J1 Waiver jobs at academic centers for haem/onc and other competitive specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gangstasanta

Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot of contradictory information about this. Some are saying it's very tough to find specialty jobs for your j1 visa, and that many people need to work in primary care even after doing their fellowships. Is that true?
Some say as long as you apply early and are willing to move to a different state you can get a waiver job of your specialty easily, even at academic centers. Is that true? Asking because I want to do a competitive specialty like haem/onc, and I want to be able to join academic medicine later, so I really want the waiver job to be at an academic setting...

Members don't see this ad.

I am not on J1 but taking to my Co fellows who are on that:

1. You need to apply super early on 3rd year to find the waiver, there were a lot of waivers but choosing the right fit and location is difficult, one of my co fellows said one place in Maine was asking her to do primary care some days and other days hem/onc
2. I did not know but the waiver has to. Be aproved at different goverment levels county, state and federal
3. You have to start job with in 1 month after finishing fellowship
4. They told me that you know of it gets approved after several months you apply almost close to graduation

I am not on J1 but taking to my Co fellows who are on that:

1. You need to apply super early on 3rd year to find the waiver, there were a lot of waivers but choosing the right fit and location is difficult, one of my co fellows said one place in Maine was asking her to do primary care some days and other days hem/onc
2. I did not know but the waiver has to. Be aproved at different goverment levels county, state and federal
3. You have to start job with in 1 month after finishing fellowship
4. They told me that you know of it gets approved after several months you apply almost close to graduation
Can you elaborate on the 2nd and 4th points please? Also are there haem/onc waiver jobs in academic settings?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you elaborate on the 2nd and 4th points please? Also are there haem/onc waiver jobs in academic settings?
My understanding is waiver jobs in academia are ultra diffult to get and most of the time Not available and people cover to o1

2. She said that normally you need approval from the J1 waiver at the state and federal level, that means that first the state (e.g. Illinois) has to approve the waiver them its sent to the federal. Government who take their time. To approve at well
4. My Co fellows told me that you have to sign the job by Nov and end almost at the end of fellowship they will let you know if it gets approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.