January 2009 PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Just wanted to get a thread started for those who plan to retake the PCAT in 2009, especially for those of us that are trying to get into pharmacy school for fall 2009 since this is our last shot of getting a good score for this cycle. :scared:

What did you think went wrong, and what do you plan to do differently?

To be honest, I didn't study enough at all. I read through almost the entire Kaplan PCAT book, but I was just reading and not comprehending. I can read a book and if it's really boring, I won't be able to tell you anything right after reading it. I registered for the October test probably a little over 2 months before the test date. I maybe studied 1 month averaging 4-5 hours for the week. I had access to 3 practice tests (2 from the PCAT peeps and 1 from Kaplan), and I only did 1 practice test.

This time around (starting Monday after all the thanksgiving festivities die down) I'm going to spend about 3-4 hours a day studying. I read about 6 chapters a day last time, but I was just reading words, so this time I'm going to only read 2 chapters a day and make sure I really understand the material. I also plan to look for outside material away from this Kaplan book that's not too expensive. It says it has all the material one needs to do well on the PCAT, but I don't believe that. Some sections seem to have too much material when others don't have nearly enough. I wish I could afford that $300 study manual that people are raving about, but I can't buy anything too expensive.

Anyways, sorry for rambling. Just figured it would be nice to have support for us retakers! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I had NO life ever since I started studying for this PCAT! lol... I basically memorize the Kaplan book and score in the 90s on the DAT...so I was doing the same thing for the PCAT...just memorizing the PCAT kaplan book and didn't do so hot in the biology section...did pretty well on gen chem but I have a feeling its going to be harder on the real exam...Basically I thought the PCAT will be like the DAT...guarenttee 90% if I memorize the Kaplan book...but I guess thats not going to happen. :rolleyes: Now I am just so damn desperate to get this exam OVER WITH!!! I need my life back! I will take a 80 as long as I still get an interview to Mercer, Campbell and South! :laugh:

I had NO life ever since I started studying for this PCAT! lol... I basically memorize the Kaplan book and score in the 90s on the DAT...so I was doing the same thing for the PCAT...just memorizing the PCAT kaplan book and didn't do so hot in the biology section...did pretty well on gen chem but I have a feeling its going to be harder on the real exam...Basically I thought the PCAT will be like the DAT...guarenttee 90% if I memorize the Kaplan book...but I guess thats not going to happen. :rolleyes: Now I am just so damn desperate to get this exam OVER WITH!!! I need my life back! I will take a 80 as long as I still get an interview to Mercer, Campbell and South! :laugh:

Out of curiosity, how long have you been studying?

Out of curiosity, how long have you been studying?

Almost 2 months, but I have a full time job so I didn't get to study for 2 months straight, but instead 2 months here and there..sometimes for 2 hours a day sometimes for 6 hours...Unlike the DAT I study for 2 months 6-8 hours a day. Full time jobs suck! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I've been at 'er for about a month and a half only :( although I did get some studying in before the Oct PCAT to add to that.

"You want to go out for drinks tonight?"
"Can't, gotta study for my PCAT"

"You want to come over and watch a movie and make some music?"
"Can't, gotta study for my PCAT"

"You want to go to this sweet house warming party where they're giving out free t-shirts and $100,000 to every guest?"
"Can't gotta stud-- GOD DAMNIT."

Almost 2 months, but I have a full time job so I didn't get to study for 2 months straight, but instead 2 months here and there..sometimes for 2 hours a day sometimes for 6 hours...Unlike the DAT I study for 2 months 6-8 hours a day. Full time jobs suck! :(

Oh my. I have just started my prerequisites and am wondering if starting casual studying is too early. Well, not casual studying, just memorization of vocabulary words. Will knowing the GRE top 200 and another 800 words help you a lot in the test, or is the effort not really worth it?

Oh my. I have just started my prerequisites and am wondering if starting casual studying is too early. Well, not casual studying, just memorization of vocabulary words. Will knowing the GRE top 200 and another 800 words help you a lot in the test, or is the effort not really worth it?

Seriously? It may help you, but why would you do that to yourself. The Verbal Ability part of the test is not hard if you focus on a couple of things: Remember to always match up parts of speech. If the analogy given is two nouns and the first word of the second analogy is a noun, then the answer is a noun - this will always help you narrow it down, if not solve in most cases. Number two - you are looking for the relationship, not the definition. Yes, knowing the definition helps, but sometimes if you can figure out from one of the words that they are antonyms then you know you're looking for antonyms. Finally, take as many practice verbal tests as you can. There are many online for the GRE. Getting used to this method of thinking, just like other parts of the PCAT, is the best way to train your brain to do it well and quickly. But unless you have a whole bunch of time on your hands I would NOT memorize 1000 words! Plus, you won't remember them unless you use them in your everyday conversation, and you might sound bizarre doing that. Good luck.

