Jagiellonian University and Poznan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blimp

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any one out there know anything about Jagiellonian University and/or Poznan University? Any experiences with the schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I, too, would like to know more about the schools (particularly the Jagionellian).

Jagiellonian University is in Krakow, Poland. It has an English language medical faculty which is accredited in all 50 US states with a 6 year post high school program and a 4 year post college program. The 4 yr grad program has a max enrollment of 35 students per year, requires all the premed classes, a college degree, and MCATs. This particular faculty has private affiliations with URochester and has recently signed agreements with several California schools allowing for completion of electives in said university hospitals, all this is on their website: www.medschool.cm-uj.krakow.pl/ If there are any specific questions, please post.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds like a good program. Can anyone provide some insight on Poznan, other that it was named after a poet?

Does anyone know of any Jagiellonian MD graduates in the Chicago area and what their experience has been like upon returning? Reason I ask about Chicago is because of the huge Polish-American community. Perhaps the IMG (from Poland) stigma is not as strong in Chicago as it may be elsewhere in the states. Perhaps this is an ignorant question, but I am just curious.

Does anyone know of any Jagiellonian MD graduates in the Chicago area and what their experience has been like upon returning? Reason I ask about Chicago is because of the huge Polish-American community. Perhaps the IMG (from Poland) stigma is not as strong in Chicago as it may be elsewhere in the states. Perhaps this is an ignorant question, but I am just curious.

I only know of one graduate from Lodz living currently in Chicago as a resident, but there must be more. I would tell you to go to UJ medical program graduates group on facebook. Trust me, there is one. Just post a question on the wall, I'm sure someone will get back to you.
As for stigma, I would say the most annoying comment you get when you tell people in the US that you're from UJ in Poland is the "your english is really good!" comment. There are those of course who think they're better than you because they went to a US med school, and there are those who don't care. Every hospital has a mix, but I hear the smaller hospitals are friendlier on average. In a city where there's a large Polish population (my experience was in a different Polish city, but I'm sure its similar) your only advantage is if you speak Polish. And it's even better if you speak Spanish too.

I only know of one graduate from Lodz living currently in Chicago as a resident, but there must be more. I would tell you to go to UJ medical program graduates group on facebook. Trust me, there is one. Just post a question on the wall, I'm sure someone will get back to you.
As for stigma, I would say the most annoying comment you get when you tell people in the US that you're from UJ in Poland is the "your english is really good!" comment. There are those of course who think they're better than you because they went to a US med school, and there are those who don't care. Every hospital has a mix, but I hear the smaller hospitals are friendlier on average. In a city where there's a large Polish population (my experience was in a different Polish city, but I'm sure its similar) your only advantage is if you speak Polish. And it's even better if you speak Spanish too.

Hey aleks, is the one you know who graduated from Lodz now doing residency in chicago, a graduate from medical university of Lodz? Im curious because medical university of Lodz sounds a good med school to go too. anyway, wanted to know because im considering that school. i want to know if there are any others here too who are already studying medicine in that school. thanks and any help would be appreciated.

I am starting up on the 6 year MD program in Poznan in one month... I bet I will be making some reviews on the university after a while so you guys can get an impression on how it is there... I am from Norway though, not the US

I have to pull out this old thread with the hope of some new insights.
So I really really really want to go to medical school in Krakau, the 6 year program. My grades from High School (in Germnay) are awful but Im currently in my 5th semester at an American University studying Biomedical Science with a GPA of 3.73.
Any Idea what they would say to this GPA to bad? Or not?
Mostly Im worried about that, from what I understand they do a test sometime in May and then they tell you if you are accepted or not...Now I wonder, did anyone ever hear of a pre acceptance for the 6 year program? What I mean is this; I got my apartment here until may, say I will get accepted than I got to pay another year lease, than the school starts in september, I mean I need a Visa, flights apartments over there and so on how is that even possible in the time from say June to September?
If I don't get accepted but quit my lease I don't have a home :)
Anyone experience with that?
I hope you guys get my point...the timeframe between them telling me yes or no seems just so short.
Well, anyone that knows anything please let me know... the school is terribly slow in replying, which is fine but I'm so excited.