Jackson Memorial Hospital (Miami)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syringe3131

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering Jackson Memorial Hospital/U of Miami's IM program, and I would appreciate any input on the program from any med students or housestaff.

I really like their program and was impressed by their interview day and hospitals, however, I dont understand how the majority of their housestaff are still from U of Miami predominantly. Are they having trouble recruiting other students from FL and nationally? In addition to general strengths/weaknessess, what about Fellowship placement for Heme/Onc and Cards? THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm seriously considering Jackson Memorial Hospital/U of Miami's IM program, and I would appreciate any input on the program from any med students or housestaff.

I really like their program and was impressed by their interview day and hospitals, however, I dont understand how the majority of their housestaff are still from U of Miami predominantly. Are they having trouble recruiting other students from FL and nationally? In addition to general strengths/weaknessess, what about Fellowship placement for Heme/Onc and Cards? THANKS!

From what I remember, 1/3 of the residency spots go to UM students, 1/3 to the Latin American Training program, and 1/3 to other AMGs. As for fellowship placement, I believe most stay in-house.

For some reason internal medicine in Florida is not regarded as competitive as some other places in the south and definitely compared to northeast and west coast programs. I interviewed there for renal fellowship and there was definitely a big difference compared to some of the northern and west coast programs I visited...I would assume this would be somewhat similar for the IM residency

Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason internal medicine in Florida is not regarded as competitive as some other places in the south and definitely compared to northeast and west coast programs. I interviewed there for renal fellowship and there was definitely a big difference compared to some of the northern and west coast programs I visited...I would assume this would be somewhat similar for the IM residency

Do you know if the IM program is strong? How are the fellowships compared to other SW programs like UAB, Duke, UVA, and Emory?

Do you know if the IM program is strong? How are the fellowships compared to other SW programs like UAB, Duke, UVA, and Emory?

In my opinion, Jackson Memorial is not in the same league as the above mentioned places.

Why is that? I am considering the place for PGY-1 for an categorical position.

Duke is a pretty competitive program and probably does not compete for the same pool of applicants that apply to UMiami. Some who has a good shot at Duke is probably considering programs of the caliber of Vanderbilt, UTSW, Baylor and perhaps UCLA, UCSF on the west coast and the big Northeast programs. Emory and UAB are also ranked nationally as good IM programs but certainly less competitive than Duke. UVa I don't know much about.
I only know Jackson Memorial from my fellowship interview and really was not very impressed. I would also assume that many of the people that match there have connections to the miami area/have interest in living in south florida. You will more commonly see students from areas outside the south to apply to places like Duke, Vanderbilt, UTSW, Emory and less to Florida IM programs.

Why is that? I am considering the place for PGY-1 for an categorical position.

Don't let the lack of prestige change your mind if you enjoyed your interview day there and can see yourself train there. Ultimately, your day to day happiness is more important than what others may think of your program. Good luck!

Don't let the lack of prestige change your mind if you enjoyed your interview day there and can see yourself train there. Ultimately, your day to day happiness is more important than what others may think of your program. Good luck!

Yes, this is absolutely true. I wouldn't recommend to rank a program solely on prestige but if your list includes Duke, I would think very hard before ranking it below Miami. Jackson Memorial is a county hospital and it seems very busy; although you'll see many interesting cases and take care of the indigent, the lack of ancillary and support services can make your job much harder and affect your reading/educational time. If everybody is swamped with clinical work there is less time and interest to purse education and academic activities. You want to chose a program that balances strong clinical training with good teaching and academic opportunities. Jackson Memorial seems to be one of those malignant programs that work their residents extra hard but I'm not sure that there is anything special about it that would make it rank it above the other programs that were mentioned.
Sure, living in Miami seems like a nice idea, but other than that I did not see the quality that I saw in other programs.
I can tell you that when I interviewed there for fellowship, the program directors expressed they don't "usually get the best fellows"....that for me is somewhat of a red flag. Most of the programs I visited thought very highly of their chosen fellows regardless of whether they were nationally ranked programs or not.
Ultimately you'll have your own personal reasons to rank it higher or lower than other programs...I think that what we say about this program will likely have little effect on your ultimate plans on how to rank but it is always entertaining to see what other people think about certain programs. Good luck with your search