Jan. 2014 PCAT results are out. Need some advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SherlockHomes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, fellow pre-pharmacy students!

I took the PCAT for the first time back in January and got my final results the past week. (Scores were exactly the same as the Preliminary Score Report, by the way)

Here are my scores:

Verbal Ability: 30
Biology: 89
Reading Comprehension: 79
Quantitative Ability: 97
Chemistry: 95
Composite: 91
Writing: 3.0 (Mean: 3.37)

My first choice (dream school) is University of Maryland Baltimore.
I am a bit worried about my verbal ability score and biology.

Do you think that my scores are "good enough" for UMB? or should I definitely retake it, aiming for higher scores in verbal ability and biology?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Why retake? You did better than 91% of the other people that took the test. And your scores are excellent in the subsections that matter imo.

Have your scores posted on pharmcas yet?

Thanks for the response!

I am mainly concerned about my verbal ability score... pretty low, don't you think?
Do verbal ability scores really matter? or are schools mainly concerned with the composite?

And no, I am applying for the next application cycle (for entry in Fall 2015). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that pharmcas would "open" during the summer for the next application cycle?

You should research your school's PCAT requirements and email your school to ask. Some schools have a minimum score requirement for subsections but in my opinion, your score is very good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, fellow pre-pharmacy students!

I took the PCAT for the first time back in January and got my final results the past week. (Scores were exactly the same as the Preliminary Score Report, by the way)

Here are my scores:

Verbal Ability: 30
Biology: 89
Reading Comprehension: 79
Quantitative Ability: 97
Chemistry: 95
Composite: 91
Writing: 3.0 (Mean: 3.37)

My first choice (dream school) is University of Maryland Baltimore.
I am a bit worried about my verbal ability score and biology.

Do you think that my scores are "good enough" for UMB? or should I definitely retake it, aiming for higher scores in verbal ability and biology?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I got 50 something on my VA, but 17% on my RC lol but an overall of 95% gotten me into university of pittsburgh (although i haven't decide if i want to go there yet, still waiting on response on some schools) .
but the point is... They don't really care about your RC and VA score as long as you have a good composite (which you do) and prove to them that you are proficient in english during your interviews

I got 50 something on my VA, but 17% on my RC lol but an overall of 95% gotten me into university of pittsburgh (although i haven't decide if i want to go there yet, still waiting on response on some schools) .
but the point is... They don't really care about your RC and VA score as long as you have a good composite (which you do) and prove to them that you are proficient in english during your interviews

Alright, it looks like I might not have to take it again.. Thanks!

Just saw your 1st choice for school. I applied there as well and I have gotten my interview for that school :)
So your PCAT scores are great!

Just saw your 1st choice for school. I applied there as well and I have gotten my interview for that school :)
So your PCAT scores are great!

Would you mind sharing your other stats? (GPA, extracurricular, pharm work experience?)

Did you end up interviewing for UMB? how was it?

Thanks =)

Would you mind sharing your other stats? (GPA, extracurricular, pharm work experience?)

Did you end up interviewing for UMB? how was it?

Thanks =)
i scheduled the interview on march bc it is not my top choice of school

my gpa is 3.8
98 & 99 % on bio, QA and chem
50ish on VA and 17 on RC
no pharm work experience, 4 LOR, held multiple leadership positions and some volunteer services.
B.S. in biochem

i scheduled the interview on march bc it is not my top choice of school

my gpa is 3.8
98 & 99 % on bio, QA and chem
50ish on VA and 17 on RC
no pharm work experience, 4 LOR, held multiple leadership positions and some volunteer services.
B.S. in biochem

Wow, that's awesome! haha

Wish you the best in your interviews, and thanks for the advice!

Good luck =)