jayhawks representin'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stoic

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
you know i think it's aweful cool how many jayhawks/future jayhawks have been postin' round here lately. sure there are other schools with more people on, but i think we have a great representation for a school in the middle of the heartland.

rock on guys. i'll see many of you next year!

jaydoc.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks to all the Jayhawks who helped me with my questions. I can feel this is going to be a good year for all of us. Med school acceptance and a National Championship. Yeah baby!!!

medmonkey said:
Thanks to all the Jayhawks who helped me with my questions. I can feel this is going to be a good year for all of us. Med school acceptance and a National Championship. Yeah baby!!!

1 Guy Stands in your way. CHRIS PAUL. Goooooooo Demon Deacons!!!! Preseason #2 (but not for long :laugh: )

Members don't see this ad :)
CharlieVN said:
1 Guy Stands in your way. CHRIS PAUL. Goooooooo Demon Deacons!!!! Preseason #2 (but not for long :laugh: )

wake over KU? inconceivable. go hawks :thumbup:

you guys almost beat texas today...that was pretty impressive

lakersfan said:
you guys almost beat texas today...that was pretty impressive

our coach is so pissed off about the offensive foul called on during KU's last drive. he straight up accused the officials of trying to swing the game to keep Texas in the BCS and the coference in the money. look for this to turn into something major in the media. even if it wasn't on purpose, it was a BAD call.

oh well. basketball is just around the corner and we are gonna be good this year.

rockchalk jayhawk! screw ctb and respiratory phys. i think a jayhawk sdn-er party should be in our near future.

stoic said:
our coach is so pissed off about the offensive foul called on during KU's last drive. he straight up accused the officials of trying to swing the game to keep Texas in the BCS and the coference in the money. look for this to turn into something major in the media. even if it wasn't on purpose, it was a BAD call.

oh well. basketball is just around the corner and we are gonna be good this year.

didn't we beat you in basketball last year too? yeah we did, i went to the game

Chonson said:
didn't we beat you in basketball last year too? yeah we did, i went to the game

yea don't get to worked up about beating us in this football game... you were supposed to win.

Ohhh...what have I started....

stoic said:
yea don't get to worked up about beating us in this football game... you were supposed to win.

yeah, y'all played surprisingly well, especially your d-line. you guys have gotten screwed in a few close ones. since we didn't lose today, we will probably lose to A&M - texas always craps out.

Members don't see this ad :)
SitraAchra said:
you aren't a fan, and we will beat A&M

hopefully. i have friends at a&m and i don't feel like listening to their BS if they win

Sports aside, see y'all in 2005. Are the apartments around KUMed pretty nice/affordable, or do most people commute? Were most of you KU undergrads like I was?

Peace

lilmo said:
rockchalk jayhawk! screw ctb and respiratory phys. i think a jayhawk sdn-er party should be in our near future.

that's h-e- double hockey stix of an idea

ishaninatte said:
Sports aside, see y'all in 2005. Are the apartments around KUMed pretty nice/affordable, or do most people commute? Were most of you KU undergrads like I was?

Peace

i live right by the school in an itty-bitty studio. not exactly the best part of town, and all the cool apartments seem to be on the missouri side. i think the best bet is to find some people and get a house. pm me if anyone has any questions.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

How about the KU Men's basketball team - #1 in the nation. Now that's something to talk about.

Hey, since I have a year off before I start med school, I was hoping to buy a few of the textbooks and brush up a bit before hand.

Anyone know the Biochem or Cell Biology books that will be used next year? Not even gonna bother with Anatomy (wish I had taken as an undergrad...gonna be a busy first year :( )

Thanks

ishaninatte said:
Hey, since I have a year off before I start med school, I was hoping to buy a few of the textbooks and brush up a bit before hand.

