JC students getting into med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shuzee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
are student who attend junior colleges looked down upon? are they really at a disadvantage for attending their first years at a JC? I have heard that from people. are there students on this forum who went to a jc, transferred and then got into med school?!

Members don't see this ad.

shuzee said:
are student who attend junior colleges looked down upon? are they really at a disadvantage for attending their first years at a JC? I have heard that from people. are there students on this forum who went to a jc, transferred and then got into med school?!

I don't think that JC students are looked down upon.

I started at UC Berkeley, then couldn't afford it dropped out, joined the military so they could pay for school, had a heart attack, got kicked out for having a heart attack, ended up homeless, slept in my car, found a job, rented a room, went back to a JC, currently at the JC and will transfer to Davis or Berkeley next year, and I will get into medical school.

Having said that. As long as JC students do well in their classes, the MCAT and do well transferring to a 4 year university they can get into med school. I think one of the disadvantages is when we transfer we are juniors and don't get to know professors well before requesting a recommendation.

icebrat001 said:

I started at UC Berkeley, then couldn't afford it dropped out, joined the military so they could pay for school, had a heart attack, got kicked out for having a heart attack, ended up homeless, slept in my car, found a job, rented a room, went back to a JC, currently at the JC and will transfer to Davis or Berkeley next year, and I will get into medical school.

Having said that. As long as JC students do well in their classes, the MCAT and do well transferring to a 4 year university they can get into med school. I think one of the disadvantages is when we transfer we are juniors and don't get to know professors well before requesting a recommendation.

Oh yeah...

There was this girl at my JC who spent 3 years at the JC, then went to UC Berkeley and went to Harvard SOM. I'm sure that's rare but it's all in the amount of effort you put forward.

Members don't see this ad :)
icebrat001 said:

thanks for the encouragement dude....yeh..you'll make it!!! ALL THE BEST! :D

i went to a JC and am currently waiting to hear from a few schools, so i would agree that at most schools it is okay if you went to a jc. however, the problem with a jc is that your options in terms of research and organizations are much more limited than at a UC for example. so i would strongly strongly suggest that if you still have not transferred, do NOT wait until you get to a 4-year school to start becoming involved as that will only leave you a year or two before you apply. go try to find a position asap at a lab or something, so you can build relationships with people that you will eventually be getting letters of rec from. one thing that med schools i think would look at, (correct me someone if i am wrong), is the qualifications of the person writing you a letter. usually people at 4-year schools are probably more respected and its hard meeting enough quality people in a short time once you transfer. i guess my main point is just cuz you go to a jc, dont let it stop you from getting a university quality experience or two.
interestingly, on cornell's site it actually does say that it is NOT recommended to take prereq's at a jc....maybe thats why i didnt get an invite.

UCLAreject said:
i went to a JC and am currently waiting to hear from a few schools, so i would agree that at most schools it is okay if you went to a jc. however, the problem with a jc is that your options in terms of research and organizations are much more limited than at a UC for example. so i would strongly strongly suggest that if you still have not transferred, do NOT wait until you get to a 4-year school to start becoming involved as that will only leave you a year or two before you apply. go try to find a position asap at a lab or something, so you can build relationships with people that you will eventually be getting letters of rec from. one thing that med schools i think would look at, (correct me someone if i am wrong), is the qualifications of the person writing you a letter. usually people at 4-year schools are probably more respected and its hard meeting enough quality people in a short time once you transfer. i guess my main point is just cuz you go to a jc, dont let it stop you from getting a university quality experience or two.
interestingly, on cornell's site it actually does say that it is NOT recommended to take prereq's at a jc....maybe thats why i didnt get an invite.

As a female African American college student, i've found it to be really difficult to get a position in a lab.

I've been trying to volunteer at the hospital forever, but they haven't shown any interested in me.

I've pretty much given up the lab and research idea until I transfer.

Is that bad?
:confused:

UCLAreject said:

Although Cornell does not recommend taking your prereq's at a jc if that's where you are a student I don't see the big deal. It is not as though you were a 4 year student trying to take the classes at a 2 year. Also, I was told if you take upper divisions at the 4 year you transferred to they don't care about the prereq at a 2 year thing.

I wish you the best of luck!!!

