Jefferson Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Supadupafly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's time there was a single thread for Jefferson issues. Hopefully this will catch on.

My first question: Does anyone have information on when and how we should pay the deposit?

Members don't see this ad.

The 100 buck deposit? If that one, I believe its may 15.

is that the same one that you could have sent in when you accepted your place ? Hopefully it is (though I'm sure they will let me know if I haven't paid). Are you guys going to the second look? I was going to, but bridesmaid stuff has popped up for the weekend in San Diego and now I don't know . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
Ill be there for the dinner and the tour the next day. Does anyone know if we can bring another person to these events? Im too lazy to call. Also, do you guys know anything about the new construction at Jeff? I heard they're building a couple of new buildings.

And another question: Does everyone keep getting emails on the Jeff pulse saying that you've been unsubscribed from various mailing lists?

Yup, me too. I just hope they'll put us on some sort of list before to long. You, know info for the incommers... Or they could give us our own forum on Pulse.
I just think it would be cool... :cool:

Maybe I'm being a dork, but I'm just excited about every little step closer to actually being there.

And another question: Does everyone keep getting emails on the Jeff pulse saying that you've been unsubscribed from various mailing lists?

Don't worry about those. Occasionally they do that and everyone gets them. They probably won't start emailing the class list until you get here so don't worry. Most of the info comes in the mail.

BTW Congrats!

wait, do you guys have Jeff email accounts yet or something, or are these emails going to your regular accounts? I haven't been getting any of these emails about which you speak, could somebody fill me in?
thanks!
youcandoit.

ps - I'm excited for the second-look

yeah, im accepted but i didnt get an email account yet, when did you all get that?

About a month ago I received an email from Jeff's IT depart giving me an intro to computing at Jeff. Included was my email address and everything needed to access my email account (which contained a bunch of crude). However, I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem: I can send emails from my jeff account, but I can't receive any (after I deleted all the junk in my inbox I haven't received a single email)? Thanks!
p.s. you probably need to have accepted your acceptance to get the email account.

Your email address is [email protected], your password is your social security number. The site is "http://pulse.jefferson.edu".

For the fellow who isn't recieving emails: I thought that was my case also, but sent myself a test and recieved it. Try that out.

Is anyone moving to Philly early? I'm going to go a couple months before hand to get settled.

So you're not going with the on-campus housing?

Does anyone know when we can move in to the on-camp housing? Does anyone know how it compares price-wise to other housing in the area? Also how nice/slummy is it?

Re housing:
Housing on-campus is suppose to be pretty good (they are in the middle of a full renovation). Prices are pretty much the same between on and off, though you could probably find a cheaper apartment off-campus. I have been trying to find out when I can move in but they lady said they don't even start housing stuff till May . . .bummer 'cause I'm going to be out of the country in June and July!

side note: I think I'm going to stick with Jefferson threads from now on, the people are nice and they don't bite your head off for having an opinion (I just got told feminism is not in style)

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too, I'm glad that everyone on these posts seems nice and normal, I think you'll all be cool people to go to school with.
Its so weird for me looking at the posts on here that are blatently sexist(like the what's up with pre-med women post!), and everyone seems to assume from your posting that you are a man, since men are doctors right?
I guess its just really weird for me because I went to a women's college.

Oh, has anyone who talked to them about housing had to change their preferences, and are they open to that? I was having a really hard time deciding if I wanted a roomate or not, and finally decided just to send it in, and then changed my mind.

the housing office seemed pretty cool . . .since they don't start assigning housing till May I would think they would be open to changes before then. I know what you mean about sexism! someone posted that the girls at Jefferson were ugly (and this was on one of those which school should I pick posts). I wrote back that anyone who based their decision on how the chicks look might want to reconsider medicine . . . you can image the fallout that ensued (got a few tirades about career-driven women). Do ya'll think I was completely out of line?

Long live Feminist docs! Down with sexist Pr---s.
I'm just glad they're not comming to Jeff, who cares about why.
BTW, my host when I came to interview was seriously cool, as were all the other students I met there.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

But also, don't take that stuff too seriously. I'm sure it's mostly just said to get a rise out of people like us, just general trollish behavior, posturing, y'know. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by celticmists18
the housing office seemed pretty cool . . .since they don't start assigning housing till May I would think they would be open to changes before then. I know what you mean about sexism! someone posted that the girls at Jefferson were ugly (and this was on one of those which school should I pick posts). I wrote back that anyone who based their decision on how the chicks look might want to reconsider medicine . . . you can image the fallout that ensued (got a few tirades about career-driven women). Do ya'll think I was completely out of line?

I don't think you were out of line, its like you can't even have an opinion on this site without getting flamed, its crazy. All these people want honest opinions but then if you give one that doesn't say everything is wonderful everyone is like you obviously don't know what you are talking about. Its like people just come on here to vent their frustration.
I hate all the women at this and such a school are ugly crap. There was a lot of that going on between my college and another college that we were in a consorsium with, it drove me crazy!

Hey all Jeff-acceptances,

I havent applied yet, but currently live in the city. If you are interested in living off campus, you may want to consider getting a few SDNers together (if you know anyone specifically) and trying to get a house for three to five people. Some houses have two bedrooms... generally you can get a house like that from 450 to 900 a person, but get some really NICE stuff at the lower price range... the housing availability in that part of philly is awesome... such a great thing. Just thought I'd give some advice on something I really -do- have room to say, since I havent started applying yet...

Is anyone else considering the Jeff/Hopkins MD/MPH program? If so, do you know what the timeline for applying is?

