J1 Visa for International Students - Are pod residents eligible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omicron85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With match date coming soon I wanted to ask the following question: are Canadians eligible for J1 sponsorship? I researched this but I am not so certain that this is possible for podiatry.

1) I emailed Health Canada about statement of need and they told me flat out that podiatry is not one of the specialties that they include.
2) Do podiatry residents require a statement of need form or is there another way to apply for the J1 visa?
3) Anyone who has had a J1 visa/H1 etc or has knowledge on the matter I would very much like to hear from.

Members don't see this ad.

The CASPR directory specifies which residencies are willing to sponsor H1 or J1 visas. I don't have personal experience so I'm sorry I can't answer all your questions!

Thank you for the reply. That's right you can search for residency programs that have either H1, or J1 visas. My question is more are Canadians eligible for the visa. Some people have said "yes" other people "no" and I don't think podiatry is eligible for a statement of need from health Canada, so there must be another way to apply for a J1 visa.