Jan 2010 PCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TnTpharmD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Looked for an official score thread for Jan 2010 and could not find one. So my excitement made me make one.

Got my scores in the mail today.
This was my first time taking the PCAT.

Verbal 97
Biology 96
Reading Comprehension 60
Quant Ability 16
Chemistry 68
Composite 82

Conventions of Language 3.0
Problem Solving 3.0

I have a Bachelors in Chemistry (2009)

I knew after the exam I did badly in the Math section. After the 1st half of the PCAT, I was drained mentally and did not walk with anything to eat or drink for the break. Hopefully in the schools I'm applying to it won't hurt me. I was worried that my handwriting was illegible near the end of the essays as I rushed to finish.

My thoughts after the exam.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9158061#post9158061
I thought I did pretty well in the Reading Comprehension. Guess not.

Dr. Collin's material definetly helped with the Bio and Verbal. I should have focused more on the math and Chemistry practice questions. Time managenment is important as well as being exposed to PCAT styled questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey what is the actual point score for your reading section? English is also my second language and I totally felt that the reading section was a torture. I'm a chemistry major but I still think that those reading sections were way too abstruse for nonnative students. thanks for your time.

Reading 12% - 375... my worst score. Hope you get a good score.

I got my scores today and was stoked!
My last pcat composite was a 58
Verbal 73
Biology 75
Reading 48
Quantitative ablilty 91
Chemistry 95
Composite 85
I could not be happier with my results!
Dr. Collins is the man!!!!

This is my third time taking the PCAT and I improved from 53 composite to 80. Dr. Collins and the Pcat Destroyer helped me a lot!!!! If I only used kaplan again, my score would've tanked. I would recommend using PCAT Destroyer and Dr. Collins.

Verbal: 50
Biology: 98:love:
reading 15:(
Quantitative 88
Chemistry 88
Composite 80
GPA 3.34

I know that my reading is low. Do you think that this will hinder my chances of re-applying to pharmacy school. I applied in the 08-09 cycle and graduated with a Bachelors of Science in 09, but wasn't accepted. I decided to take a year off and work as a pharm clerk/tech, then re-apply in this up coming cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
you might want to check each school individually because some programs REQUIRE a minimum score on each section of the PCAT (like a 25 for example).

Everyone is singing their praises to Dr. Collins! I did not know anything about this study packet until I came on here. I hope I still do well not using this miracle worker.

anybody use this packet thoroughly and still not do well? I want to know if there is a bias on here like how only the ppl who score well post their pcat scores.

Everyone is singing their praises to Dr. Collins! I did not know anything about this study packet until I came on here. I hope I still do well not using this miracle worker.

anybody use this packet thoroughly and still not do well? I want to know if there is a bias on here like how only the ppl who score well post their pcat scores.

Well I did well, but I DIDN'T use Dr. Collins. I bought the McGraw-Hill book and even though it completely mislead me on the math section, I still got an 87 composite. But there is definitely a bias in terms of people only posting there scores if they do well, so don't worry. Although there are low scores posted too.

Hey guys~ I just received my PCAT score today:

Verbal Ability: 14
Biology: 90
Reading Comprehension: 19
Quantitative Ability: 99
Chemistry: 88
Composite: 79

Writing: 3/3

It was my first time writing PCAT. English is not my first language, so I have no right to complain about anything. Sad.....:(
May I ask you guys a quick question? Does anyone know any Pharmacy school in US that only looks at Composite score and allows entrance for international students?

I just got my scores online and I am so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
It was my 3rd time taking the pcat and I used Dr. Collins Study Guide.

Chemistry 449 95
Quantitative Ability 438 91
Reading Comprehension 375 12
Biology 429 87
Verbal Ability 432 89
Composite 425 86

Hey did you use Dr. Collins study guide for reading comprehension? I didn't find it useful. There were some verbatum biology questions that appeared on the PCAT thou :) Can't wait to find out what I made

Got my results back. I'm not afraid to post them.

Verbal ability - 35 (Knew I did bad on this)
Biology - 66
RC - 26 (What! I thought I did good)
Quant - 74
Chem - 88

Writing 3 & 3

Composite - 62

Anyone know how I can increase my verbal score? I'm taking 2 english courses this semester and I'm hoping that would help!

NOOOOOOO! Oh my gosh! I don't believe this! :(

This was my third time taking the PCAT. I got a 26 the first time, and a 56 the second time. I didn't study the first two times. So when I went to take the January one, I put all my classes on the back burner to study. I especially spent a lot of time doing reading and biology practice. For the Biology, I studied packets from Dr. Collins. I felt so confident about both the reading and biology sections. I finished both with plenty of time to spare. I thought I would get in the 90th percentile in Biology but I scored even lower than the second time! I went from a 61 to a 60 in Biology.
This was the third time I took it and I got a 58 Composite :scared:

I submitted my application material already and it looks like my chances of getting in are ruined. And now my grades for this semester are ruined too. AAHHHH! I still can't believe all that studying didn't pay off.

