J1 researcher visa => H1B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandrea

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently doing research under a J1 visa (trainee); I matched in ophthalmology and Internal Medicine (prelim), the program offered to sign what ever paperwork is needed to sponsor an H1 or for the ECFMG to sponsor a J1. I obviously prefer the H1... I started the "No Objection" waiver process for my J1 in October... Am still waiting for the No Objection Statement from my country... I am a little concerned about the time frame... Anybody knows how long will it take to get the waiver once the Department of State receives the No Objection Statement? Can I start the H1B process as soon as I get the waiver? Should I start the J1 process with the ECFMG just in case?

Any help regarding this issue will be truly appreciated!! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

mandrea said:
Hi, I am currently doing research under a J1 visa (trainee); I matched in ophthalmology and Internal Medicine (prelim), the program offered to sign what ever paperwork is needed to sponsor an H1 or for the ECFMG to sponsor a J1. I obviously prefer the H1... I started the "No Objection" waiver process for my J1 in October... Am still waiting for the No Objection Statement from my country... I am a little concerned about the time frame... Anybody knows how long will it take to get the waiver once the Department of State receives the No Objection Statement? Can I start the H1B process as soon as I get the waiver? Should I start the J1 process with the ECFMG just in case?

Any help regarding this issue will be truly appreciated!! Thanks.

Hi,

I can tell you what happened to me in terms of time. The US Department of State received the "no objection" statement from my country on Jan 7th. They reviewed all the process and considered my case a "favorable" one. On Jan 27th, they submited my file to the US Immigration and Citizenship Services (USCIS), who approved and mailed the waiver on March 5th or 6th. In short, by the time the "no objection" statement reaches the US Department of State, it takes about 60 days for you to get the waiver. But I recognize that this time frame may vary a lot, usually from 30 to 90 days.

You should also be aware that you need to get a state medical liscense before apllying to an H-1b visa and that takes about 2 months. So, if you manage to have your "no objection statement" forwarded to the US Dep. State right now, you will have a good chance to obtain your waiver while you apply for your state medical liscense.

Good Luck!

Lobo

Thanks a lot for the information!!! I hope the no objection statement gets to the DOS soon!!! One more question... anybody knows if the process for the H-1B can be started before having the J1 waiver in writing... that is, can it be started as soon as the case appears "favorable" on the DOS web page?

Thanks again!!!