I got an interview call from a California school on the day of the PCAT. I was so tempted to say yes and to skip the PCAT, but I had to move it. Boo to the PCAT. As if I didn't hate it enough. :p

I got an interview call from a California school on the day of the PCAT. I was so tempted to say yes and to skip the PCAT, but I had to move it. Boo to the PCAT. As if I didn't hate it enough. :p

Wow! You're lucky that they reviewed your application without your second PCAT score. I had to put my application on hold to wait for this score and I hate it b/c I got everything in early and I should have been hearing about interviews right now instead of studying for this ridiculous test!

Congrats! At least it's a confidence booster!:luck:

If you have just STARTED studying...then I would just study the Chemistry and Biology sections. Chem and Bio you can improve in a few days...Verbal and Reading takes YEARS to improve. Going from a 50 reading/verbal to a 90 will take years! haha...so if I were you I would just focus on the Chem and Biology and forget the verbal...if you don't know it by now you will never know it...Same with me...I took the Pearson exam and made a 65 on the Verbal...that is most likely the score I will get on the real exam...nothing I can do about it. :(

Wow! You're lucky that they reviewed your application without your second PCAT score. I had to put my application on hold to wait for this score and I hate it b/c I got everything in early and I should have been hearing about interviews right now instead of studying for this ridiculous test!

Congrats! At least it's a confidence booster!:luck:

Thanks! Actually, the Cali school doesn't use PCAT scores. I got another call today from a different school too that does, and they went by my first PCAT. Good luck on the PCAT this Saturday! :)

good luck to everyone on Saturday!

It's cramming time now...

I'm the supa cramaaa!!!!

man i did not have time to study at all. maybe a TOTAL of 10 hours. Guys, will multiple PCAT hurt me? this is my second time and I think imma flunk it. If multiple PCAT (3 or more) does hurt me, please let me know right now so i can check the no grade box. If it doesnt hurt me, then ill just let them score it, tell me my bad grade, and redo it in june.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im really nervous about this exam, this will be my first time taking it ; __ ;

The 3 hour drive to the testing center doesn't help either :(

2 more days of studying! Cram all you can!

man i did not have time to study at all. maybe a TOTAL of 10 hours. Guys, will multiple PCAT hurt me? this is my second time and I think imma flunk it. If multiple PCAT (3 or more) does hurt me, please let me know right now so i can check the no grade box. If it doesnt hurt me, then ill just let them score it, tell me my bad grade, and redo it in june.
The generic answer: It depends on the school.

I'd just score the test. The first time I took it I checked "no scores" because I knew that I failed due to having surgery right before the test. Now I kinda wish that I would have gotten the results just to see how much I improved from no studying to studying. On my second attempt I remember a girl going completely nuts asking me and the test proctor all kinds of advice about whether to get her scores or not and whether bad scores on her first attempt would hurt... etc etc etc. I tried to tell her to calm down and understand that it's graded based on how you compare to other people not how many you got right and not many people can finish every section without running out of time... I think she still marked no scores, though :( Who knows...

As far as I can tell from my interview offers, schools don't seem to mind that I'm on my third PCAT attempt with a chem score in the 30's. I got practically immediate call backs from Shenandoah and VCU. The other parts of my application are really strong though. It really just varies person to person.

For the earlier post about vocab, I've only come across one or two words that I hadn't seen before in normal college reading. I really wouldn't worry about that section at all!

Last edited:

Personally I won't take it more than once or twice. Taking it too many time makes you look paranoid and desperate...

Personally I won't take it more than once or twice. Taking it too many time makes you look paranoid and desperate...

No offense, but I disagree with this statement COMPLETELY (and not b/c I've taken it a bunch - this is my 2nd and hopefully last time). I see where you are coming from, but if you have the time, the money, and the desire, I think taking it multiple times shows that you care so much about this and that you have the determination and character to work hard and improve your score b/c pharmacy is what you REALLY want to do.

Also, have you even taken the PCAT yet? What are you basing this opinion on?

im just so worried for the test. I know i can do well on biology, chem, and math...again. I have been practicing my reading comp with MCAT & PCAT materials. I know i can improve that section as well. For the verbal, Im scared **** less about it. Iono how people can say that part is the easiest part. There is no way to study for it and mostlikely ill get the same score as i did last time on my verbal. All i need is to get my verbal up to a 50% and i may get a high 80's or low 90's in my comp score. cross fingers. But yea, I am still confuse, about whether i should mark the no score or not.