I think you can still apply during the first year but I'm not super sure. Also, I'm pretty sure that you just apply directly to the program at hopkins instead of through Jefferson.

Ok this is a really dumb question, and I know it probably doesn't belong in this forum, but what does bump mean?

->as in bump and grind, baby!
Just kidding. ;) It keeps our thread from moving so far down the list that it's lost in obscurity and the sands of time.

oh ok, thanks! :)
I was worried that maybe it meant you had said something wrong or something!

OK, I asked this before in a different Jeff thread but I didn't get a specific answer. When does Jefferson stop interviewing? Have they stopped offering interviews already?

I have no idea, you could always call them and ask them nicely. I know that like three years ago a girl that I went to school with got scheduled for an interview in April, but I have no idea if that is normal or not (She ended up turning it down because she already had a good scholarship somewhere else, so unfortunatly I can't help boost your confidence with acceptance rates for late interviews ).:)

Does anyone know if they have started going to the alternate hold list yet?

Hey

I'm a current student at jeff, and I just wanted to let you guys know about a great oppurtunity. There are five fraternity houses at Jeff that offer inexpensive living and great comraderie. It's a pretty good deal $150-200/month buys you rent, utilities, cable with HBO/cinemax/showtime/HBO2... tivo, keg beer... you get the idea. everything you need to pay for except your cell bill. If you are interested, send me a message, and I will give you the details.

Good luck

Josh

A friend of mine goes to Jeff, I think he lives at the "Phi Alpha Sigma" house. He says that they get through the mundane basic science stuff, and on the weekends there are always plenty of people to hang out with and drink a few beers. He has really changed the way I think about med school. I used to worry that I would spend all of the first two years with my head in a book, but now I think that I might have a pretty good social life, and if it is anything like he makes it sound, it might revolve around the guys I end up living with at his frat. I was not in a fraternity in college, but after talking to my friend, it seems like Crusader paints a pretty realistic picture of what the frats may offer. It sounds like the rent is really cheap and that they are located really close to campus. Also, I have heard that the victory building at Jefferson may not be completed in time for us to move into. Additionally, there has been talk that the university doesn't even manage the student housing any longer and that they have had so much trouble filling their apartments that they are letting Temple students live there in the fall.

I am definately thinking about the fraternity system for next year.

Can't wait to meet you guys next year

Bill

PS is anyone going to the second look day?

hmm... doesn't seem fair there are no frats for us gals.

According to what Dr.Callahan said at mt interview, they should still be interviewing and offering acceptances.

Originally posted by Celestron2000
hmm... doesn't seem fair there are no frats for us gals.

there is one co-ed fraternity, the other four are male-only.

I thought I heard that one of the fraternities was coed...is this true? How do you even get into one?

Have any of you chosen your interest areas for the clinical mentor program? If so, what did you ask for?

I haven't gotten/ heard anything about that. How did you hear about it?

I heard about the mentoring program when I went there, and I think in their guidbook. Before I remember seeing a form online that you could fill out for it to give your choice, along with another for how you want your name on your coat, but now I can't find it.
I'm thinking of putting general internal medicine, or maybe infecious disease, but I haven't decided yet. I think there need to be more women cardiologists, but I don't think I'm the one to do this. I'm also kind of interested in radiology, but I'm not sure it has enough patient contact for me, and its hard to get into

I'm thinking I might want to check out a specialty. Most of my experience has been in PC, so it might be good to get some exposure. My thoughts:

Infectious Disease (I'm a microbiologist now, so maybe I'd be good at it?)

Opthalmology (for some reason, this just seems interesting)

Neonatology (who doesn't love babies?)

OK, come on guys & girls, what are your interests?

Opthamology has scared me ever since I saw this eye surgery picture in national Geographic! I'm so squimish, I'm going to have to get over that very quickly! I think infectious disease could be very interesting, I love immunology!
I love babies too, but after talking to her mom about it I was wondering If I might worry about them too much. There are just too many different things that I'd like to try out.
I don't think I'm well suited for a high stress specialty, but luckily some of the rest of you are!

I'm interested in learning more about Geriatrics. When I interviewed I met a really cool guy who was doing this for his mentoring thing, and he was having a great experience.

Emergency medicine baby! (can we say adult ADD)
Cardiology (help people like myself blah, blah, blah)
can't think of anything else cool . . . so what exactly is this program? apparently I missed the memo

I think they try and set you up with a physician in a specialty of your interest, and who also shares some similar interests outside of medicine. And I think you're supposed to meet with them like once a semester to talk about how you're doing and stuff. But also ifyou have a good mentor, and are interested in shadowing them, you can also do that. How often you see them seems to depend on your interest, and also if they are willing to show you lots of stuff. Then I think in the third year you get your true clinical mentor to help you apply to residencies and things.

Hoping to join this thread officially. Still waiting on the waitlist... impatiently.

Does anyone know the date of the White Coat Ceremony? My dad needs to request time off work, and like every doctor in the hospital wants the first few weeks in August off! Thanks.
p.s. for those going to the second look: since you sent/faxed your confirmation in have you heard anything from them?

I haven't heard anything about the 2nd look weekend since I've sent in my confirmation...

I love Jefferson and I've been admitted. Philly is awesome, but I also got admitted to Wash U in St Louis. I don't know where I should go!

Originally posted by dalo0228
I love Jefferson and I've been admitted. Philly is awesome, but I also got admitted to Wash U in St Louis. I don't know where I should go!

Go to Wash U and designate your spot specifically to me ;)

Originally posted by dalo0228

Well, come to second look day before you make up your mind

I for sure plan to. See you there.