J2 visa question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorP

i did it
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe somebody can answer my question....
I am currently on J2 visa. My wife is a resident and she will finish her residency in 2006. Our goal is to apply for a waiver, so that we could stay here and practice medicine in the US.
I've heard that sometimes when J1 holders is a physician doing a residency, J2 - who is also a resident - doesn't have to change a status and is able to start his/her residency on J2. Can anyone comment on this?
If so, where should I call and ask?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

hi, sorry , but i can't aswer your question , i want to ask you about J1 visa, because I want to start this long process ( ecfmg certification) , i am very optimistic, but i want to know if it is a big problem the one regardins J1.
thamk you

flormb said:
hi, sorry , but i can't aswer your question , i want to ask you about J1 visa, because I want to start this long process ( ecfmg certification) , i am very optimistic, but i want to know if it is a big problem the one regardins J1.
thamk you

All important information regarding J1 and H1 visa you can find on ecfmg web site. It's: www.ecfmg.org
As far as J1 goes, there are usually no problems, unless the particular program doesn't accept IMGs. When you are matched they will send you a contract you should sign, complete all aplications (together with the letter of need from your government), pay all fees and send it all to ECFMG. And then, after an approval, you should get your paperwork within few weeks, so that you can go to the US Consulate or Embassy to get J1/H1 visa.
Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I'm aware, you'll need your own J-1. The purpose of the J-1, in this instance, is to allow for medical training AND insure that the person goes back to the home country after completion of training (except if a waiver is granted). Thus, to begin residency, you will need your own J-1. Otherwise, your wife's J-1 waiver would automatically also apply for you, and while that's a nice prospect, I'm pretty sure that it's a loophole which has been filled.

At least that's what I understand. But contact the State Dept. They'll know for sure.

doctorP said:
Maybe somebody can answer my question....
I am currently on J2 visa. My wife is a resident and she will finish her residency in 2006. Our goal is to apply for a waiver, so that we could stay here and practice medicine in the US.
I've heard that sometimes when J1 holders is a physician doing a residency, J2 - who is also a resident - doesn't have to change a status and is able to start his/her residency on J2. Can anyone comment on this?
If so, where should I call and ask?
Thanks.

Yes you can do residency on J2,but you need to get an EAD along with J2.
I chose J1 for this very reason so that my spouse doesn't have any visa issues.

It can be done, but I believe you have to apply for an EAD. This will take around 90 days to obtain.

Problem is that your status is dependent on your wifes status. If she finishes residency before you, you can't extend the J2. Can she do a fellowship to 'synchronize' your graduation dates ?

The other problem are some regulations regarding the amount of money you are allowed to make. Your income is not allowed to substantially contribute to the living expenses of the family. The primary J1's stipend has to be higher than yours. Residency salaries can be variable, even in the same region (I used to work with people at the same PGY level who made 5k more than me, just bc their salary line came from a unionized hospital)

J2 based on your wife is more desireable than individual J1s from one point of view:

Once you are both done with residency, only the J1 holder needs to get a waiver job. The J2 holder can change to H4 status and hang out until he/she finds a job in the vicinity of the other spouse that can sponsor H1b. This job DOESN'T have to be a waiver eligilible position. Also, once the J1 has a valid waiver, the J2 can pursue a green-card right away and doesn't have to contend with certain waiver related state regulations.

Good luck, you have a long rocky path in front of you.