j1 visa-need letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balako

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I applied for Internal Medicine residency and interviewed at several places. I am in India now. I only have a visitor's visa. I would like to apply for J1 visa. How and when do I start the process? How and where do I get the need letter from Indian government? Can I try for it now before signing the contract and save time? What is the procedure for obtaining the need letter from Indian government?
I would very much appreciate any advice or guidance
Thanks
balako

Members don't see this ad.

ECFMG requires you to provide a 'statement of need' from the indian goverment. Contact ECFMG, they will be able to tell you exactly from which office this letter has to come.

If you already know what specialty(ies) you are going into, you can obtain the letter now. It is not specific to the program you are going into, but rather states 'dr soandso wishes to undertake training in internal medicine. there is currently a need in this country for practicioners in internal medicine. dr soandso has filed a statement that he intends to return to india after completion of his studies'.
So, if you are in india right now, start getting the footwork done (I do believe however that there is a maximum age for this letter, it might be 6 months. So, don't get it too early, but make sure that you know what your goverment wants from you to give you the letter).

All of the paperwork for a J1 visa has to be obtained by YOU. The programs involvement is limited to signing on the application form. No lawyer involved. If you managed to graduate medical school, you will be able to fill out the paperwork for a J1 visa.