JediWendell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KY2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In some of your post I have heard you mention several oms programs with a comfy lifestyle. Lifestyle will definetly influence where I want to go since I am married and have a 16 month old daughter. Are there any programs out there where you will spend less than 60 hours per week working during your residency. If there is, are these programs subpar? I want to go to a 6 year program that focuses on cosmetics but still gives you plenty of experience with the bread and butter parts of oms like implants, extractions, and so on. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

KY2007 said:
In some of your post I have heard you mention several oms programs with a comfy lifestyle. Lifestyle will definetly influence where I want to go since I am married and have a 16 month old daughter. Are there any programs out there where you will spend less than 60 hours per week working during your residency. If there is, are these programs subpar? I want to go to a 6 year program that focuses on cosmetics but still gives you plenty of experience with the bread and butter parts of oms like implants, extractions, and so on. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Something to remember is that if a program is accredited, then you are getting all that the ADA says you need to get to be an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. Past that, you need to decide what you want. Most of the programs that are heavy on cosmetics are pretty tough cookies overall, too. If you are willing to forego cosmetic emphasis, then there are a lot of good programs that would give you what you want. Most six year programs are going to be more time consuming, also. I was more into the bread and butter stuff, and probably would have been better off at a four year program. I would say that 60 hours per week are a minimum for almost any residency, though.

I had seen one post of yours that said that some residents at Louisville were pulling in a six figure salary by moonlighting. How did they have time to do this. Also, do most programs give residents scheduled days off besides vacation, or do you work 7 days a week for the whole time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you will be hard pressed to find any OMFS programs at 60hrs/week. And if on the off chance you do, I do not believe that it will be a good program. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but this is the reality. There are 6 year programs in which residents are married with kids, but the residents do make a sacrifice and work the 80 hrs every week.

I'm in a 6-year program and I put in about 80-100 hours per week while I'm on oral surgery. But my schedule changes depending on what rotation I'm on. The med school portions gave me the most free time. I moonlighted 20-30 hours per week while in med school. Whenever I had a chance to leave the hospital, I left.

toofache.......what program are you at now?

toofache32 said:
I'm in a 6-year program and I put in about 80-100 hours per week while I'm on oral surgery. But my schedule changes depending on what rotation I'm on. The med school portions gave me the most free time. I moonlighted 20-30 hours per week while in med school. Whenever I had a chance to leave the hospital, I left.
Do you get scheduled days off or do you work 7 days per week during the oral surgery part?

KY2007. It sounds like you aren't sure about oms, and it would be a mistake to pursue it without being 100%. I am in a very intense program 80-100 h/week and I have 2 kids 19 months and 3 weeks. It can be done. You can learn and experience everything in oral surgery with the hours of an ortho/perio/endo/pedo resident otherwise the residency would be 9 years long.

Ky2007:

I like how you are interested in OMFS as a 2nd year (as I was then also), but I have never asked as many questions as you have. Many of your questions can be answered simply by doing an externship and/or spend some time at your OMFS department.

I've heard a lot of great things about your KY OMFS program, talk to your residents, OMFS faculty and upper classmen who are also interested in OMFS. Remember, study hard and get at leasta 90 first! As an extern in all my externship experiences, I was always there at the hospital/dental school at least 80 hours/week, I can't imagine any OMFS residencies would be less than 60 hours/week.

omfsres said:
KY2007. It sounds like you aren't sure about oms, and it would be a mistake to pursue it without being 100%. I am in a very intense program 80-100 h/week and I have 2 kids 19 months and 3 weeks. It can be done. You can learn and experience everything in oral surgery with the hours of an ortho/perio/endo/pedo resident otherwise the residency would be 9 years long.
Of course I'm not sure yet. If I was I wouldn't be asking all these questions. I am going to find out as much information as I can, go to some oms externships, and keep spending as much time in my oms department as I can. I'm only halfway through my second year so I still have time to decide. However, what I don't want to do is realize at the beginning of my 4th year that nothing will make me happy except for oms and then not have enough time left to do anything about. I'm just trying to get all of my ducks in a row right now. Also, my family is a big part of my decision and I will always try to do what is best for my family and not just what I think is best for me. When it comes time to apply for oms I will take all of the information that I have learned about oms during my 4 years of dental school and decide then what impact this decision will have on my family. The reason that I was wondering if any programs averaged less than 60 hrs per week is not because I'm lazy, but because I want my daughter to know who I am. One last thing. Could you comment on how this has affected your family life? Do you still have time to spend with your family?

Yah-E said:
Ky2007:

I like how you are interested in OMFS as a 2nd year (as I was then also), but I have never asked as many questions as you have. Many of your questions can be answered simply by doing an externship and/or spend some time at your OMFS department.

I've heard a lot of great things about your KY OMFS program, talk to your residents, OMFS faculty and upper classmen who are also interested in OMFS. Remember, study hard and get at leasta 90 first! As an extern in all my externship experiences, I was always there at the hospital/dental school at least 80 hours/week, I can't imagine any OMFS residencies would be less than 60 hours/week.
I'm participating in an externship at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit this comming summer. My school only gives me 3 weeks off so I am only doing a 2 week, but I am sure you are right. I'm not trying to be annoying. One last thing. Whats wrong with asking questions? :laugh:

KY2007 said:
One last thing. Whats wrong with asking questions? :laugh:
Questions are always good. Except for "Where do babies come from?"

omfsres said:
I didn't know you had your new kid. I'll have to give you a call and see how things are going. I've still got just the one kid...and now that I think about it...he looks a heckuva lot like you. I'm trying to figure this one out...

KY2007 said:
I'm participating in an externship at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit this comming summer. My school only gives me 3 weeks off so I am only doing a 2 week, but I am sure you are right. I'm not trying to be annoying. One last thing. Whats wrong with asking questions? :laugh:

just wonderin..

WHY henry Ford?

I gotta be honest, I was working 110 average during my intern year(third year of the residency). It was pretty cush during first year, because that was second year of medical school. The third year of medical school was 80 or so a week. My co-resident is doing his general surgery this year (which I would be doing if I was still a glutton for punishment), and is pulling around 110 again. Fifth years do about 80-90 and chiefs bump back up to around 100-110. That is why I am saying you have to figure out what you want to do when you are done. If you want a cush residency, you are going to learn how to take out third molars, do dentoalveolar, and some implants. You probably won't learn how to do hip grafts or complex implantology. You will do some trauma. If you just want to sit in an office and shuck teeth all day long, do an easy residency. If you want to do complex stuff like orthognathics and cosmetics, you are going to have to bite the bullet and do a tough six year like LSU, Parkland, Alabama, San Antonio, Shreveport, etc. The louisville guys had a deal where they were moonlighting taking out thirds on saturday and maybe a half a day a week otherwise. May not be the same anymore.

jiggapigga said:
just wonderin..

WHY henry Ford?
It's a well rounded program and oms faculty at my school said it would be a good experience. Plus you know that a city like detroit is going to see some great trauma. It's also within driving distance.

KY2007 said:
It's a well rounded program and oms faculty at my school said it would be a good experience. Plus you know that a city like detroit is going to see some great trauma. It's also within driving distance.

Hey, if you are looking for a program that is a nice lifestyle, with good patients and gives you the MD with the cosmetics training. Look at Omaha, almost all the residents have kids, they give you a great private practice training with plenty of cosmetics training. I didn't go there but it was very high on my list. The residents seemed very competent their, they have a good director.