1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

J1 VISA CANGES...FACT OR FICTION?

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by cp00739, Apr 7, 2002.

1. cp00739

cp00739 Member
    7+ Year Member

does anyone know if there are going to be changes to obtaining J1 visas? i've heard rumors there have been changes made already..can anyone verify this or is this some street rumor???

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Stormreaver

Stormreaver The Blade of Tyshalle
    7+ Year Member

The USDA is no longer sponsoring J1 waivers. The details can be found <a href="http://www.usda.gov/news/releases/2002/03/fsj1visa.htm" target="_blank">here</a>

4. regisphilbin

regisphilbin Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm not sure I completely understand this...
    is the USDA the only governing body that does sponser J-1 visas? Or, are they only involved in the sposnering of visas for underserviced populaitons?
    if the applicant was to work for a VA hospital, would a waiver still be granted (as it is currently)?

5. Stormreaver

Stormreaver The Blade of Tyshalle
    7+ Year Member

From what I understand, the majority of "underserved areas" waivers were sponsored by the USDA. The other types of waiver (indian services, VA etc.) will still be available for now---I think.