Jacket and Tie for interviews F a suit!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rjmst, Nov 15, 2002.

1. rjmst

rjmst Banned
    Banned

HI. I am wearing a blazer and tie to my interview as opposed to a suit. Those of you who do not like it may bite me.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jot

jot

::: pat pat:::: thats great.

there was a guy with me at duke who was wearing a tweed blazer, khaki pants and merril hiking boots - and he'd alraedy bagged a stanford acceptance. whatever you're comfortable in - goodluck

-jot

4. tryingagain

tryingagain Soon to have no life

God, thank you for telling me. I was really worried that you were going to go with the suit. Now I can finally get some damn sleep. Thank you so much for letting me know.

5. wolferman

wolferman Member?

Resident [Any Field]
    Just in case you run into me, I'll be the one in the CK pinstripe and cashmere/wool top coat looking so money. And make dang sure to avert your eyes...you're not worthy.

6. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Is it a hunter green blazer???

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. UCLA2000

Attending Physician
    There was a guy at penn wearing a redish maroon shirt with a trendy tie...and a jacket.

Never seen it before...

8. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

Exactly my thoughts, tryingagain. ;) I can now live a full life knowing this information.

9. GoodMonkey

GoodMonkey sproutmobile

Resident [Any Field]
    there was a guy at my duke interview wearing jeans. and a blue blazer w/a tie. i guess what ever you're comfortable in, but he mentioned he hadn't any acceptances yet. i've seen some odd interview outfits on the circuits lately. :)

anyway, thanks so much for starting this thread. i was looking for someone to bite. :D

10. kreno

kreno Candy Man

Um, i'm not saying it's impossible to get an acceptance if you don't wear a suit - but for god's sake, wear one!

Too many of you majored in non-business majors and don't seem to understand just how UNPROFESSIONAL it is to wear anything but a suit to an interview! Jeans? That's disrespectful.

What DOWNFALL is there to wearing a suit? Are you uncomfortable? If so, you are a disrespectful hick. Not even a hick - i'm a hick and wear suits!

Plus, you better get used to it; you're going to be a physician... grow up.

And if money is an issue, get a job and get a decent suit at a random department suit.

Ridiculous. If my management professor saw this thread he'd freak. Where did you grow up?

that's my two cents

kreno

11. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat

How asinine. There is nothing inherently unprofessional or disrespectful about wearing a jacket and tie as opposed to a suit. It all depends on the specifics -- a bad suit is worse than a good jacket and tie. Maybe instead of being just another stiff in a dark suit you can make an impression by looking good in something else. By the way, most physicians don't wear suits.

12. :laugh: :laugh:

by the way whats the diff. btw a blazer and a suit?

13. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent

immy- a blazer is just a jacket whereas a suit involves a jacket with matching pants. Generally, blazers are worn with pants (or skirt) that are also business-y but aren't the same material/color/pattern. Blazers and slacks are usually more casual than suits. hope that helps

14. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27

Resident [Any Field]
    I've gotta half-way agree here. Yeah, tradition can be stupid, but you know there is a decent chance an interviewer is going to think that you aren't serious about applying, may even be offended, and then you may not get in. Do you really want to risk it? Would you also refer to the interviewer(s) by their first names rather than as Dr. Soandso?

15. Thanks chopsuey!

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. kreno

kreno Candy Man

yeah, what the heck is "asinine" about what I said?

If you are atteneding a formal event.. you dress appropriately. Otherwise, you just look like the idiot who was trying to get extra attention. Simple as that - you weren't raised in a cave.

18. KBCoch

KBCoch Senior Member

I have to defend the guy in jeans at Duke. I was at the same interview with him at Emory and Duke. He was wearing a very nice suit at Emory, and then only wore half of it to Duke (one half jeans). I shared a cab to the airport with him and asked about the jeans. He said that his suit pants slipped off the hanger on the plane unbeknownst to him. He didn't discover it until the next morning. He actually went to the mall that morning to try to buy pants, but the stores were closed, and he ended up being a bit late for the interview day. He said that he started out both of his interviews explaining the story, and it was probably a good ice-breaker. He said both interviewers were very understanding.

So that's my defense of the infamous man in jeans.
    p.s. He's lucky that he packed pretty nice jeans.

19. mountainlander

mountainlander Junior Member

Anybody seen that show on PAX with Billy Ray Cyrus playing a doctor?:rolleyes:

I think it's called "Doc" or something lame like that. Tell you what, that's exactly the type of doctor I want to be.

Me, suit it is--and I put in 4 weekends of overtime to afford it. To me it represents the hard work I put in, the significance of interview day, and my respect for the establishment. It's like a suit of armor. All I have to do is feel the wool in my hands and no tough interview question is going to cow me--I'll remember how hard I've busted my butt to be sitting in the hot seat!!