
If you do a non-ACGME accredited fellowship, you are basically a part-time attending, i.e., this cannot be done on a J1.

I was on a j1, finished in 2011. We are hiring and will sponsor h1b/ j1 waiver / green card, let me know if are interested or know anyone else that might be, thanks!