Jeff vs. Monte vs. JHU Bayview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

germanIMG

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI,

need some other thoughts on this dilemma of mine:

I know that I am going to rank Cornell #1, but am completly unsure about the rest.
I plan to go into an competitive Hem/onc fellowship

here is my dilemma: for personal reasons it would make sense to rank Jefferson higher then I otherwise would do, mainly because my wife could keep her buisness. there is certainly a possibility to keep it and commute, but it would be easier if we would stay in philly.
+ i like the city. Thus life quality for Jefferson

BUT, I am a bit concerned about their overall reputation, but more concrete about their mediocre placement into hem/ onc fellowships in recent years.
don't know if that is a true reflection of reputation or just a selection bias by the candidates who rank Jeferson high. They do reasonably well in cards for example.
Compared to Monte/Mt. Sinai- i lump them both together for I do not see a big difference in the two programs, Jeff certainly is weaker...But how much weaker? concret, would they considerably add to my application for fellowship, considering that I have a background of 3 years clinical Hem/onc in germany + 3 years of research in the US
lastly, JHU-Bayview, which I know some people on this forum look down at, but in my case it would essentially secure fellowship at JHU

any thought?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have never posted on this site but have read a lot on here and I felt compelled to post to this since I had pretty much the exact same question, though slightly different. My debate was between Jeff and Hopkins-BV for my number three and four spots. My top two are fairly set and location is not really a factor (since my number one is in Philly and my number two is in Baltimore). It was a tough decision to make and I am still debating it but right now I have Jeff at three, mostly because I would prefer to stay in Philly. I am interested in GI and I thought the GI placement at Jeff was a bit better. That said, I really liked the program at Baview and I am interested in this bad rep it has on the board. I know it isn't a top tier program but I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and I really liked many of the attendings and residents I intereacted with. My take on Jeff is that it is a very front loaded program. There interens are worked hard and it isn't help by the amount of private patients. That said, their second and third years seem to be much better and their placement, in at least GI (can't speak for heme onc) was good. My biggest knock against Jeff besides the amount of private patients is that they rotate through the Wilmington VA, which is a bit of a drive from Philly.

any other comments?

Members don't see this ad :)
i think that based on reputation monte/mt sinai>>jeff.

i recently had the opportunity to talk to a jeff med student going into medicine. although he said that the program is good and they matched well, he stated that he thought it was malignant. to me that is a red flag right there and med students usually have a more objective opinion of a program.

that being said you are going to have to decide how you want to balance out your personal factors with the reputation of the program. i am sure there are plenty of people that would choose a program like jeff over the ones you mentioned based on location. but if you are going to rank cornell number 1, it doesn't seem like location is that important to you. if that is the case i would put monte/mt sinai above jeff.

germanIMG said:
any other comments?

bof said:
i think that based on reputation monte/mt sinai>>jeff.

but if you are going to rank cornell number 1, it doesn't seem like location is that important to you. if that is the case i would put monte/mt sinai above jeff.

thanks bof for your comment.

This goes essentially to the heart of my question...in the case of Cornell the advantage was so obvious, especially being interested in Hem/Onc that it is easily justifiable. I wasn't so sure for the other two NY programs, but you obviously do think so..

I also would not call Jeff malignant, more not very well organized and extremly front loaded ;-)...the leadership there is actually very friendly
and the vast mayority of their residents are Jeff students, so not all of hem feel that bad about Jeff. Although I have to admit, those that I met on the interview trail all didn''t like it at all