No offense, but I disagree with this statement COMPLETELY (and not b/c I've taken it a bunch - this is my 2nd and hopefully last time). I see where you are coming from, but if you have the time, the money, and the desire, I think taking it multiple times shows that you care so much about this and that you have the determination and character to work hard and improve your score b/c pharmacy is what you REALLY want to do.

Also, have you even taken the PCAT yet? What are you basing this opinion on?

Fair enough, I haven't taken the PCAT yet. I guess my opinion comes from the fact that I usually put a lot of effort before I take an exam and therefore my first score is usually the score that I will end up getting no matter how many times I take an exam. I have only taken two standardize exams in my life (DAT, SAT) and if I was to take these exams again my score will proberly still be around the same as it was before...Based on past experience if you study for a standardize exam and then take it the score you get is usually what you get. Meaning if someone study the best that they can and made an 85 on the PCAT then chances are they will never make a 99...They have already tried their best...not everyone can get a 99.

Now if someone was to not study at all and take the PCAT....then yes they will most likely improve a great deal afterwards if they study their second time around....but to me thats pointless...I just don't see why anyone will go into any exams without studying at all...this just my opinion though.

I dont think anyone would go into a test and not study before hand. I think they studied but not as much as they wish. Sometimes people have unexpected things happen to them during their studying month. Im glad everything in life goes as plan for you but thats not the case for some people.

I agree with the last post. Things happen - life happens. Not all of us can devote our lives to the PCAT. I am a mom and have 3 little kids and a family, too. I also found out right before the Oct. exam that my Dad has cancer. But, life goes on and we do the best we can. I didn't study like crazy for the Oct. PCAT b/c I felt like maybe I could get by with the scores required by my schools without having to devote every spare minute to studying. I also didn't have a clue of how it would be scored based on the norm group. It's so hard to base how you think you did after the test, b/c who knows what the norm group did or didn't do. Also, I don't know if any of you realize this, but the norm group keeps growing every year and the people in the norm group keep getting higher and higher percentages based on the old norm group. So each year it gets harder and harder to get a higher percentile composite score. So if someone took the test 4 years ago and tells you not to worry - tell them where to shove it :D, b/c number one, it's not the same test - at all, and number two, the norm group has increased and improved signifcantly.

As for the no score option, I don't know why you would waste your money and time. I would definitely score it and see how you do. You might surprise yourself! Stay positive! If you dream it...it will happen. ;)

Also, I don't know if any of you realize this, but the norm group keeps growing every year and the people in the norm group keep getting higher and higher percentages based on the old norm group. So each year it gets harder and harder to get a higher percentile composite score. So if someone took the test 4 years ago and tells you not to worry - tell them where to shove it :D, b/c number one, it's not the same test - at all, and number two, the norm group has increased and improved signifcantly
This has been discussed on SDN before. For example, if you get a 80 composite in 2007 and you check back one year later, your composite score will most likely have dropped by several points due to the norm group. Of course you'll never be notified of the drop until you re-order your exam scores from Harcourt (i.e. pay money). The reason why I know the PCAT never stays the same is because the test writers throw in questions on the test that aren't factored into your final score in order to gauge what questions they can use for the future. As a matter of fact, only one of the two essays that you'll be writing this Saturday will be scored so pray that they choose the one to your liking. ;)

Also, I don't know if any of you realize this, but the norm group keeps growing every year and the people in the norm group keep getting higher and higher percentages based on the old norm group. So each year it gets harder and harder to get a higher percentile composite score. So if someone took the test 4 years ago and tells you not to worry - tell them where to shove it :D, b/c number one, it's not the same test - at all, and number two, the norm group has increased and improved signifcantly.

As for the no score option, I don't know why you would waste your money and time. I would definitely score it and see how you do. You might surprise yourself! Stay positive! If you dream it...it will happen. ;)
I'm not sure I agree with you on this.

Each year, more people are added to the list of people who did well. But the same is also true of the list of people who did poorly, not to mention that more people are added to the total number of people who have taken the test. The bell curve stays the same. You just have a higher number of people in each category as time goes on, but the proportions relative to each other stay constant.

I'm not sure I agree with you on this.

Each year, more people are added to the list of people who did well. But the same is also true of the list of people who did poorly, not to mention that more people are added to the total number of people who have taken the test. The bell curve stays the same. You just have a higher number of people in each category as time goes on, but the proportions relative to each other stay constant.

