J Co Review vs Khan Academy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing threads that suggest using J Co Review. I went to the site to see what they had to offer. Seems pretty cool. My question: Is it worth the price as compared to using a free resource like Khan Academy? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I keep seeing threads that suggest using J Co Review. I went to the site to see what they had to offer. Seems pretty cool. My question: Is it worth the price as compared to using a free resource like Khan Academy? Thanks.

My MCAT is saturday. PM me saturday night and I'll give you my account info. I bought it for Ochem. I thought it was okay, nothing great.

My MCAT is saturday. PM me saturday night and I'll give you my account info. I bought it for Ochem. I thought it was okay, nothing great.

While you may not have taken the MCAT yet, would you care to elaborate on what you thought about it for content review?

Thanks

While you may not have taken the MCAT yet, would you care to elaborate on what you thought about it for content review?

Thanks

Well Ochem is tricky. It has nothing to do with memorizing reactions, it's more about understanding the overall concept. I bought Jco for this purpose and I think it somewhat helped, but it's definitely not worth the 40 dollars. I recommend not buying it. If you look on youtube, you can watch a few of his videos for free. Some are amazing, but some are just terrible. You should watch the one about pulleys/inclined planes. It's like a minute long, and it's absolutely horrendous - way too simple for MCAT purposes. Then go watch the video about protein structure - it's amazing.

Overall, I don't think it's that great, but some videos are better than others. I'd recommend chad's over Jco

Members don't see this ad :)
I was curious about this as well. I thought the one about pulleys and stuff was pretty basic but I kind of like the animations. 100 dollars seems like a lot for access.

I was curious about this as well. I thought the one about pulleys and stuff was pretty basic but I kind of like the animations. 100 dollars seems like a lot for access.

PM me sat. night. I think multiple accounts can be signed on at the same time.

My girlfriend is studying for her DATs and was able to access it the same time I was. Chad's doesn't let you do this

PM me sat. night. I think multiple accounts can be signed on at the same time.

My girlfriend is studying for her DATs and was able to access it the same time I was. Chad's doesn't let you do this
The reps that were undercoverly advertising this J Co company are not going to be happy with you..

I signed up a few weeks ago, and I've been really satisfied. The video somebody mentioned about ramps/levers/pulleys isn't actually one of the videos in their course; it's just a 1-minute youtube short that they posted as a sneak-preview to their course. When you sign up, there's much more in-depth coverage of all those topics.

Personally, my CBT scores did increase since I signed up. I was getting like ~ 9/8/9 at the beginning of April, and now I'm around 12/11/12, give or take. I initially tried working with Khan, but some of the videos are too long and often impertinent... I find that J Co is really effective for learning the material quickly.

But yeah, don't judge it from those 1-minute "science sliders..." they aren't actually part of the course.

I signed up a couple of weeks ago after somebody recommended them SDN thread. I really like it. I'm getting through my content review much more rapidly and effectively than when I was reading out of the book. If you sign up, I'd definitely recommend watching the videos in order. I tried jumping around at first, but soon discovered that the videos lead into one another really well. So, I personally give it two thumbs up.

Last edited:
I signed up at the referral of a friend, and I, too, give it a thumbs up. To whoever was complaining about the simple machines video on YT, that video isn't even part of the course. It's just a quick sampler that they posted on fbook and whatnot. The actual videos are much, much more detailed. The course is really good, and well worth the money in my opinion. I'd recommend it.

Wow, the 3 posters above me are fakes. Look at all their posts. They're all promoting J Co. get out of here you f.ucking douchebags

I signed up a few weeks ago, and I've been really satisfied. The video somebody mentioned about ramps/levers/pulleys isn't actually one of the videos in their course; it's just a 1-minute youtube short that they posted as a sneak-preview to their course. When you sign up, there's much more in-depth coverage of all those topics.

Personally, my CBT scores did increase since I signed up. I was getting like ~ 9/8/9 at the beginning of April, and now I'm around 12/11/12, give or take. I initially tried working with Khan, but some of the videos are too long and often impertinent... I find that J Co is really effective for learning the material quickly.

But yeah, don't judge it from those 1-minute "science sliders..." they aren't actually part of the course.

I signed up a couple of weeks ago after somebody recommended them SDN thread. I really like it. I'm getting through my content review much more rapidly and effectively than when I was reading out of the book. If you sign up, I'd definitely recommend watching the videos in order. I tried jumping around at first, but soon discovered that the videos lead into one another really well. So, I personally give it two thumbs up.

