Jefferson Med College Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrZhivago49

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering- does anyone have an opinion regarding Jefferson Medical College? (pros/cons)

I was recently invited for an interview, but it is not until the end of Feb so I can't help but wonder if it is for a waitlist spot? I know that the class size is large so I am not sure how filled it is at this point.

Any thoughts/insights are appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

JMC: awesome for clinical stuff, moderate for research stuff (though there is some research if you really want it).

If I remember correctly, even JMC's mission statement focuses specifically on building clincians (but check this to be sure). So if you want to go clinical, check out JMC. If you want academic medicine... maybe not so much.

I'd put it into the same mold as Loyola Chicago in the heavy clinical, but low research ranking category...

Members don't see this ad :)
another important point is that the clinical involvement in M1 is a bit delayed. Students are not immediately immersed/required to work in a hospital setting inless they seek it out themselves.

They really seem to stress altruism and molding their students to have a sense of "service to the public" but also I was really impressed with thier buildings and locations (all were furnished very nicely and the lecture halls were very up to date)

Research is their downfall. Also, as you mentioned they have about 250 people per class which is either a pro (more people to mingle with) or a con (too big, etc)

hope it helps!

Thank you for the info.
Does anyone have any idea if the class is close to being full at this point?
I think I read that they offer ~500 acceptances out of the ~800 interviews, and I am just trying to get a better idea of my chances.

You are correct on the acceptance rate. I was told about 800 interviews and 400-500 acceptances. Jeff is a great school. I get an impression that there is a lot of movement on their waitlist. The dean was great and said she'll be very upfront and honest about waitlisting and such.

If you think you might like the school, check it out. I don't believe in "interviewing for a waitlist spot" but even if you are there is still a really good chance you'll get in in the end. Good luck!

another important point is that the clinical involvement in M1 is a bit delayed. Students are not immediately immersed/required to work in a hospital setting inless they seek it out themselves.

They really seem to stress altruism and molding their students to have a sense of "service to the public" but also I was really impressed with thier buildings and locations (all were furnished very nicely and the lecture halls were very up to date)

Research is their downfall. Also, as you mentioned they have about 250 people per class which is either a pro (more people to mingle with) or a con (too big, etc)

hope it helps!

I'm a current MS2 at Jefferson. Some of the information that people have said here is wrong, which is a little distressing to me (because this means that the tour guide/student interviewer didn't do a good job....grrr.)

Clinical involvement is NOT delayed at Jefferson. This is flat-out wrong. Inpatient/hospitalist experience may be a bit delayed as a first year, but clinical experience in general is not. As a first year, you must do 4 clinical visits. Mostly these are outpatient, but many people choose to follow neonatalogists (= seeing premature babies in the neonatal unit), work in the ER, or stand in the OR to watch a surgery to fulfill this requirement. I did many of my visits at a community HIV clinic.

As a 2nd year, you must do 4 "affiliates" visits, where you go out to the hospital, see a patient by yourself, do a physical exam (by yourself), report to an attending, and then write up a History/Physical on it.

Everyone goes out to JeffHOPE at least once as a first year. You'll see homeless shelter patients in an outpatient setting. It's a great clinical experience.

So, basically, MS1 = lots of outpatient clinical experience. MS2 = more inpatient clinical experience.

Jefferson focuses on producing doctors that are either clinicians or do a lot of academic medicine. (Academic medicine is practiced by people who see patients, and then do clinically-oriented research; ie public health policy, community health research, medical education research, epidemiology, etc.) Jefferson doesn't do much bench/lab research, though.

Jefferson doesn't interview for the waitlist. People have been accepted (flat-out accepted, not accepted off a waitlist) after interviewing in March. That's not unusual at all.

Good luck! Hope that helps, and I hope I've clarified some misinformation about the school!

Also, as you mentioned they have about 250 people per class which is either a pro (more people to mingle with) or a con (too big, etc)

hope it helps!

