Jan 2010 PCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TnTpharmD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Looked for an official score thread for Jan 2010 and could not find one. So my excitement made me make one.

Got my scores in the mail today.
This was my first time taking the PCAT.

Verbal 97
Biology 96
Reading Comprehension 60
Quant Ability 16
Chemistry 68
Composite 82

Conventions of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

I have a Bachelors in Chemistry (2009)

I knew after the exam I did badly in the Math section. After the 1st half of the PCAT, I was drained mentally and did not walk with anything to eat or drink for the break. Hopefully in the schools I'm applying to it won't hurt me. I was worried that my handwriting was illegible near the end of the essays as I rushed to finish.

My thoughts after the exam.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9158061#post9158061
I thought I did pretty well in the Reading Comprehension. Guess not.

Dr. Collin's material definetly helped with the Bio and Verbal. I should have focused more on the math and Chemistry practice questions. Time managenment is important as well as being exposed to PCAT styled questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys. Looked for an official score thread for Jan 2010 and could not find one. So my excitement made me make one.

Got my scores in the mail today.
This was my first time taking the PCAT.

Verbal 97
Biology 96
Reading Comprehension 60
Quant Ability 16
Chemistry 68
Composite 82

Conventions of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

I have a Bachelors in Chemistry (2009)

I knew after the exam I did badly in the Math section. After the 1st half of the PCAT, I was drained mentally and did not walk with anything to eat or drink for the break. Hopefully in the schools I'm applying to it won't hurt me. I was worried that my handwriting was illegible near the end of the essays as I rushed to finish.

Where do you live? Just trying to figure out when I will get my scores.:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. I was not expecting results till mid March. What a shock. Walking from the mailbox to inside my home, thoughts of repeating the PCATs again ran through my mind. I really happy about my composite score, but the math score......damn. I knew I did badly, but did everyone else really did so good? Hope you guys and gals that expecting scores get good news too.

Hi, I'm from Illinois.

Also a first time taker, got my results in the mail...

Verbal Ability 71
Biology 96
Reading Comprehension 82
QA 94
Chemistry 92

Composite 95

Conventions: 3.0
Problem Solving: 3.0

Overall I'm happy with my numbers. My scores followed closely to what both my practice tests predicted -- but my verbal is lower and chem is lower. On the real exam, there were a lot of weird words on the verbal analogies that I wasn't familiar with (English is my native language). I'm kind of surprised with my bio score, since I felt like I was just making educational guesses on a lot of the problems (plus I have never taken a plant bio class...but then again I graduated with a bio degree). Writing is whatever, I never did the practice essays. I think I got a little lucky since one of the topics was something I wrote an essay about in high school.

Suggestions for people who will take the PCAT in the future:
1. Purchase the old exams and treat them like the real deal--especially the timing!! If you go over the time limit on the practice tests, you WILL go over it on the real exam. If this is the case, you need to develop a strategy for the real exam.
2. Eat a breakfast in the morning. Make sure you bring plenty of food and water to the test date. Do not set yourself to burn out during the exam.:confused:
3. Bring a hand watch and set it to 12:00 before each section. That way you will know how many minutes you have left.
4. Bring a mechanical pencil for the essay sections. It sucks to have your regular pencils become dull -- your hand only gets tired and fatigued = preventable loss of energy.:thumbdown:

I'll post more if I think of anything else....

That's crazy you got them already! I live in mid-Florida and I have not received mine. They're also not available for purchase yet on the person site. Congrats on your outstanding scores

thanks TnT. Good job to you too!

I read that scores were mailed out a couple of days ago ... so I wasn't expecting it until Saturday the earliest (aka still have time to relax before utter disappointment).

When I saw it in the mail today :)eek:lol), my arms started to tremble immediately. ughhhhhhh hate that feeling.

Hi, I'm from Illinois.

Also a first time taker, got my results in the mail...

Verbal Ability 71
Biology 96
Reading Comprehension 82
QA 94
Chemistry 92

Composite 95

Overall I'm happy with my numbers. My scores followed closely to what both my practice tests predicted -- but my verbal is lower and chem is lower. On the real exam, there were a lot of weird words on the verbal analogies that I wasn't familiar with (English is my native language). I'm kind of surprised with my bio score, since I felt like I was just making educational guesses on a lot of the problems (plus I have never taken a plant bio class...but then again I graduated with a bio degree). Writing is whatever, I never did the practice essays. I think I got a little lucky since one of the topics was something I wrote an essay about in high school.

Suggestions for people who will take the PCAT in the future:
1. Purchase the old exams and treat them like the real deal--especially the timing!! If you go over the time limit on the practice tests, you WILL go over it on the real exam. If this is the case, you need to develop a strategy for the real exam.
2. Eat a breakfast in the morning. Make sure you bring plenty of food and water to the test date. Do not set yourself to burn out during the exam.:confused:
3. Bring a hand watch and set it to 12:00 before each section. That way you will know how many minutes you have left.
4. Bring a mechanical pencil for the essay sections. It sucks to have your regular pencils become dull -- your hand only gets tired and fatigued = preventable loss of energy.:thumbdown:

I'll post more if I think of anything else....

Great scores Hobbes! Congratulations!

I also agree that the Verbal section was really odd, especially some of the analogies. I was thinking, 'What type of an ingredient is this?' on one of the questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
after reading this thread i ran to the mailbox lol. i got my scores (i live in Miami, fl). i am happy, i went from a 58 composite to a 79! :D
still did bad on reading comp (37) but oh well. hopefully schools will look at my high chem/bio scores before that.

after reading this thread i ran to the mailbox lol. i got my scores (i live in Miami, fl). i am happy, i went from a 58 composite to a 79! :D
still did bad on reading comp (37) but oh well. hopefully schools will look at my high chem/bio scores before that.

congrats!!

can anyone helps me how to interpret the scores? im struggling to find out what are scaled score and what are percentile rank? which scores/percentile consider to be ok? cuz for now i'm so terrified to look at all these low numbers...:(

can anyone helps me how to interpret the scores? im struggling to find out what are scaled score and what are percentile rank? which scores/percentile consider to be ok? cuz for now i'm so terrified to look at all these low numbers...:(

well 400 scaled scores= 50 percentile..

usually 425 composite scaled score is considered to be ok... which is the same as 80 percentile (approximately)

GOOD LUCK..!!!

so a score of 390 and percentile rank of 24, what does that mean?

well 400 scaled scores= 50 percentile..

usually 425 composite scaled score is considered to be ok... which is the same as 80 percentile (approximately)

GOOD LUCK..!!!

Ok so 390 composite score is the average of scaled scores of all 5 sections..and 24 percentile means you performed better than 24 percent of students who took PCAT first time from 2004 to 2007..

Is that your composite score? If so, that means you did better than 24% of the people who took the exam over the last few years. Hopefully, that 24%tile is just for a section and it's not your composite since you really need somewhere around a 70%tile to be"competitive".

thanks chemguy. and I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. We are doomed to remember our moments of confusion forever. ;)

Is that your composite score? If so, that means you did better than 24% of the people who took the exam over the last few years. Hopefully, that 24%tile is just for a section and it's not your composite since you really need somewhere around a 70%tile to be"competitive".

that's my composite :( i'll have to take the test again in june then :(

I feel you annievu :(. I just got my score and I have a composite scaled score of 392, and percentile rank of 27.

Thank you Dr. Collins! I went from a 67 composite in August to an 86 this time around! I was so scared to open the envelope, so my girlfriend had to open it for me. Lol.:laugh:

Here are my results, just got them in the mail. First time test taker as well. You guys think this is good enough or should i take it again? Thanks

Verbal Ability: 86
Biology:71
Reading Comprehension: 79
Quantitative Ability: 61
Chemistry: 64
Composite: 76

Here are my results, just got them in the mail. First time test taker as well. You guys think this is good enough or should i take it again? Thanks

Verbal Ability: 86
Biology:71
Reading Comprehension: 79
Quantitative Ability: 61
Chemistry: 64
Composite: 76

I'd be pretty pumped if I got these scores. If you have a decent GPA I would say you're sittin pretty

Finaly i got my scores too in mail today(Michigan). Im a first time taker as well and i studied for only a month. This are my scored what do u guys think.

Verbal 63
Bio 80
Read 42
Quantativ 88
Chemistry 73
Composite 74

And for those who took pearson practice exams my scores are way better than the pearson practice exams i took right before right before the the real on.

I think i have the capability to do much better should i retake it or just apply with this score.

Albo

I got my score today.

Verbal Ability 398 45
Biology 421 80
Reading Comprehension 391 31
Quantitative Ability 469 99
Chemistry 449 95
Composite 426 87

Verbal: 50
Biology: 96
Reading: 26
Quant: 98
Chem: 99
Composite: 93

Not bad, studied with Dr. Collin's kit, but saw the whole package as a review, not as learning material.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should I pay 20 dollars to see my score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what do yall think? I have already applied to pharm school and been accepted but not to my first choice yet! I need to do well to get in to my first choice!!!!!!

verbal 53
bio 87
reading 10
quantatitive 55
chemistry 85
composite 60

I don't understand what happen with my reading comprehension ?? I finished all but the 6th section.
Do you think I should ask to have it manually re-graded?

is this your first time gator? if so then sometimes it won't turn out like you predicted.
about the manual regrade... you should check and see if they allow you to only do this once.

is this your first time gator? if so then sometimes it won't turn out like you predicted.
about the manual regrade... you should check and see if they allow you to only do this once.

This is my second time taking the PCAT. The first time, my quantatitative was a 7. I'm happy I got it up to what it is now. I just don't understand how my reading comprehension could be so low cause I knew most of the answers. I got to the 6th reading prompt when they called time and had to guess those but I'm still confused how I wound up with just a 10% RC...

Last edited:
I got so caught up with my score improvement and forgot to post sub scores. I used only the Dr. Collins packets for review. The last exam that I got a 67 composite, I used the Kaplan. There was too much information in the Kaplan guide for me, and it was missing microbiology and ochem. I'm happy with my score though! Congrats to everyone on their scores. If you didn't do to well, study and it'll pay off. You can do it! Awesome scores Hobbes714!:thumbup:

Verbal: 82
Bio: 96
Chem: 93
RC: 42
QA: 65
Composite: 86

I live in MT and got my scores today via snail mail. They were a lot different than I expected.

Verbal - 89
Biology - 94
Reading Comp - 60
Quantitative - 70
Chemistry - 91
Writing - 3/3

Composite - 88

I thought Reading Comprehension would be my highest score. I finished with plenty of time left and even double checked them. I don't know how I got a 60. Biology is by far my weakest subject. I have only taken one Biology class and no Anatomy, Physiology or Microbiology. Chemistry is a surprise too, since 5 minutes was called and I still had 13 questions left to answer. I haven't taken a math class in 7 years, but I honestly thought my Quant score would be higher.

I'm pretty happy with my score. I hardly studied at all, despite spending a bunch of money on the Dr. Collins packets. Looking at my scores now, I wish I had spent some time studying, because I think I could have easily got in to the 90s.

My best advice for anyone taking an upcoming test is to practice the pace of the test. I was almost always rushed at the end.

sorry for this off topic questions.
but i was wondering if anyone has taken the pcat kaplan course yet? is it helpful? or what is a good way to prepare for the pcat.

i am planning to take my pcat in August.

I got my scores today! First time taking the test.

Verbal: 423/82
Biology: 421/80
Reading Comprehension: 433/89
Quantitative: 423/78
Chemistry: 430/85
Writing: 3/3

Composite: 426/87

I am so excited!!

i just got my scores today.. its the first time i took the pcat. do you think this will get me into a pharmacy school? I am a biochemistry major, and I'm pretty happy with everything except quantitative.. I just really messed up the timing of that section :(

Verbal: 437 (92%)
Biology: 440 (94%)
Reading: 422 (79%)
Quantitative: 408 (55%)
Chemistry: 426 (81%)
Composite: 427 (88%)

This is my second time taking the PCAT. The first time, my quantatitative was a 7. I'm happy I got it up to what it is now. I just don't understand how my reading comprehension could be so low cause I knew most of the answers. I got to the 6th reading prompt when they called time and had to guess those but I'm still confused how I wound up with just a 10% RC...

I have to be honest, if you got a 7 the first time and a 10 this time, don't bother to have it manually checked, that's your score. It's not as if it was a 80 and now it's a 10, it was low both times. The reading comprehension is tricky and the answers are often written to all be an answer, you just have to find the BEST one. Best of luck to you!