I signed up at the referral of a friend, and I, too, give it a thumbs up. To whoever was complaining about the simple machines video on YT, that video isn't even part of the course. It's just a quick sampler that they posted on fbook and whatnot. The actual videos are much, much more detailed. The course is really good, and well worth the money in my opinion. I'd recommend it.

LMAO

All 3 posts in succession within a 30-minute span having a join date of Apr 2012 (and 20+/- posts to look legit).

BRB Jcoreview is the best thing since sliced bread...

original.jpg

edit: ^^^ wizard!

Uhh, for what it's worth, I'm not an "undercover..." but that does sound like an awesome job compared to studying for this test...

Members don't see this ad :)
LMAO

All 3 posts in succession within a 30-minute span having a join date of Apr 2012 (and 20+/- posts to look legit).

BRB Jcoreview is the best thing since sliced bread...

original.jpg

edit: ^^^ wizard!

hahahahaa brilliant :thumbup::thumbup:

Go on their personal pages. They have "J co is amazing, you should try it out" posts written everywhere. douchebags.

Please don't respond if you work for the company. No bias. Jear told me a few weeks ago to try it out? Paid endorser? I am looking for a better way to learn physics and orgo, so I need honest opinions from users that are currently studying for the MCAT or who have used it and already took the MCAT. Thanks Fas. I will be sure to PM you.

Hi undercover agents ( J Co Comapany Douchbags) .. You realize that even the dumbest Pre med student who enters this site can just do a search on the posts by users.
You guys are pathetic , if you think this is how you would get business you are very wrong.
I have payed for a lot of resources including wikipremed even when it was free and i ordered their stuff because i wanted to support them for the helpful resources.
However after seeing you guys starting new posts and every post asking for help in their studies and telling them to try J Co I shall never trust your company or your resources. If your resources are good then they would stand up for themselves and people will tell each other about them. Thats how i heard about Wikipremed and Chadvideos.
Anyways You Guys Suck Again. For anyone who does know just do an advanced search on these users and you will find that they have been reviewing their own ****

Reactions: 1 user
Hi undercover agents ( J Co Comapany Douchbags) .. You realize that even the dumbest Pre med student who enters this site can just do a search on the posts by users.
You guys are pathetic , if you think this is how you would get business you are very wrong.
I have payed for a lot of resources including wikipremed even when it was free and i ordered their stuff because i wanted to support them for the helpful resources.
However after seeing you guys starting new posts and every post asking for help in their studies and telling them to try J Co I shall never trust your company or your resources. If your resources are good then they would stand up for themselves and people will tell each other about them. Thats how i heard about Wikipremed and Chadvideos.
Anyways You Guys Suck Again. For anyone who does know just do an advanced search on these users and you will find that they have been reviewing their own ****

Your post = perfection.

couldn't have said it better myself :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hahahahaha. Are there any demo's for Chad's videos I can preview? I went to his site but didn't see a demo. Khan Academy isn't specific to MCAT for me, and I can't get wikipremed to work on my computer and I have 64-bit system w/ Windows 7.

Hahahahaha. Are there any demo's for Chad's videos I can preview? I went to his site but didn't see a demo. Khan Academy isn't specific to MCAT for me, and I can't get wikipremed to work on my computer and I have 64-bit system w/ Windows 7.

Yeah chad's has 1 or 2 preview videos

The videos do look good but I have a huge problem believing that you magically went from a 9 to a 12 just by watching them. Thats a phenomenal increase. Because at that point, it's not just about knowning content its about being able to apply it several situations easily.

you could be fake or could not be fake. I dont really care. But I call BS that a set of videos made you go from a 9 to a 12.

Originally Posted by aspiringdoc09

Have you tried a new installation of Flash? That usually fixes a problem viewing the videos.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Send me a message if this doesn't fix things. All the best.

has anyone else used jco and wants to weigh in on this?

Are you serious? 3 fakes just posted in a row...that's how desperate they are for attention. Anyone that posts after them with a low post count is going to be sketch.

If they prove themselves in the future, I'm sure a reputable person will come along and post a positive review. Until then, their jimmies are rustled.

Are you serious? 3 fakes just posted in a row...that's how desperate they are for attention. Anyone that posts after them with a low post count is going to be sketch.

If they prove themselves in the future, I'm sure a reputable person will come along and post a positive review. Until then, their jimmies are rustled.

:thumbup:

you don't think other companies do the same thing? Wake up. It's called marketing. I'm sure it's done a lot more discreetly with the other companies though...the only company that doesn't do it is prob TBR, lol. They don't seem to be too interested in advertising..

It's only sad they did it in a way that was completely obvious. But still I dont blame them for trying..the attempt could have been way better.

you don't think other companies do the same thing? Wake up. It's called marketing. I'm sure it's done a lot more discreetly with the other companies though...the only company that doesn't do it is prob TBR, lol. They don't seem to be too interested in advertising..

