Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbiddy808

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what percentage of patients at Jackson Memorial do not speak english as their first language and how many cannot speak english at all.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have experience with the hospital, but I can tell you that 66% of Miami is hispanic, and 55% of the adult citizens did not complete highschool.

don't forget, jackson is public = poor, uninsured, immigrant patient pop.
so better brush up on your spansish

a large large percentage.
i would split the patients n 3 equal divisions. 1/3 can speak perfect english. the second 1/3 are okay, and can speak managable english, and the remaining 1/3 cant speak english at all, and are usually with relatives who cant speak much of it either.

so beware.

I have been at JMH for the past two years and I speak spanish fluently. I would say that I spend the majority of the time speaking spanish. There is also another small percentage of patients that speak Creole. Most of the patient population consists of indigent Hispanic/Black/Haitian people. About 30-40% of the patients are white and speak English. I have noticed it is very frustrating for those who do not speak spanish but most people seem to pick up the key words needed to take a history, consent a patient, and explain treatment. There are translators available all the time and they usually arrive within 5 minutes of your page. Whatever your background is, you will end up finishing your residency with a decent knowledge of spanish. Its the nature of the beast here so I guess my advice is to be willing to have an open mind towards a different culture or go to a hospital where everyone is American.

if you know French, can you get along in Creole? just wondering, I'm looking at JMH. Also I've heard the workload is INTENSE, can you speak to this?