Well, it does look like I'm not the only one thinking this way, and either way you cannot deny that the test is more difficult now than it was even 2 years ago but definitely 4 years ago. I have friends who are graduating from Pharm school this year and they were the first group of students where it was required for most schools I'm applying to and they all say it was a breeze. They think I'm nuts when I tell them how much we have to know. Then I show them the Kaplan book and watch their jaws drop to the floor. I would have much rather taken it back then. Still nothing I can do - just grin and bear it. On top of it all I now feel like I'm getting a damn cold! I do not believe this!

For those that have taken the PCAT before, how accurate are the scores that you get taking the practice tests from Harcourt?

Just took one of the Harcourt exams:

Verbal: 26/40
Chem: 39/40
Bio: 32/40
Quant: 37/40
Reading: 33/40

Overall: 167/200

Wish I could bring verbal up a bit more.

For those that have taken the PCAT before, how accurate are the scores that you get taking the practice tests from Harcourt?

When I took the Harcourt exams before the October PCAT I did really well on the Verbal and Reading - like in the 90s and in the 70s on Bio and 50s in Chem and Low in math but my composite was middle of the road - like 65-75 b/c of the really high verbal and reading scores. On the actual PCAT, I scored lower than the practice tests in every section, but the highest were still in Verbal and reading and the lowest in Math. But b/c I wasn't as high in Verbal and reading, it didn't bring my composite up enough. Summing it up, the Harcourt tests are easier than the real PCAT. But, at least now you have a better idea of what to expect. Stay positive! Good luck.

When I took the Harcourt exams before the October PCAT I did really well on the Verbal and Reading - like in the 90s and in the 70s on Bio and 50s in Chem and Low in math but my composite was middle of the road - like 65-75 b/c of the really high verbal and reading scores. On the actual PCAT, I scored lower than the practice tests in every section, but the highest were still in Verbal and reading and the lowest in Math. But b/c I wasn't as high in Verbal and reading, it didn't bring my composite up enough. Summing it up, the Harcourt tests are easier than the real PCAT. But, at least now you have a better idea of what to expect. Stay positive! Good luck.

Now I am nervous I have taken two Harcourt Exams...

Test 1
Verbal: 33/40
Chem: 38/40
Bio: 37/40
Quant: 32/40
Reading: 35/40
Overall: 175/200

Test 2
Verbal: 34/40
Bio: 36/40
Quant: 27/40
Overall: 170/200

I was fairly confident in these scores (except quant)... but now I am worried since you say the actual is harder. I guess there isnt much else to do at this point though

Now I am nervous I have taken two Harcourt Exams...

Test 1
Verbal: 33/40
Bio: 37/40
Quant: 32/40
Overall: 175/200

Test 2
Verbal: 34/40
Bio: 36/40
Quant: 27/40
Overall: 170/200

I was fairly confident in these scores (except quant)... but now I am worried since you say the actual is harder. I guess there isnt much else to do at this point though

Try not to worry too much. Your scores are good and the QA section of the PCAT is about the same as the practice Harcourt tests. It's the Chem and Bio that I thought were a lot harder on the real PCAT. Good luck tomorrow.

I really hope we get an easy Quant section...I cant seem to work the problems fast enough without making small mistakes :(

good luck tm everyone, and pray that we get our scores back asap!

I agree with the last post. Things happen - life happens. Not all of us can devote our lives to the PCAT. I am a mom and have 3 little kids and a family, too. I also found out right before the Oct. exam that my Dad has cancer. But, life goes on and we do the best we can. I didn't study like crazy for the Oct. PCAT b/c I felt like maybe I could get by with the scores required by my schools without having to devote every spare minute to studying. I also didn't have a clue of how it would be scored based on the norm group. It's so hard to base how you think you did after the test, b/c who knows what the norm group did or didn't do. Also, I don't know if any of you realize this, but the norm group keeps growing every year and the people in the norm group keep getting higher and higher percentages based on the old norm group. So each year it gets harder and harder to get a higher percentile composite score. So if someone took the test 4 years ago and tells you not to worry - tell them where to shove it :D, b/c number one, it's not the same test - at all, and number two, the norm group has increased and improved signifcantly.

Wow, didn't know you had a family already. Yeah that does put a strain on studying....I have been a "student" my entire life and didn't think about people with kids. :oops: Most of the people that I know who didn't prepare for their exams were people too busy partying everyday and it was usually their choice to NOT study...

I hope you do well on your exam this time around. :)

I really hope we get an easy Quant section...I cant seem to work the problems fast enough without making small mistakes :(

good luck tm everyone, and pray that we get our scores back asap!

