PittMedicine

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2005
201
0
CA
Status
Pre-Medical
I recieved a 12, 11, 7 (30) on my MCATs and have a 4.0 GPA. I want to apply to Jefferson, but according to MSAR, they have cutoffs of 8 in each section. Their range listed NO ONE with below an 8. Is there anyway around this? That really bites.
 

tigress

queen of the jungle
10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
3,373
6
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We're not going to be able to answer you. Call the admissions office on Monday, or try contacting the dean of admissions.
 

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2005
798
2
Status
i know jefferson takes ppl with high mcats.

they dont look too much on gpa.

jsut to elaborate, my cousin got in a couple of years ago. graduated out of cornell with a 3.6. but he had a 34 mcat.
 

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
3,130
3
36
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
theunderdog said:
i know jefferson takes ppl with high mcats.

they dont look too much on gpa.

jsut to elaborate, my cousin got in a couple of years ago. graduated out of cornell with a 3.6. but he had a 34 mcat.
Since when is a 3.6 a bad GPA?
 

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2005
798
2
Status
indo said:
They look at GPA a lot.
yeah they do. but the msar's profile on jefferson doesn't seem to think so.
 

indo

Feed me a stray cat
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2002
7,270
12
www.mcw.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
theunderdog said:
yeah they do. but the msar's profile on jefferson doesn't seem to think so.
but my 1 example of arbitrary anecdotal evidence says they do.
 

pallcare

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2005
84
0
Status
Pre-Medical
BOBODR said:
and they average your mcat if you take multiple times....
speaking of Jefferson, I submitted my secondary in late July and still havent heard from them. My stats are on avg w/ their class and I'm a PA resident. Anyone else in a similar situation w. Jefferson?
 

jebus

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2005
2,526
6
Status
pallcare said:
speaking of Jefferson, I submitted my secondary in late July and still havent heard from them. My stats are on avg w/ their class and I'm a PA resident. Anyone else in a similar situation w. Jefferson?
Call them up tomorrow and see what the story is. And be nice!
 

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2005
798
2
Status
BOBODR said:
and they average your mcat if you take multiple times....
actually, they do NOT average MCATs. i emailed the associate dean about this. because i really need them to average my scores... but.... no love for me...
 

Will Ferrell

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
778
2
Status
It's real messed up how they sent secondaries to a few applicants with <8s and then rejected then after they cashed the fee check. This is assuming those profiles on mdapplicants.com are real and those cut-offs aren't new.
 

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2005
798
2
Status
Will Ferrell said:
It's real messed up how they sent secondaries to a few applicants with <8s and then rejected then after they cashed the fee check. This is assuming those profiles on mdapplicants.com are real and those cut-offs aren't new.
they screen?

i have less than 8s and i still got a secondary though...
 

Will Ferrell

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
778
2
Status
theunderdog said:
they screen?

i have less than 8s and i still got a secondary though...
You should ask them about their cutoffs before they jack your 80 bucks.
 

BOBODR

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2004
966
0
winston salem, carolina
Status
theunderdog said:
actually, they do NOT average MCATs. i emailed the associate dean about this. because i really need them to average my scores... but.... no love for me...
look at my PM. Everyone can look in the MSAR and see they average MCAT scores. Also I talked to admissions last yr and they do average them , unless they changed it for this yr.
 

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2005
798
2
Status
man this sucks. i got a 19 the first time i took the mcat.

i wonder what my average is going to be... ****..
 

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
8,505
4
37
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
pallcare said:
speaking of Jefferson, I submitted my secondary in late July and still havent heard from them. My stats are on avg w/ their class and I'm a PA resident. Anyone else in a similar situation w. Jefferson?

I think they give preference to Delaware residents but not PA residents
 

beponychick

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2003
1,503
0
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
pallcare said:
speaking of Jefferson, I submitted my secondary in late July and still havent heard from them. My stats are on avg w/ their class and I'm a PA resident. Anyone else in a similar situation w. Jefferson?

I havent heard anything either. My stats are a bit below their averages (Not much though)... and I have at least an 8 in every section. Complete since July. :(
 

minnie2240

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2005
197
0
Status
Pre-Medical
My stats are above their average and I havent heard anything since September. When I called to try and schedule my interview around my Drexel interview they said I was still being reviewed which I find hard to believe. So I don't know whats the deal with them?
 

Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2005
3,039
21
Between Michigan & Massachusetts
Status
Medical Student
PittMedicine said:
I recieved a 12, 11, 7 (30) on my MCATs and have a 4.0 GPA. I want to apply to Jefferson, but according to MSAR, they have cutoffs of 8 in each section. Their range listed NO ONE with below an 8. Is there anyway around this? That really bites.
Yes, we spoke to the Dean of Admissions at the end of October at length. They apply strict cutoffs - no subsection score less than an 8, and they average your scores if taken more than once. She said they have no exceptions. (Which I find hard to believe, but gotta take her word for it at that point.)