James. H Quillen College of Medicine

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Mwz1024, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Mwz1024

Mwz1024 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Is this COM a good school??? How good is it's reputation?

2. TechMan

TechMan Dreams Stuff are Made of.
    10+ Year Member

It is an excellent primary care school.

3. kd

kd Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm a first-year at Quillen and will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the school or the area.
    As far as reputation goes, the poster above is accurate- Quillen is a relatively young school (founded in the late 1970's) so it isn't as nationally known as older schools. The school does have a very strong reputation in primary care; if you care about rankings, US News ranks it in the top 25 primary care schools. Family medicine, in particular, is a very strong department here. Still, a fair number of our graduates end up specializing- I think about 40% of graduates end up doing something other than primary care and every year, you get a handful of people matching in derm, ortho, radiology, etc.
    What you don't get at Quillen is a lot of the high-powered research (though there are some opportunities for research, e.g., in Family Medicine, but not a lot of bench research). You also don't get a lot of big city medicine- you won't see things like heart or liver transplants here. But if you have a strong interest in primary care, there's no reason to look any further.

4. einey

einey Member
    15+ Year Member

I've never heard of Quillen. Is this an MD or DO school? Where is it?

5. Ibis

Ibis Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If your an out of stater, I wouldn't recommend applying.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...