P.S. I really like having 250 people per class. If our class size was any smaller, we would never be able to do JeffHOPE as often as we do - the time commitment would be too big and no one would participate. I've never felt lost in the crowd, or "just another face." Everyone's really friendly. Plus, having such a big class almost guarantees that you'll find a group of friends that you really like and that you'll find your niche. That might not always happen in a smaller class.

If you guys say Jefferson's downfall is research, why do they get so much NIH money? They are #2 in the nation in recieving NIH grants in ortho and they are competitive for NIH grants in derm. So, how can that be? Enlighten me please.

This is flat-out wrong. Inpatient/hospitalist experience may be a bit delayed as a first year, but clinical experience in general is not...

coming from an M2 you must have more information from me, but when visited and interviewed, both the M1 students that I talked to and my faculty interviewer mentioned that a downfall to Jefferson is that in the year M1 there is not as much inpatient/hospital contact. Yes you are required to visit the hospital 4 times...but even once a month is too little for my personal tastes.

Not saying that there arent' good clinical experiences there: jefferson produces the best clinicians (if not the very best pretty darn close) but there is a lack of immediate involvement during M1 inless you go seek it yourself. Ie they will not hold your hand to give you clinical experience as a requirement as an m1, but it's certainly available. This struck me as strange, because most of the other school's I've visited are big on getting students in that setting as soon as possible (USC, Miami, etc)

coming from an M2 you must have more information from me, but when visited and interviewed, both the M1 students that I talked to and my faculty interviewer mentioned that a downfall to Jefferson is that in the year M1 there is not as much inpatient/hospital contact.

Yes you are required to visit the hospital 4 times...but even once a month is too little for my personal tastes.

I felt that way, too, last year as an MSI. "4 visits doesn't seem like a lot...." But each visit for me lasted for an average of 4 hours.

Keep in mind that you have to do this while balancing lab, classes, studying, grocery shopping, sleeping, etc. Also remember that your daily class schedule is very, very different from undergrad. I tried to schedule preceptor/shadowing visits on my own time, above and beyond what I had to do for school. It's nearly impossible, because your class schedule is so filled that you don't have time for that much extra clinical experience. Trust me, you'll get your fill as a third year.

If you have the energy and the stamina to go on a 4 hour clinical visit more than once a month...then you're a freak of nature. :p Actually, in all seriousness, if I heard an MS1 planning on doing a clinical visit once a month, I'd strongly discourage them. They're setting themselves up for burnout or failure. Clinical visits do eat up a LOT of time and energy. If you did a visit once a month, you'd never have a free weekend, actually. That'd be tough.

Hanging around a hospital as a first year is less fun than you think it would be. You don't know anything, you don't know what to ask the patient, the attending KNOWS that you don't know anything so he can't ask you anything interesting, you don't know how to perform a physical exam, you don't know what to look for, etc. And it is incredibly awkward to deal with hospitalized patients as a med student. (It's different than when you volunteered in college. Patients expect actual knowledge from a person in a white coat, whereas they know that the candystriper is just...there to deliver flowers and whatnot.)

It's much easier, as an MS1, to interact with patients in an outpatient setting. Your tour guide and interviewer either didn't know this or didn't remember this. I can describe it for you in better detail from my own personal experience, if you like, but this post is getting kind of long as it is....

Not saying that there arent' good clinical experiences there: jefferson produces the best clinicians (if not the very best pretty darn close) but there is a lack of immediate involvement during M1 inless you go seek it yourself. Ie they will not hold your hand to give you clinical experience as a requirement as an m1, but it's certainly available. This struck me as strange, because most of the other school's I've visited are big on getting students in that setting as soon as possible (USC, Miami, etc)
Just so we're clear..."clinical experiences" do NOT refer just to inpatient stuff. Outpatient stuff is a very important part of what you will do as a med student, and might be what you choose to do as a doctor. I think that outpatient stuff is a VASTLY better teaching tool than inpatient experience, to be honest. It's better to learn how to calculate a respiratory rate on a person who is alert, clothed, and fairly healthy, than on someone who is supine, intubated, and suffering from CHF/COPD. To be honest, I don't understand why a med school would throw 1st years into mostly inpatient settings, unless they're not affiliated with very good outpatient clinics.