Anyone know the Biochem or Cell Biology books that will be used next year? Not even gonna bother with Anatomy (wish I had taken as an undergrad...gonna be a busy first year :( )

Thanks

For Cell and Tissue Biology, they are using Kierszenbaum (possibly mispelled). They rely mainly on class notes for biochem.

ishaninatte said:

Thanks

the biochem textbook sucks and nobody buys it. i just use mine from undergrad for reference. for cell biology i'd recommend "basic concepts in cell biology and histology" by klein. it's written by the prof and will give you a good overview for the course. enjoy.

Im a KSU graduate but am looking forward to the transition.

after 4 years in manhattan the purple is getting annoying

are there any other KSU graduates on SDN?

GO DocHawks

ishaninatte said:

Thanks

wow, quite ambitious......i really wouldn't venture to buy a biochem book, b/c it'll just end up as a door stop, or possibly a really expensive log for your fireplace. There's a few good books for CTB (Cell and Tissue Bio), but I don't know how high yield they'd be for a "brushing up".......they're pretty dense, and well, you should just enjoy life right now before the real "brushing up" begins. Plus, there's a good chance that your big sib will hook you up with some books, so you might want to wait.

Nonetheless, if you're still gung-ho about it, send me a PM and I'll getcha some more info. As mentioned by my colleagues, the Kierztenbaum book and the Klein "basic concepts" books are good starts. If you want to be venturous, I'd also recommend "Pre-Test" by Klein and Enders.......but, seriously for the love of humanity, don't start studying now

felipe5 said:
wow, quite ambitious......i really wouldn't venture to buy a biochem book, b/c it'll just end up as a door stop, or possibly a really expensive log for your fireplace. There's a few good books for CTB (Cell and Tissue Bio), but I don't know how high yield they'd be for a "brushing up".......they're pretty dense, and well, you should just enjoy life right now before the real "brushing up" begins. Plus, there's a good chance that your big sib will hook you up with some books, so you might want to wait.

Nonetheless, if you're still gung-ho about it, send me a PM and I'll getcha some more info. As mentioned by my colleagues, the Kierztenbaum book and the Klein "basic concepts" books are good starts. If you want to be venturous, I'd also recommend "Pre-Test" by Klein and Enders.......but, seriously for the love of humanity, don't start studying now

take this man up on his offer of help. he was my TA in physiology and went above and beyond to help me out. he'll steer you in the right direction.

The advice I have gathered from a few current KU med students is to drink, party, and find some extra money for next year. One of them specifically told me not to study ahead because studying is all I'll do while I'm there anyway. I don't plan on drinking myself stupid this year, but I don't plan on doing much more than is needed to get through.

rock chalk

SDN'er party...sounds fun

Jmuhnie said:
The advice I have gathered from a few current KU med students is to drink, party, and find some extra money for next year. One of them specifically told me not to study ahead because studying is all I'll do while I'm there anyway. I don't plan on drinking myself stupid this year, but I don't plan on doing much more than is needed to get through.

rock chalk

SDN'er party...sounds fun

Hey Jmuhnie - Have you been accepted? Just curious. :) I also plan to relax as much as possible this year!

evajaclynn said:
Hey Jmuhnie - Have you been accepted? Just curious. :) I also plan to relax as much as possible this year!

Jmuhnie is yet another jayhawk who got in through KU's early decision program.

Incidently, we were roommates as freshman!

PS. I'm posting this 'cause Jmuhnie just got Halo2 and likely won't leave the couch for the next few days :laugh:

stoic said:

PS. I'm posting this 'cause Jmuhnie just got Halo2 and likely won't leave the couch for the next few days :laugh:

Completely understandable - I hear that Halo2 is out of control. :)

stoic said:

gotta love the dorms :love: :love:

what dorm did you guys live in?

phleebie said:
what dorm did you guys live in?

mccollum, home of the nightly 3 am fire alarm.

