JC --> UCB Transfer Student, need MCB course advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HigHal320

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm a junior transfer student to UCB for the coming fall semester. I'm going to be majoring in MCB with an emphasis in CDB. I'm thinking of taking Phys8A and IB131 for my first semester there. Is this doable for a first year transfer student? I was warned by some friends who went to Calso orientation to take just one major requirement course. Any advice from former students is welcomed :)

Thanks,

Alan

Members don't see this ad.

I think that's very doable. IB 131 is taught by Prof. Diamond and in my opinion, is the easiest upper division mcb required course (it serves as an elective for CDB). It is really easy and the tests are lecture based (and they are webcast so u don't even need to attend lecture/can rewatch lecture).

Physics 8a is another ballgame. It was easy for me but that's because I enjoy math. It is a calculus based physics class which requires the use of integrals and derivatives. A lot of people struggle with it but I still think for most people it is WAY easier than something like ochem.

lakersfan said:
I think that's very doable. IB 131 is taught by Prof. Diamond and in my opinion, is the easiest upper division mcb required course (it serves as an elective for CDB). It is really easy and the tests are lecture based (and they are webcast so u don't even need to attend lecture/can rewatch lecture).

Physics 8a is another ballgame. It was easy for me but that's because I enjoy math. It is a calculus based physics class which requires the use of integrals and derivatives. A lot of people struggle with it but I still think for most people it is WAY easier than something like ochem.

Physics 8a is not calc-based--it's algebra based. Calc-based physics is the 7 series. If you had high school physics and did well, you should have little trouble getting through 8a. Those classes are probably fine. Just be sure to keep up with the work. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
IB131 is amazingly easy; just pay attention during the review lectures. Although I took 7A instead of 8A, it shouldn't be too bad. Those two together seem like a good start.

Why is the MCB major at Berkeley a B.A. degree? That's what I heard from my friend who went there.

The IB 131 class material may seem more managable than the MCB courses, but there are a lot of premeds in that class too, so you still have to work pretty hard.

The physics 8 series is pretty tough. you cover a lot of material, very easy to get a B if you're not on top of things.

Just make sure you do all the assigned problem sets and understand them. Don't scramble to do them at the end of the week like MANY will.

I think it's a managable course load :)

GL!

COme on man, IB131???? why r u chickening out of MCB136 cause that's the REAL physio class.

8A was a piece of cake, i got an A+. I did it freshmen year so i bet you can ace that sucka too. Are you transfering from CCSF?

131 is anatomy my man, not physio.

jeffsleepy said:
131 is anatomy my man, not physio.

I went to Berkeley, took my time, focused on doing my best, and am graduating with a 3.8. Don't listen to people who tell you your course load at UCB is too easy (like that one guy above). Someone did that to me once upon a time, I was lucky I didn't listen to them!

good luck!

if u want to keep ur gpa up while taking science courses, i recommend taking IB classes. anatomy is the easiest class u will find. in fact, on the lectures before the midterms and final, she reviews the exact topics that will be on the tests.. and i mean exact. if u miss all other lectures, and only attend that review lecture, u can still ace the test. i kid u not.

look into IB137 endocrinology. its not an easy class, but its taught by one of the best professors in the department, and the subject matter is engrossing and very clinical based. i hear that mcb 102 is easiest during summer (open book tests) and mcb 130 has better professors during spring.

also, try to take ids130. its a medical seminar that teaches u about all the hot controvertial topics in medicine and healthcare (health insurance, abortion, alternative medicine, etc etc.) its like subject fodder for interviews. plus, ids130 can lead u into the FSI program which is an internship where u get to shadow a bay area physician.. this is the best program in all of campus in my humble opnion. look into BSP (biology scholars program) if u are URM or economically disadvantaged. they will pay for ur MCAT course.

PM me if u have questions about classes, volunteer opportunities, etc etc. i took alot of upper division mcb and ib (double major) classes since i needed to boost my science gpa. i know which ones are easier A's and which ones are not so easy.

go to the student counselors in the mcb office. acquire as much knowledge as u can on classes, volunteer, research etc etc. berkeley is rich in resources but no one tells u about them unless u ask and seek.

btw, cc students kick ass in my experience when they get to berkeley. i dont know why, but damn, they rock the classes.