All of you guys who got higher than a 70 Composite should be really happy because I have no idea how to do it. :confused:

Don't lose hope. I scored a 51 on my first PCAT (October), and got 4 interviews out of the 6 schools that I applied to. I found out that I was accepted to one of them today. I took the January PCAT also and scored a 61 on that, but the interviews were issued prior to receiving my Jan. scores.

I honestly don't know how people on here scored in the 80-90% either...but you really don't need to score that high to be considered and accepted into a pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't lose hope. I scored a 51 on my first PCAT (October), and got 4 interviews out of the 6 schools that I applied to. I found out that I was accepted to one of them today. I took the January PCAT also and scored a 61 on that, but the interviews were issued prior to receiving my Jan. scores.

I honestly don't know how people on here scored in the 80-90% either...but you really don't need to score that high to be considered and accepted into a pharmacy school.

Like said before, it depends on the school. The one I'm applying to requires atleast 65% on the PCAT to be considered. I got 63% unfortunately.

Quick question about the scores.

For instance, someone makes 375/600 on his verbal section. If we convert that to the number of questions, it would mean that this person got 30/48 questions. Are there any other rules to this point system? Or if they don't count some of the question?

I have a question...My composite pcat score was a very low 26%. So, I know I don't have a chance in getting to pharmacy school this year. However, the pharmCAS application was already sent, and the schools that I applied to are sending me emails for filling up the supplemental application. I am not going to fill up the supplemental application, and I will not tell pearson to email the pcat scores to pharmcas.

I mean why should I pay for supplemental applications when I know for sure that I will not get in.

What should I do? I am lost. :confused:

I am in a state of complete and utter shock right now.

Verbal: 437/92
Biology: 446/96
Reading: 427/84
Quantitative: 499/99
Chemistry: 472/99
Composite: 456/99

Writing: 3.0/2.5

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad that I purchased my scores now. I think that I scared my dogs with the girly man shrieks that I let loose when my score report came up. I'll post feedback about my test preparations after I get back from the gym. Good luck with your scores everyone!

Wow, congrats on a great set of scores!!

I never understood the scaled score. On the Pearson's website, it says:

The scale used for the PCAT ranges from 200 to 600, with a median of 400 (i.e., a scaled score of 400 corresponds to the 50th percentile).

I have never seen anyone with a scaled score in the 500's. I mean, even with a 99%, it's only a 456 :confused:

I just got my scores yesterday

VA 58
BIO 90
RC 73
QA 82
CHEM 64
Writing 3/3
Composite 79

I guess I did alright for my first time. Now I'm just praying I'll be lucky enough to land an interview at the University of Toronto :scared:. Good luck to everyone who is waiting for scores or waiting to hear back from pharmacy schools!

What schools did you apply to? What scores did you get on each section? Any really low scores?

Wrote the Jan PCAT...these are my scores:

Verbal 77
Biology 99
Chemistry 96
Reading comp 89
Quantitative 74
Writing 3/3

Composite 96

Verbal 92
Biology 98
Reading 93
Quantitative 98
Chemistry 95
Composite 99

Writing 2.5/2.5 - This was the only section I was worried about. U of T writing cut-offs for last year were 3/2.5, so the rest of my scores and my GPA don't even matter. This really sucks.

I have a question...My composite pcat score was a very low 26%. So, I know I don't have a chance in getting to pharmacy school this year. However, the pharmCAS application was already sent, and the schools that I applied to are sending me emails for filling up the supplemental application. I am not going to fill up the supplemental application, and I will not tell pearson to email the pcat scores to pharmcas.

I mean why should I pay for supplemental applications when I know for sure that I will not get in.

What should I do? I am lost. :confused:

can you do that? tell pearson to not email the pcat scores to pcas? if so how? i did not do well on mine either... it's hard to do anything else after seeing my mark :(

Verbal 92
Biology 98
Reading 93
Quantitative 98
Chemistry 95
Composite 99

Writing 2.5/2.5 - This was the only section I was worried about. U of T writing cut-offs for last year were 3/2.5, so the rest of my scores and my GPA don't even matter. This really sucks.

I know at least one person who got into U of T with a 2.5 in writing or problem solving (can't remember exactly which section). Supposedly they look at your composite and chem very closely. Someone with your scores should have no problem getting an the interview.

I'm very anxious for the interview. Once you do get an invitation, your marks don't matter as much (which scares the heck out of me).

I recieved my scores monday, but just now had the courage to open them up :laugh:. First time test taker here:

Verbal: 68
Biology: 87
Reading Comprehension: 48 (FAIL!!)
Quantatative Ability: 70
Chemistry: 85
Comprehension: 77

The composite score is exactly what I expected, but the subscores is TOTALLY not what I expected. I could of swarn that I aced the reading comprehension. Actually, the reading comprehension is what I felt the best about after taking the test. I knew I did well for biology, and I figured I would land a score in the 60's for the verbal. I was pleasantly surprised with my quantatative score. I litterally filled in the final 6-8 bubbles on the exam as I was physically and mentally drained by the time the math section rolled around. I am totally surprised by the chemistry score. I came out of the test thinking I bombed the chemistry section as I guessed on the 4-5 organic reactions that were on the exam, yet I still recieved an 85.

Overall, I'm happy with my score, but unfortunately my GPA is absolutely terrible. I have several C's on my transcript in Biology and Chemistry clases, so I'm definately going to have to retake it. I am pleased however that my top 2 subs were in Biology and Chemistry. It shows that I have the ability but I just slacked off in school (which I definately did).

I'm going to have to give Dr. Collin's a try and see if it really does work!

Last edited:
I recieved my scores monday, but just now had the courage to open them up :laugh:. First time test taker here:

Verbal: 68
Biology: 87
Reading Comprehension: 48 (FAIL!!)
Quantatative Ability: 70
Chemistry: 85
Comprehension: 77

The composite score is exactly what I expected, but the subscores is TOTALLY not what I expected. I could of swarn that I aced the reading comprehension. Actually, the reading comprehension is what I felt the best about after taking the test. I knew I did well for biology, and I figured I would land a score in the 60's for the verbal. I was pleasantly surprised with my quantatative score. I litterally filled in the final 6-8 bubbles on the exam as I was physically and mentally drained by the time the math section rolled around. I am totally surprised by the chemistry score. I came out of the test thinking I bombed the chemistry section as I guessed on the 4-5 organic reactions that were on the exam, yet I still recieved an 85.

Overall, I'm happy with my score, but unfortunately my GPA is absolutely terrible. I have several C's on my transcript in Biology and Chemistry clases, so I'm definately going to have to retake it. I am pleased however that my top 2 subs were in Biology and Chemistry. It shows that I have the ability but I just slacked off in school (which I definately did).

I'm going to have to give Dr. Collin's a try and see if it really does work!

what study guide did you use before for this test? just curious cuz ur stats are already pretty high

Hey everyone. I'm that guy whose score was canceled. I appealed and everything turned out well. I somehow forgot to bubble in something with my signature on the answer booklet. The people at Pearson released my score after I sent an e-mail explaining how I'm sorry and wasn't attempting to cheat. :rolleyes:

Verbal: 86
Biology: 84
RC: 60
Quant: 70
Chemistry: 88
Composite: 83

The RC score still feels low, but it's a huge improvement over what I got the first time. I'm pleased with everything else and I don't think I'll be taking the PCAT a third time.

Verbal 92
Biology 98
Reading 93
Quantitative 98
Chemistry 95
Composite 99

Wow congrats! how did you study for this exam? i mean, all ur marks are above 90 percentile and just wondeirng if u study like 10 hrs a day... and how did u study for verbal and reading?

Verbal 68
Biology 38
Reading 73
Quantitative 55
Chemistry 88
Composite 69

Writing 2.0/2.0

This was my first time taking the test, no studying at all, had no idea what would be on the test.

I'm applying to a school that doesnt require the PCAT, its optional, and I have a 3.95 GPA...wondering if I should take the PCAT again? I know I can get at least an 80 composite next time with a little studying...the only problem is I am applying in June and the next PCAT is in June. :confused:

For those of you that are concerned about your verbal scores: the one thing you can do to help yourself in this area is to read, read, read. You don't have to read big ass novels or anything- just read the newspaper, listen to NPR, read magazine articles. Any words you come across that are unfamiliar, look them up! Then use the GRE books to help you UNDERSTAND the TYPES of analogies that are on the test (ie synonyms, antonyms, part of a whole, etc.). I promise you, it will help.

Hi.....I need some help to study PCAT. I am giving it for the first time in august or october...which is the best book to study for ex. Kaplan or PCAT destroyer....or what else should i consider to get a good score.....and can a student prep for PCAT in 2 months or 1 month.......I really appreciate your guidance and help......Thank you..

i just got my scores today.. its the first time i took the pcat. do you think this will get me into a pharmacy school? I am a biochemistry major, and I'm pretty happy with everything except quantitative.. I just really messed up the timing of that section :(

Verbal: 437 (92%)
Biology: 440 (94%)
Reading: 422 (79%)
Quantitative: 408 (55%)
Chemistry: 426 (81%)
Composite: 427 (88%)

what materials did you use for your pcat study? especially for your Verbal section,

I have a question.

What is the"problem solving" mark out of 5?

Is it subjective from the essay?

How do i practise for it??

Same as us! The lowest score buys the first round.

I actually am not pre-anything. I took the MCAT because 6 years ago I was going for my MD/PhD and decided I didn't really like the MD stuff and just finished up the PhD work. As I recall, the PCAT is much more enjoyable than the MCAT.

4.0/3.5 for the essays the second time around, first time was 3.0/3.0

I've been accepted to the school I wanted (so technically I'm not a Pharm student yet). The Jan. PCAT wouldn't have been able to be used for any of the applications though, so I took it to just have our final competition with my friend (he was taking it for real though). Because after this, we'll be in different schools/programs/years.

He was my buddy/rival since elementary school. He pwned me on the SAT's and MCAT (his 39 score > my 37 score), which in retrospect counts more then my 99% to his 97% composite.

You, sir, are a PHENOM. I'm wholly and utterly impressed. 37 MCAT and you arent even a med student...WTF!?? And this is great because it shows me how smart you have to be to score a 4 in the writing section!!!!!

Skip pharmacy school. Just donate your sperm and get PAID :)

I got my score today.

Verbal Ability 398 45
Biology 421 80
Reading Comprehension 391 31
Quantitative Ability 469 99
Chemistry 449 95
Composite 426 87

hai
You have great score in chemistry.. could u help me in preparing.. I dont have any notes for chemistry.. last time my chemistry score is 67.. i didnt even get an interview... planning to retake and reapply..kindly help me..

Verbal 92
Biology 98
Reading 93
Quantitative 98
Chemistry 95
Composite 99

Hai.. u have a wonderful score.. I wisj u would have got admitted in pharmacy school. can u help me in prepartions. My score was just 67.. I didnt get any interview letter. planning to reapply.. what type of books and notes I can use.. pls help me...

Some people have to score a 99% just like some people have to score 1%... Since those scores are the % of people taking the PCAT that you did better than...

As far as the writing, I think in general scores tend to be pretty low on writing. There are threads specifically about that...
This last part is just speculation, but I also think most adcom's probably look at your admissions essays and LOR's (what reccomenders have to say about your communication skills) much more than your PCAT writing score. I would think that they understand that it's hard to write a good essay in 30 minutes about anything - especially when you don't know the topic in advance.

Wow congrats! how did you study for this exam? i mean, all ur marks are above 90 percentile and just wondeirng if u study like 10 hrs a day... and how did u study for verbal and reading?

Try to get a most-hit vocabulary list for the PCAT from a prep book and learn more words. SAT, GRE, and other test books should have vocab lists if you can't find a PCAT specific one.

You need to read a lot if you really want to improve your RC, but for short-term study purposes, find passages from as many admissions tests as you can and just plow through them. Try to improve your reading speed and retention ability. It's not very useful to read fast if you didn't understand what you just read, so make sure you pay attention to what the passage is saying the first time.

Biology, math, and chem was just a review for me since I've learned it all in school. I think it would help to read through multiple test prep books if you have trouble with the sciences though. No matter what though, make sure you do a lot of practice tests. When you finish a test, go back to the questions that you didn't get right and fill in those gaps of knowledge so that you know the answer for next time.

I hope that helps a little. I'm writing the PCAT again in June so I'm still studying as well. Good luck! :)

Well I did well, but I DIDN'T use Dr. Collins. I bought the McGraw-Hill book and even though it completely mislead me on the math section, I still got an 87 composite. But there is definitely a bias in terms of people only posting there scores if they do well, so don't worry. Although there are low scores posted too.

do you think the mcgraw hill book prepared you enough for the pcat? I was thinking of using this book but I dont know whether it would help me enough.

wait how in the world you got that high score i mean your soooo smart plz help me :( lol I am actually taking my PCAT in august and i am struggling a bit with how to study exactly for everything. for right now i am just going thru kaplan's and some MCAT books that my cousin had. What else should I do? how do i study for vocab. and also do they ask you any log calc in chem section? plzzzzzzzzzzzz help i would be sooo thankful =]

Verbal 92
Biology 98
Reading 93
Quantitative 98
Chemistry 95
Composite 99

wait how in the world you got that high score i mean your soooo smart plz help me lol I am actually taking my PCAT in august and i am struggling a bit with how to study exactly for everything. for right now i am just going thru kaplan's and some MCAT books that my cousin had. What else should I do? how do i study for vocab. and also do they ask you any log calc in chem section? plzzzzzzzzzzzz help i would be sooo thankful =]

I scored a 505 in chem (99%ile) but i havent seen any other scaled scores above 500, i saw one dude who got a 499 on quant..