I spent my first year at KU in Corbin (all girls dorm for those of you who didn't go to undergrad at KU). Made some great friends, but it can get very old living only with females!!!! :)

HASH representin' mo'fackas........stoners, musicians, and hippies unite. I may be the only medical "product" that came out of Hash, well besides the cases of COPD and acute memory loss

i was a flip-flop wearing frat guy (but not very proud of it).

Guilty of being a Hashie myself. And come to think of it, I think you were my Mamm Phys TA too Felipe. You used to play hackey sack with one of my friends.

I only feel like getting the textbooks and studying because 1) Never had biochem and 2) I really think I have forgotten absolutely all my undergrad science. Like seriously, starting from scratch over here. Ah well, I'm not gonna worry about it. I do kind of need a doorstop though...

stoic said:
Which house dude?

i was a fiji. we have fiji island (which is a great party) once a year, but other than that the house is pretty worthless.

Temporary Frat guy (of the now defunct AKL) here in my first year until my grades went down down down. Later lived at Ellsworth. (I think that's the one..it was on Naismith)

Man there really are a lot of hawks out there.

Actually the two dorms on Naismith are Naismith Hall (which isn't affiliated with the university) and Oliver Hall.

Where do you guys want to go when you grow up? Meaning do you want to stay in Kansas to practice or are you trying to escape? :laugh:

I personally like small town USA, although it's probably going to be difficult to adjust to re-adjust to the ultra conservative nature of small town USA.

ishaninatte said:
Guilty of being a Hashie myself. And come to think of it, I think you were my Mamm Phys TA too Felipe. You used to play hackey sack with one of my friends.

I only feel like getting the textbooks and studying because 1) Never had biochem and 2) I really think I have forgotten absolutely all my undergrad science. Like seriously, starting from scratch over here. Ah well, I'm not gonna worry about it. I do kind of need a doorstop though...

fair enough........okay, if you really really want to get started ahead of the game, you could always familiarize yourself w/ proteins (architecture, identifying AA's, pka's, etc). Still though, I'd say its not really worth it.....you'll find that a lot of people haven't had biochem, and even those that have had it (biochem majors even) won't necessarily do better than you :horns:

oh yes, i remember hackie sac.....back when I used to go outside :oops:

Ahhh! surrounded by jayhawks, it's my worst nightmare!!! :eek:

Oliver...that's the one...man its been a long time.

stoic said:
Where do you guys want to go when you grow up? Meaning do you want to stay in Kansas to practice or are you trying to escape? :laugh:

I personally like small town USA, although it's probably going to be difficult to adjust to re-adjust to the ultra conservative nature of small town USA.

I've lived in Kansas all my life and spent most of it in small town USA so I think I'm used to it. Plus I had a few friends who already went back so I don't think it would be that bad. I'm also thinking about *** IF I get in but one thing at a time for now.

Representin' KD here - lived there for 2 1/2 years. Anyways, as far as where I'd want to practice, I really have no idea. I've lived near major cities (DC) and absolutely loved it, but KC isn't so bad either. I guess that I probably wouldn't want to work in rural Kansas. Of course, it will depend on what's going on in my life in 4 years (with the assumption that I get in this year)! :luck: :luck: :luck:

evajaclynn said:
Representin' KD here - lived there for 2 1/2 years. Anyways, as far as where I'd want to practice, I really have no idea. I've lived near major cities (DC) and absolutely loved it, but KC isn't so bad either. I guess that I probably wouldn't want to work in rural Kansas. Of course, it will depend on what's going on in my life in 4 years (with the assumption that I get in this year)! :luck: :luck: :luck:

don't think you'll have any problem getting in this year. looking forward to seeing you and all the other jayhawks around campus next year :)

lilmo said:
don't think you'll have any problem getting in this year. looking forward to seeing you and all the other jayhawks around campus next year :)

Thanks Lilmo! I guess we'll find out soon enough. :)

ku06 said:
Gonna apply soon... should be in... Born and Raised Jayhawk!

Beak Em Hawks!

are you applying for this round (2005)?!