It's only sad they did it in a way that was completely obvious. But still I dont blame them for trying..the attempt could have been way better.

wake up? Calm down bro... It's common sense that all companies do this, but that's not what I'm getting at.

Even after they spammed 3 "reviews" in a row, your previous post comes off as if you're still hopeful that they're legit.

x-files-believe.jpg

Like I said, their company is obviously new and if someone actually learned anything from them and browsed SDN, I'm sure they'd make their own thread about it. I'm surprised this thread isn't closed yet.

wake up? Calm down bro... It's common sense that all companies do this, but that's not what I'm getting at.

Even after they spammed 3 "reviews" in a row, your previous post comes off as if you're still hopeful that they're legit.

x-files-believe.jpg

Like I said, their company is obviously new and if someone actually learned anything from them and browsed SDN, I'm sure they'd make their own thread about it. I'm surprised this thread isn't closed yet.

hence where you went wrong- you assumed. Don't assume, if you don't actually know. Could they be legit? Very possible. Their animations look interesting. You don't like the way they advertise so you assume they suck.

Consider this, how sketchy is TBR's website? But yet, their materials are amazing. Don't make decisions without facts. I'm saying they very well could be legit, not that I know they are. You are assuming they aren't, and you really have nothing to back that up off of besides three posts that scream "advertise". I honestly have no idea how good they are, but some of their samples videos I actually found to be kind of helpful. So clearly they have some good use.

so i ended up getting Jco because i had 100 dollars to blow and I had enough hookers and beer for one week since it was recently my birthday. Overall I think their lectures are pretty clear and good; I like them better then wikki premed and khan. The wikki premed guy drove me bat**** crazy how hed pause every 2 seconds.

Are they overpriced? Def a little, I think 100 dollars is kinda steep. But the videos are pretty cool, they can help visualize some things better. If you're a visual learner, they seem to play to your strength.

Are they legit? Yes. So far, I think jco>khan>wikki. Dunno about Chads videos. Im only on the GC videos right now though.

PM me if you have any questions and ill do my best to answer them.

Ahh, now it all makes sense, you're an undercover JCo owner!! srs

Not srs

kinda srs

:smuggrin:

Of all of your review materials/videos/websites. What combo has worked best for you?

Ill put it this way; when I started out I was the typical ignorant premed but I had no idea what I was doing. When I took the mcat I did it without studying and without having pre req classes and got a sad little 21 5/10/6. I was impressed though because hell I just christmas treed the last 26 bio questions and still got a 6 Lol. In hindsight I think I could have gotten an 8 on bio but I pretty much felt owned after the PS when I had no idea what they were talking about. This was over a year ago. I took pre req classes after that, didnt learn much really and realized I was going to have learn the material from scratch.

So, starting from a 21, I went to a 29-32 practice test range, after using TBR/TPR/practice tests. TBR helped me more then anything and should be the first choice for prob any subject. But im at the point where ive read the tbr books so many times I could recite them in opera format and im completely burnt out on reading. I wanted video lectures. I have a vindetta against the wikki pre med guy, and I thought the khan academy didnt seem very mcat focused to me. And my birthday was actually three days ago, and I got a nice little present so I figured id give them a try based on the sample videos. Im going to use these just to hold me over till my may 24th exam since ive burned through so many other things and at this point im just kinda waiting for the date to come.

Ill put it this way; when I started out I was the typical ignorant premed but I had no idea what I was doing. When I took the mcat I did it without studying and without having pre req classes and got a sad little 21 5/10/6. I was impressed though because hell I just christmas treed the last 26 bio questions and still got a 6 Lol. In hindsight I think I could have gotten an 8 on bio but I pretty much felt owned after the PS when I had no idea what they were talking about. This was over a year ago. I took pre req classes after that, didnt learn much really and realized I was going to have learn the material from scratch.

So, starting from a 21, I went to a 29-32 practice test range, after using TBR/TPR/practice tests. TBR helped me more then anything and should be the first choice for prob any subject. But im at the point where ive read the tbr books so many times I could recite them in opera format and im completely burnt out on reading. I wanted video lectures. I have a vindetta against the wikki pre med guy, and I thought the khan academy didnt seem very mcat focused to me. And my birthday was actually three days ago, and I got a nice little present so I figured id give them a try based on the sample videos. Im going to use these just to hold me over till my may 24th exam since ive burned through so many other things and at this point im just kinda waiting for the date to come.

happy birthday little n.igglet

I have a vindetta against the wikki pre med guy

I uhhh cough think might ought to have stuck with the uhhh program at WikiPremed and uhhh (pause) you wouldn't be looking for answers elsewhere at this point. The thing is uhh cough cough WikiPremed is actually a substantive piece of work.

Peace.

Good luck on your test!

I uhhh cough think might ought to have stuck with the uhhh program at WikiPremed and uhhh (pause) you wouldn't be looking for answers elsewhere at this point. The thing is uhh cough cough WikiPremed is actually a substantive piece of work.

Peace.

Good luck on your test!

oh gosh are you the wikki premed guy (assuming by your title)? I feel bad. Your cause is great, and what you're doing is awesome, offering free videos to premeds. Its not personal, im just not into the teaching style presented in wikki premed, but it is well put together for the most part. It's just not for me. I know wikkipremed is greatly appreciated here.

oh gosh are you the wikki premed guy (assuming by your title)? I feel bad. Your cause is great, and what you're doing is awesome, offering free videos to premeds. Its not personal, im just not into the teaching style presented in wikki premed, but it is well put together for the most part. It's just not for me. I know wikkipremed is greatly appreciated here.

:laugh: No it's alright. I cut the videos in live teaching so they aren't as forward moving, I think, sometimes, as other videos. Khan, for example, is a master of of forthright direct teaching. But in my videos, there's give and take, and waiting for the folks to get it. Sometimes they go too slow. Honestly, when I watch some of the videos, in the early part of the course, especially, I get on my own nerves. But there is a real curriculum underlying the course. If you are patient it can really work, but I guess it's not for everyone. There are many paths.

You made my day.

:laugh: No it's alright. I cut the videos in live teaching so they aren't as forward moving, I think, sometimes, as other videos. Khan, for example, is a master of of forthright direct teaching. But in my videos, there's give and take, and waiting for the folks to get it. Sometimes they go too slow. Honestly, when I watch some of the videos, in the early part of the course, especially, I get on my own nerves. But there is a real curriculum underlying the course. If you are patient it can really work, but I guess it's not for everyone. There are many paths.

You made my day.

Ive just read so many books and done so many problems that at this rate i feel like im simply waiting for that test day to arrive. I might as well go at a fast pace now because i understand most of the basics fairly well, at least I think so, lol. If it was still early on, your videos prob would have benefited me a lot more in helping me understand how to apply the basics.

The magnetism lecture was super hard though. The cathode ray question owned me..

Ive just read so many books and done so many problems that at this rate i feel like im simply waiting for that test day to arrive. I might as well go at a fast pace now because i understand most of the basics fairly well, at least I think so, lol. If it was still early on, your videos prob would have benefited me a lot more in helping me understand how to apply the basics.

The magnetism lecture was super hard though. The cathode ray question owned me..

From your tone it sounds like you have broken through and you are on your way to a successful MCAT. In my experience a characteristic sign of immanent success is when a person experiences what you have described, having a mental image of every page of the learning materials, that familiar feeling where you know what each page looks like and the material suddenly seems manageable. When you get to that point you have an accessible conceptual framework from beginning to end, and you can put every passage on the test and every question into the context of fundamental principles. Keep cycling through the knowledge and practice practice practice. Meditate. Get lots of sleep. Lay off the booze and cocaine. You are going to do well. You don't need anyone but you. Good luck on the test.

Originally Posted by aspiringdoc09

Have you tried a new installation of Flash? That usually fixes a problem viewing the videos.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Send me a message if this doesn't fix things. All the best.

Thanks John. I hadn't visit the website in a while, and I guess an updated flash player was what I needed. I can't recall but I think I tried the update before, and the videos wouldn't play. Maybe my Windows 7 had some kind of glitch or something in it. I appreciate it though.

You made my day.

I found a simple solution to this, John gives a cd of the videos free if you purchase his kit for like 50 bucks I think. John's vids are perfect on 1.5 speed ( as are kahn, he is super slow.)

just signed up for it too...the voice is annoying..and the notes are HORRIBLE. What sort of format is this? Il post more about the vids...i did see the free ones and i liked them.

hm i dont mind the voice. My only issue is the voice changes on bio and sounds different for some reason, it can get kinda annoying then. As far as the notes, theyre supposed to be super short. I think using them for notes is pointless, I use them to visualize concepts. If you want good notes, use TBR books to help you design those.

I found a simple solution to this, John gives a cd of the videos free if you purchase his kit for like 50 bucks I think. John's vids are perfect on 1.5 speed ( as are kahn, he is super slow.)
I did the same thing :)
Use Gom player and put it on 1.5 and John turns out to be more fun and exciting
I even watch chad's videos on Fast forward