Which 2 year did u attend and what 4 year are you attending?

i heard medical schools (websites of various schools) would rather you not take pre-med reqs at a JC because it is not up to the level of a 4 year college. They will of course accept it but would rather not.

uclabruin2003 said:
i heard medical schools (websites of various schools) would rather you not take pre-med reqs at a JC because it is not up to the level of a 4 year college. They will of course accept it but would rather not.

I went to a community college for almost all of my pre-reqs (as a post-bacc student) and it was a GREAT curriculum. I've gotten into several med schools now. I'm not sure what they think of my CC credentials but those classes definitely helped me on the MCAT. I guess the quality of CC's varies but then so does the rigour of 4-year schools. Some people definitely have a snootly little attitude that they carry around with them, but not everyone. Regardless of where you go, if you do well you always have a chance!

I personally called several adcoms here in texas because some of my prereqs are from a CC and they basically all said the same thing. They will not be looked down at at all IF and I stress IF you made very good grades in JC or CC, and IF your grades do not drop off once you transfer. They said the only red flag is if you have a 4.0 at JC and then transfer and do poorly at your 4 year school it looks like the lower grades are what your "real" potential is.

icebrat001 said:
Although Cornell does not recommend taking your prereq's at a jc if that's where you are a student I don't see the big deal. It is not as though you were a 4 year student trying to take the classes at a 2 year. Also, I was told if you take upper divisions at the 4 year you transferred to they don't care about the prereq at a 2 year thing.

I wish you the best of luck!!!

Which 2 year did u attend and what 4 year are you attending?

Let me break it down. I went to a JC, then transferred to Berkeley, and I had no problem whatsoever getting acceptances. Even Cornell you have mentioned invited me for interview, but I declined them. I've been accepted great schools, and for every single interview I have been, the interviewer actually liked the fact that I received my education at a smaller, more personal institution. that's right, I believe that my experience at JC helped me get into many schools...

I do want to point out, however, like some previous have mentioned, it is definitely crucial that you do well at the JC and do well after you transfer, and do well on the MCAT (but so does everyone else?).

In brief, attendint a JC does not hurt at all, rather helped me to be a successful applicant. Of course, I worked for it. Do not listen to anyone in this forum that has not even gone through the ENTIRE process. I've done it, and so can you.

shuzee said:

make sure you rock the MCAT. if you have any weak areas, like verbal or a physical sci, get help soon. take the MCAT seriously since it's really the only academic gauge that will set aside any doubts med schools might have about your JC work.
make sure you get good letters from both your JC and 4 year. MCAT, gpa, letters and clinical exposure are important. don't focus sooo much on research unless you're seriously interested.

good luck

peepers

JimmyMallo said:
I personally called several adcoms here in texas because some of my prereqs are from a CC and they basically all said the same thing. They will not be looked down at at all IF and I stress IF you made very good grades in JC or CC, and IF your grades do not drop off once you transfer. They said the only red flag is if you have a 4.0 at JC and then transfer and do poorly at your 4 year school it looks like the lower grades are what your "real" potential is.

unfortunatley, thats exactly what happened to me. I transferred from a great JC to UCLA and then my grades dropped the first two quarters. Things were fine later on but there was a drop. I have been working for a gyn-oncologist at UCLA medical center and will have a publication by this summer, but my gpa has suffered. Maybe i should start rethinking about my options. :eek: :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
icebrat001 said:
Oh yeah...

u are so getting into harvard with that story

I went to Santa Monica College for JC, which was one of the best, and I whole-heartedly agree with one of the previous posters that I probably got a science education that exceeded anything I would have gotten at UCLA where I now go to school. After I transferred I realized that I am probably more prepared than most students here for the MCAT.
In terms of getting a getting research job, I know that UCLA had a special program for allowing JC students to get summer expeience in research. They also have a program that was geared towards minorities. Im not sure what school is nearby you, but you should just go over there, look around, peek into some doorways, and make sure they give you the time of day. Nothing comes easy in this world, but don't let people get away with ignoring you. If they don't return a call dont wait for them, Call them every day or go there and show them that you are serious and care.

