January MCAT with light load?

snap660

10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2011
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    I need advise on whether or not I should take the MCAT January 2012. I'm going to be a Junior this fall and my course load is relatively light. I plan on following sn2ed's schedule and I know he advised to be as free as possible when studying for the MCAT which means preferably preparing during the summer. This summer I worked on boosting my EC's as well as working part-time. So that leaves me to prepare this fall or prepare during the spring semester for either the April-July exam. My schedule is pretty light and I like the fact that I'll have the winter break(4 weeks) to finish up preparing and take the exam late January.

Fall Schedule:
    Human Anatomy- 100 level
    Human Physio
    English 101
    Research
    TA- Need to spend 2 hour office hours
    8 hours/week working

Should I drop one of the activities like TA'ing or does this seem manageable along with studying for MCAT.

Last edited:

macsta

Jun 9, 2011
    1. Pre-Medical
      I need advise on whether or not I should take the MCAT January 2012. I'm going to be a Junior this fall and my course load is relatively light. I plan on following sn2ed's schedule and I know he advised to be as free as possible when studying for the MCAT which means preferably preparing during the summer. This summer I worked on boosting my EC's as well as working part-time. So that leaves me to prepare this fall or prepare during the spring semester for either the April-July exam. My schedule is pretty light and I like the fact that I'll have the winter break(4 weeks) to finish up preparing and take the exam late January.

Fall Schedule:
      Intro Anatomy- 100 level
      Intro Physio
      English 101
      Research
      TA- Need to spend 2 hour office hours
      8 hours/week working

Should I drop one of the activities like TA'ing or does this seem manageable along with studying for MCAT.

Your schedule seems VERY light, although I'm not sure what kind of research you do. You should have enough time to study.

snap660

10+ Year Member
      Aug 15, 2011
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Your schedule seems VERY light, although I'm not sure what kind of research you do. You should have enough time to study.

This will be my first semester doing this particular research. The professor I'm working with said first semester is all intro and mostly shadowing and helping with projects that other grad students are working on. He was very lenient and told me more responsibilities can be had in the spring or summer semester such as working on my own project.

macsta

Jun 9, 2011
        1. Pre-Medical
          This will be my first semester doing this particular research. The professor I'm working with said first semester is all intro and mostly shadowing and helping with projects that other grad students are working on. He was very lenient and told me more responsibilities can be had in the spring or summer semester such as working on my own project.

You might need to sacrifice time in other areas (socializing, working out...) occasionally, but overall it seems like you did a good job making your schedule.

About the Ads

snap660

10+ Year Member
          Aug 15, 2011
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            You might need to sacrifice time in other areas (socializing, working out...) occasionally, but overall it seems like you did a good job making your schedule.

lol thanks. That's reassuring because when I searched the forum every other thread said not to study the MCAT while in school and the few that did advised against it even with light loads.

DolFAN

10+ Year Member
            7+ Year Member
            Jan 15, 2009
            1. Medical Student
              Sorry to butt in on your post but I was wondering what your thoughts were on my schedule.

I also plan on taking the MCAT in january and have spent the summer doing MCAT work. I've covered a lot of the material but not all. I've been using exam kracker and kaplan material and I've completed 1200 practice EK problems. I still have yet to take a practice MCAT. I'm nervous about doing so =/

My Fall Class load is as follows:
              Orgo 2
              Bio 2
              Astronomy
              PLTL Bio 1 : which is basically reviewing the material for me and teaching it to freshman.
              Working part time in hospital as a scribe.

Do you guys think I'll be able to manage this workload and study enough for the MCAT to do well?

Thank you for any advice / critiques.

snap660

10+ Year Member
              Aug 15, 2011
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                Sorry to butt in on your post but I was wondering what your thoughts were on my schedule.

I also plan on taking the MCAT in january and have spent the summer doing MCAT work. I've covered a lot of the material but not all. I've been using exam kracker and kaplan material and I've completed 1200 practice EK problems. I still have yet to take a practice MCAT. I'm nervous about doing so =/

My Fall Class load is as follows:
                Orgo 2
                Bio 2
                Astronomy
                PLTL Bio 1 : which is basically reviewing the material for me and teaching it to freshman.
                Working part time in hospital as a scribe.

Do you guys think I'll be able to manage this workload and study enough for the MCAT to do well?

Thank you for any advice / critiques.

Orgo 2 is a beast, a lot of time will be devoted to that class. With that schedule I would probably wait till the spring or summer to take the MCAT. You could probably do some light studying this fall but I wouldn't be to sure on taking it this January.

squirrel33

Feb 19, 2011
                1. Pre-Medical
                  snap660- i'm in a similar situation as you...looks like a doable schedule to me, anatomy and physiology will be nice to take together...and it sounds like you're just getting your feet wet with research so it shouldn't be too timely...if you can afford to drop work I might suggest doing that for the semester.

DolFAN- your schedule seems doable as well, and as far as orgo goes I suppose it depends on how well you did with Orgo 1 and your teacher too...Orgo 2 didn't take up too much of my time but I also enjoyed it and my teacher definitely helped too (compared to orgo 1 which took up so much of my study time/my teacher then made it nearly impossible to get an A)..I also did not take the lab with it during that time though either.

Figured I'd throw up my fall schedule too as I'm going to be taking my MCAT again in January...I tried to make it as light as I could without overloading my spring schedule.

Fall:
                  Developmental Biology with lab
                  Biochemistry
                  Research- can continue in spring if not completed
                  Intro Art class online for first half of semester

Spring courses would then be:
                  Medical Microbiology with lab
                  Orgo Lab
                  Calculus 1
                  American sign language
                  Continued research/final paper...

Let me know if anyone would switch some of those around? Class starts next week- and I also have four weeks in December for Christmas break.

One more thing, has anyone ever heard of people having trouble getting a test date in January? I just want to make sure I don't have to wait until March with a bit of a heaver spring course load...

byaaaaaaah23

5+ Year Member
                  Jul 31, 2011
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    I'm also testing in January, as a junior. Comments on my schedule?

Fall
                    Biochem I
                    Orgo II w. lab
                    History of Med elective
                    Physics II lab

Spring
                    Biochem II w. lab
                    Cell Bio
                    Electron Microscopy lab
                    Research for credit

squirrelfan and DOLfan your schedules look fine! :thumbup:

fneverforget, yours looks like it might be a lot of credit hours, but if you've had a few of those subjects before you might be okay.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.