I don't know what the attraction is at USC or Miami. Looking at their websites, I don't see how their curriculum differs much from Jefferson.

Unless...are you including clinical skills sessions during "clinical experiences."? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure. Clinical skills sessions, with standardized patients, occur once a month or something. These are supposed to help you, so that you don't look like a total klutz the first time you lay hands on a patient. (They don't help - I still looked like a weird pervert when I tried to find a woman's PMI, which is normally under the left breast. And I'm a girl.)

If they "held your hand" to give you clinical experience, they know that that would create more work and more stress for the students. As an MS2, we have hospital visits once a month. Between classes, extracurriculars, small group, problem solving sessions, and grand rounds, even those monthly visits are killing me. They eat up an entire afternoon. Throw in the monthly, 4.5-hour long sessions at the clinical skills center with standardized patients (to practice physical exam skills) and then add in the fact that we have an exam every 3 weeks, and it takes a lot out of you. [Oh, and by "extracurriculars" I don't mean the tennis club or whatever. I help organize youth outreach to homeless teens in North Philadelphia. I love it, but it will make you want to pull your hair out sometimes.]

Whew. That's a long post.

But you raise good points, and things that are important to a lot of pre-MS1s. Does all this make sense? I hope so....

coming from an M2 you must have more information from me, but when visited and interviewed, both the M1 students that I talked to and my faculty interviewer mentioned that a downfall to Jefferson is that in the year M1 there is not as much inpatient/hospital contact. Yes you are required to visit the hospital 4 times...but even once a month is too little for my personal tastes.

Actually, from looking at your other posts, it looks like you've spent time as an EMT. So maybe that's why you're really focused on hospital/inpatient experience. I see - now I get it.

Well, might as well be honest and confess my own embarrassing experiences. Like I said, 1st year offers a lot of outpatient experiences, which is often depicted as "easier" than inpatient. I wish. One of my first patients that I saw in an outpatient clinic was this guy, who was 47 years old. When I asked him why he was there, he said very bluntly, "I found out last week, on the day before Christmas, that I have AIDS. I'm afraid that they'll reject my green card application because of that."

As a naive little MS1, what was I supposed to say to that? "I'm really sorry." "This must be so hard for you." Yeah, that'll help. That's what I did say, because there was nothing else TO say. He just said, "Thanks, but tell it to INS." Yeah, that's the kind of spiritual boost that every med student needs. It was definitely a weird and awkward mix of survivor's guilt (still don't know why I felt that way), embarrassment, pity, compassion, sadness...everything. Continuing that patient interview (which I had to do) was almost an indecency. It's like, "Here, bare your soul to the med student who's young enough to be your daughter, and then let her pick away at it so it bleeds a little more."

Inpatient doesn't get more interesting or better. I had a patient who had CHF and pneumonia. He kept falling asleep, but I had to keep prodding him awake so that I could get his medical history. Poor man probably wanted to kick me out, just so he could get some sleep, but he was nice enough not to.

Sigh. And don't get me started on what happened the first time I tried to take a blood pressure by myself.

haha, I would attempt to quote you but your post is way too long...

Which illustrates my first observation about Jeff students:they are amazing people. Seriously that post must have taken a lot of time and effort and anyone reading this should appreciate that.

With that being said...

personally I've always been the type to have a busy life. I do a lot of things, and consequently I have not as much free time as everyone else. I agree that practicing patient skills on a nice model patient is nice, but (sorry that miami and usc's websites are so crappy) those other schools throw ou right in helping out at their clinics. I work in the lab for 16 hours a week, on top of working 12 hrs at a candy store, being part of (and used to be) in charge of the club soccer team, TA-ing for a public health class, and still going to class and enjoying life, bars, and video games. Becuase of this, I don't think that I could get burned out, but I recognize the need for warning.