I went to a JC place then transferred to a uni and now I am a 4th year MS waiting for the match. A JC DOES NOT hold you back from medical school and if you do really well with great scores and letters you can get into any medical school. :cool:

gintien said:
u are so getting into harvard with that story

I probably won't get into Harvard with my story because it's my life, I had to live with that and more then what I posted. It's not being used as a pity story to get into school.

I don't think I can do the Homeless to Harvard thing like that girl in the lifetime movie.

However, if I get into harvard on my own merits, which I won't, that would be great, because private schools will offer more financial aid.

EvilNewbie said:
I went to a JC place then transferred to a uni and now I am a 4th year MS waiting for the match. A JC DOES NOT hold you back from medical school and if you do really well with great scores and letters you can get into any medical school. :cool:

So many people have said "ROCK the JC" classes....and here's my deal...

I took CC classes, specifically 1st year of Bio, Physics, Calc and English during my senior year in high school....

Many people said that its going to hurt me...and i've also heard...that since I took it during high school it would be looked up upon....i ended up getting 3.67....and currently i'm attending a 4 year liberal arts college...and my gpa is higher than that....by the time i will apply...i will have taken an upperlevel bio and english class...but no higher physics or calc....

what should I do...? Be worried???

mohammadali99 said:

I took CC classes, specifically 1st year of Bio, Physics, Calc and English during my senior year in high school....

Many people said that its going to hurt me...and i've also heard...that since I took it during high school it would be looked up upon....i ended up getting 3.67....and currently i'm attending a 4 year liberal arts college...and my gpa is higher than that....by the time i will apply...i will have taken an upperlevel bio and english class...but no higher physics or calc....

well, it is not the JC part that will hurt you, it is the GPA. It doesn't matter where you attend--Low GPA is...well, Low GPA. though 3.67 isn't going to keep you out of med school, you have to work harder at the university you now attend. and there's that MCAT.

mohammadali99 said:

3.67 was from High School right?---If you can handle your upper division course work SUCCESSFULLY without them, there really shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry, it was a 3.59 GPA for my first year of Bio, Physics, Calc, and English, that I took during my senior year in high school at a community college. I currently have a 3.75 after 1 1/2 years at my University. With both GPA's combined, as it is asked to enter in AMCAS, I currently have 3.69. The good thing I can see is that since I recieved three B's at the community college (...in Physics I & Lab, Bio 1 and Lab, English 102) and got A's in the rest (...Physics 2 & Lab, Bio 2 & Lab, Calc 1 & Calc 2)...it might be looked at as improvement.

I was under the impression that the CC grades wouldn't count, and plus I was in high school...it sucks i'm going to pay for that...

any suggestions? Get good grades for the next 3 semesters before I submit AMCAS and do well on MCATs...is what i've been told....I should be okay right??

Your thoughts will be much appreciated....

mohammadali99 said:
Sorry, it was a 3.59 GPA for my first year of Bio, Physics, Calc, and English, that I took during my senior year in high school at a community college. I currently have a 3.75 after 1 1/2 years at my University. With both GPA's combined, as it is asked to enter in AMCAS, I currently have 3.69. The good thing I can see is that since I recieved three B's at the community college (...in Physics I & Lab, Bio 1 and Lab, English 102) and got A's in the rest (...Physics 2 & Lab, Bio 2 & Lab, Calc 1 & Calc 2)...it might be looked at as improvement.

I was under the impression that the CC grades wouldn't count, and plus I was in high school...it sucks i'm going to pay for that...

any suggestions? Get good grades for the next 3 semesters before I submit AMCAS and do well on MCATs...is what i've been told....I should be okay right??

Your thoughts will be much appreciated...

mohammadali99 said:

The JC classes you have taken, regardless of when you took them, WILL COUNT for AMCAS. In fact, ALL post-secondary grades, whether JC, university, grad schools, etc, are reported and will be counted. Even more, you took them to satisfy your first semesters of your sciences, so it further confirms that. IMO, I believe your GPA matters the most, not where and when you have taken the classes.

My suggestion is, as I have mentioned before, just do well at where you are right now. If you want to pull your GPA even higher, don't apply until you finished you are finished with your senior year, so you can have those counted for AMCAS (which mean you take a year off after undergrad).

I hope I made some sense. Good luck.