I just hope there is no trig on it...I don't like sin, cos, tan, sec, etc etc...:rolleyes:

Wow, didn't know you had a family already. Yeah that does put a strain on studying....I have been a "student" my entire life and didn't think about people with kids. :oops: Most of the people that I know who didn't prepare for their exams were people too busy partying everyday and it was usually their choice to NOT study...

I hope you do well on your exam this time around. :)

Hey...it's all good. How could you know? I'm not using it as a crutch. I realize that if I do get into pharm. school, things are not going to get easier. There will be plenty of times that I will have to study when I would rather be playing with my kids. I'm just learning how to balance it all and so far so good. Thanks for the well wishes. We are ALL going to do great tomorrow! I can feel it! :cool:

I just hope there is no trig on it...I don't like sin, cos, tan, sec, etc etc...:rolleyes:

I dont think there should be any because they took out geometry, unless of course they decide to put them into calc problems. Guess I should look up what there derivatives are now...more stuff to memorize :(

I dont think there should be any because they took out geometry, unless of course they decide to put them into calc problems. Guess I should look up what there derivatives are now...more stuff to memorize :(

It's in the Harcourt practice tests relating to calc. I would know as much as you can. There are many questions pertaining to it.

It's in the Harcourt practice tests relating to calc. I would know as much as you can. There are many questions pertaining to it.

Ya I just took one of the practice tests for it...looks like I need to brush up on some of my math. Still have 6 hours before I get my final nights rest before the big test >.<

anyone else having to drive/fly a long distance?

I'm 2 hours north of Sacramento and my testing center is in Fresno. Meaning i've got a 4hr30minute drive to get there!

anyone else having to drive/fly a long distance?

I'm 2 hours north of Sacramento and my testing center is in Fresno. Meaning i've got a 4hr30minute drive to get there!

Im about 3 hours away from my testing center too. Probably going to be exhausted before the exam even starts.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Does anyone know if they provide us with lockers to keep our jackets and cell phones?

I just took my finals for one of my class today. Now at 5:35pm, i will start studying for PCAT. This is suicide

The reading is a lot worst then the verbal!!!! I am always in the 20s/40 on the reading! :(

The only section I love is the chem section. :D For some reason I missed the same number of questions on Biology and Math, (miss 10 questions per section...) but my % in the math is higher then biology??? I figure since I miss the same number of questions I would get the same percentile?? no?

Hey...it's all good. How could you know? I'm not using it as a crutch. I realize that if I do get into pharm. school, things are not going to get easier. There will be plenty of times that I will have to study when I would rather be playing with my kids. I'm just learning how to balance it all and so far so good. Thanks for the well wishes. We are ALL going to do great tomorrow! I can feel it! :cool:

Well, I thought I studied the "BEST" that I can for the PCAT but I was wrong...:( I thought Kaplan was the best of the best, but they suck at the biology section so I guess one should retake the exam if they studied all the WRONG materials...:laugh: I am glad I didn't waste 1400 dollars on the Kaplan class at least.

I am just going to pray to God that I make at least an 80 on the PCAT so I can at least get an interview...:rolleyes:

hey guys i have a question

i have the 08-09 kaplan book and in the quantitative ability section i dont' see anything on trigonometry or geometry. But there was some random question in the back (the final exam) that had a bit of trig in it i believe. I don't know what they've changed for the jan 09 exam, can anyone fill me in on what has changed and if we need to know these?

hey guys i have a question

i have the 08-09 kaplan book and in the quantitative ability section i dont' see anything on trigonometry or geometry. But there was some random question in the back (the final exam) that had a bit of trig in it i believe. I don't know what they've changed for the jan 09 exam, can anyone fill me in on what has changed and if we need to know these?

Thats what I have been wondering too...I know very little about sin, cos, sec, tan, etc...VERY WORRIED! :(

yea what did u think?

I finished all the sections, which was good. I didn't expect some of the stuff on the bio section - there was a LOT of anatomy/physiology. I think I did best on chemistry, verbal and reading comp. You?

Anybody had horrible proctoring experience today? My group had the most distracting proctor. She wore a bright hot pink vest and kept walking back and forth in front of me. I couldn't even focus on the reading comprehension part because of the bright pink glow coming out of her. I kept thinking how much I wanted to throw my pencil at her, which probably took some time out of my ridiculously expensive test.

the chem had lots of calculations and the math section had lots of tough problems. the biology section was alright, much easier than i expected. the verbal was similar to the cliff pcat exams if not easier, but there were easy questions i couldn't find a connection to. for the reading section, english is my second language and i was able to understand all the passages. the questions were mcat like!