J1 waivers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fowleri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am trying to finish my rank list for this year's match and I was hoping to get some advice from someone who has gone through the whole J1 process before. I am trying to judge how much weight I should give to whether a residency program sponsor's H1B visa or just accepts J1. I have a couple programs that I really liked that only accept J1 and then I have some that are great academic programs that do sponsor H1B but that I didn't absolutely love like the other ones. I have read and know the basic differences, advantages, disadvantages and rules of both, but I haven't found much information about the 2-year rule waiver jobs in underserved areas.

If I ended up with a J1 visa... are the J1 waiver jobs very hard to get? Are they all in the middle of nowhere in undesirable places? Or are there some in county hospitals and VA hospitals in big cities like San Diego, Miami or Houston? Are they in general dreadful jobs or just like any other job, that just happens to be in an undeserved area? Are they full time and so time consuming that it will be impossible to continue to do research during those 3 years and forcing me to interrupt an academic career for 3 years?

Any input will be greatly appreciated, as I have to submit my final rank list very soon. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.