UCB may not be easy but MCB borders close to it. That said, there is no such thing as an easy A at Cal so watch out. Never leave anything to chance; You wouldnt if you were a physician, and you shouldnt as a student. That I believe is one of the things that GPA's give adcoms insight about. And what does that require: it requires that you know yourself and your limits. I dont really consider myself smart at all but I think Im damn good at understanding who I am and what are my indiosyncracies. In school, as in life, it's all about the end result.

I think you should look into MCB 102, since you're planning to do an emphasis in CDB. MCB 102 is a prereq to many of the required upper div science classes like MCB 130. IB 131 is probably one of the easiest classes you can take to satisfy a MCB major requirement. I would also look into Publich Health 162 (Microbiology) and Public Health 172 (Pharmacology). I believe 162 is Fall only and 172 is Spring only. You should check on that. Also if you want to avoid taking MCB 130L, you can take PH 162 + lab and then IB 132 + lab. I think that was the combo to help you waive 130L. You should talk to someone in MCB UAO about that. Some unit filler classes would have to be IDS 130, IB 117 (Plant ethnobotany), and Political Science 179 (not totally sure its right course number, but its a 1 unit class where people come and speak about politics; pretty easy and sometimes they're famous guest speakers). Hope that helps

thanks guys, never thought so much people would reply :laugh:

CalH22a:
I was also thinking of taking MCB102 first. However, I decided to take it with phys8B in spring so I will have more time to get used to the new environment.

dhoonlee:
sorry for the confusion; I have only listed the science classes that I planned to take for the fall semester.

AxlxA:
I'm transferring from Foothill College (Los Altos). BTW, I'm taking IB131 for my CDB elective, not to replace MCB 136.

I'll definitely look into IDS 130. what other courses do you guys recommend?

HigHal320 said:
thanks guys, never thought so much people would reply :laugh:

CalH22a:
I was also thinking of taking MCB102 first. However, I decided to take it with phys8B in spring so I will have more time to get used to the new environment.

dhoonlee:
sorry for the confusion; I have only listed the science classes that I planned to take for the fall semester.

AxlxA:
I'm transferring from Foothill College (Los Altos). BTW, I'm taking IB131 for my CDB elective, not to replace MCB 136.

I'll definitely look into IDS 130. what other courses do you guys recommend?

Was going back and looking back at my old posts since this is what my life has come too...um, physics 8a (i had with prof. Dalven)...it was very much calculus based. I guess I should rephrase my answer and say that it really depends on who your professor for 8A is (I believe there were 2 sections of 8a the semester I took and the other prof. was less calculus intensive...saying that, the 7 series is definitely more cal calculus oriented and meant for engineers).

I took a class with Prof. Timiras (MCB 135e...phys. of human development). It was a fun class and not too intensive (nothing like biochem, etc).

lakersfan said:
I took a class with Prof. Timiras (MCB 135e...phys. of human development). It was a fun class and not too intensive (nothing like biochem, etc).

I think Physics 8A and IB131 should be pretty light compared to the courses you are gonna take later on. Physics depends much on the professor, but most MCBers & Architecture major aren't very good with physics or math. (Of course, there are the curve breakers all the time...) If you are above average in math and physics, the curve will help you.

I'd say MCB 102 is the hardest upper div course. Not only is there much to memorize/study, there are also 3 professors to get used to.

Some of the easier MCB classes include MCB135E and MCB135K, both tought by Prof. Timiras. Since they are easier, the curves become more competitive. Psych 110 and various nutri-sci classes satisfy CDB elective requirements and are also considerably easier than MCB upper divs.

Another class that I'd recommend is MCB135A taught by Prof. Firestone. He's an excellent lecturer. Tests are open books/notes. If you understood the materials well and are capable of problem-solving, you'd ace the class. As a bonus, you can ask for a letter from Prof. Firestone, one of the CDB advisors. :thumbup:

Good luck in the next 2 years! :luck: