J1 Waiver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sue

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know , I am a US citizen in Med School and my spouse "to be" is on J1 visa and we heard that we should return back for 2 years after he finishes his fellowship or residency......the problem is that by that time I will be in residency in the US and he has to leave for the 2 year home requirement and that will cause us "to have our family split!!!!!!!" .Of course, if there is no solution for that I will go back with him for 2 years and delay my residency because family is more important but we heard that if he got a waiver he can stay with me here.......
I have the following questions and your replies are mostly appreciated :-

1)When do the fellow or resident start searching for the waiver .... ????

2)I know that waivers are much ore easier for primary care physicians but my fiancee is willing so much to do fellowship.......Can he apply for a waiver job in primary care "internal medicine" while he is carrying his boards in Gartroenterology or nephrology "taking in consideration that he will accept to work for the 3 year waiver in primary care field?

3)Which is first to be done search for a waiver job or to apply for a waiver for the 2 year home return ?

4)From where to find about waiver jobs ? Is there a useful web site or an agency for that ?

5)Suppose he was successful in finding a waiver....Can I change his status from the J1 ?
since the waiver needs 3 years to obtain the GC ...what if at that time I petitioned for him .....how faster will it be???

6)again we know that primary care got the best options for waivers......but is there a fellowship that got an advantage over other fellowships in waivers?

7)During his residency and fellowship......he will be licened in the 2 states that he will be doing residency and fellowship...right???
What if the waiver was in another state??? will he face difficulty in obtaining that waiver job because he is not licened in that state?

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by sue:
•You know , I am a US citizen in Med School and my spouse "to be" is on J1 visa and we heard that we should return back for 2 years after he finishes his fellowship or residency......the problem is that by that time I will be in residency in the US and he has to leave for the 2 year home requirement and that will cause us "to have our family split!!!!!!!" .Of course, if there is no solution for that I will go back with him for 2 years and delay my residency because family is more important but we heard that if he got a waiver he can stay with me here.......
I have the following questions and your replies are mostly appreciated :-?•••••I'm not an expert but I'll try to help where I can.

•••quote:•••1)When do the fellow or resident start searching for the waiver .... ?????••••As per my understanding, in the last year of residency/fellowship, I would think at least 6 months in advance.

•••quote:•••2)I know that waivers are much ore easier for primary care physicians but my fiancee is willing so much to do fellowship.......Can he apply for a waiver job in primary care "internal medicine" while he is carrying his boards in Gartroenterology or nephrology "taking in consideration that he will accept to work for the 3 year waiver in primary care field?••••It's possible, from what I know.

•••quote:•••3)Which is first to be done search for a waiver job or to apply for a waiver for the 2 year home return ?••••No idea, but I think they go hand in hand.

•••quote:•••4)From where to find about waiver jobs ? Is there a useful web site or an agency for that ?••••There are certain Govt. Agencies which sponsor waivers. Previously, the major sponsor of waivers was the USDA, but they have stopped sponsoring waivers as of this year. As for the other agencies, you should do a web search or (eventually) contact a lawyer who deals with such cases.

•••quote:•••5)Suppose he was successful in finding a waiver....Can I change his status from the J1 ?
since the waiver needs 3 years to obtain the GC ...what if at that time I petitioned for him .....how faster will it be???••••The status is changed once the waiver is completed, but I don't know how long the GC takes to come through.

•••quote:•••6)again we know that primary care got the best options for waivers......but is there a fellowship that got an advantage over other fellowships in waivers?••••No idea; of course fellowship is 2 years down the road so its nothing to worry about now.

•••quote:•••7)During his residency and fellowship......he will be licened in the 2 states that he will be doing residency and fellowship...right???
What if the waiver was in another state??? will he face difficulty in obtaining that waiver job because he is not licened in that state?••••I don't think so, he'll just have to get endorsed for licensure in another state. No sweat.

Of course, this is such a complex field that I don't know how accurate my responses are. The best thing would be to contact an agenciy that helps physicians deal with waivers. There was a poster on the Board a few months back who calimed to be part of one such agency.