Jeff is a great school, but I still believe that it's M1's don't have as early a inpatient clinical exposure as other schools. Lots of great perks, but that and the lack of reserach stood out to me...

then again I might end up going there afterall... :) depends where my gf and I get in

haha, I would attempt to quote you but your post is way too long...

Which illustrates my first observation about Jeff students:they are amazing people. Seriously that post must have taken a lot of time and effort and anyone reading this should appreciate that.

With that being said...

personally I've always been the type to have a busy life. I do a lot of things, and consequently I have not as much free time as everyone else. I agree that practicing patient skills on a nice model patient is nice, but (sorry that miami and usc's websites are so crappy) those other schools throw ou right in helping out at their clinics. I work in the lab for 16 hours a week, on top of working 12 hrs at a candy store, being part of (and used to be) in charge of the club soccer team, TA-ing for a public health class, and still going to class and enjoying life, bars, and video games. Becuase of this, I don't think that I could get burned out, but I recognize the need for warning.

Jeff is a great school, but I still believe that it's M1's don't have as early a inpatient clinical exposure as other schools. Lots of great perks, but that and the lack of reserach stood out to me...

then again I might end up going there afterall... :) depends where my gf and I get in

So, at other schools, when they send you in to help at the clinics, are you "shadowing" or actually doing stuff? I hate shadowing. You feel so incredibly stupid standing there - kind of like the doctor is the gallant knight and you're just the dumb oaf who follows him around everywhere. "Don't mind me, I'll just stand here and watch the doctor perform a pelvic exam on you."

I don't know...sending in first year med students to work in clinics and take care of (paying) patients is kind of a disservice to the patient. Like I illustrated with the story about the AIDS patient...he just found out that he has AIDS. Did he really need a 1st year med student to ask him how frequently he receives unprotected anal intercourse? And I'm sure that I was sooooooo smooth and professional when I asked him that question. I'm sure that it wasn't awkward for him or anything. Did I mention that he was old enough to be my father? And that I look so young that people routinely ask me which high school I go to? Yeah.

I'm really sorry to hear you say that you like having a busy life and being active. The 1st two years of med school will be torture. Med students are "busy," but they're busy studying (i.e. sitting and not moving unless they have to go to the bathroom.) 5 hours/day of studying is normal. A little less the week after an exam, and much more the week of an exam.

If you do end up going to Jeff, don't worry about the perceived lack of clinical experience. Here's a relevant thread in allo about this issue: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=365607
Please read PandaBear's response. I really respect his opinons, and seeing that he's a PGY-1, knows much more than you or I.

Good luck!

Why thank you for the good luck!

In terms of answering your clinical care question, no these aren't PAYING patients. However, at Miami and USC both there is such an overwhelming abundance of patients that go to the free clinics, that they'd love to recieve care from anyone regardless of how awkward or bad they are!

USC's teaching hospital is basically in downtown LA, and between the crazy things that you see there, there simply isn't enough staffing to take care of all the patients. So the M1's get to do whatever they can...

In terms of Miami, as of the second week, students are already immunizing, etc in their clinics, and since it is in downtown miami (which isn't much better off than LA) and their hospital complex is SO big, the number of patients that go through there is simply too much for docs, interns, residents, etc to handle. So the M1's get to take histories and administer certain drugs and prescriptions (obviously under a doctors supervision) all on their own that early!

in regard to the busy response, I'm not at all sorry I get to do as much as I do. It's fun! Though I'm naturally worried about medical school, I'm not stressed nor worried about the amount of work required. I'm more worried about fitting it in and having a life on top of it. I love being able to become a doctor, but there are so many things in life I cherish and I know that I'll be able to continue them all under any demanding schedule (albeit with sacrifices for sure)

Hope to see you at jeff, since it's a great school.

btw the post to the other thread was very helpful, and I too honor panda's responces as he seems pretty on top of it...