Jefferson Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Supadupafly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, did anyone happen to pick up some descent looking Jefferson Apparel during the second look weekend or since? I was in there one time and all I could find was crappy leftover stuff. I was just looking for some stuff that says "JMC" of "Jefferson".

does anyone know the daily schedule for block 1? are 3 days a week 9-5 and 2 days a week 9-1 or 2? not sure...

also does anyone have leases that end in late may. this sucks considering M1 doesnt end until june i think. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
did you guys order your white coat ceremony?

on the order form, it seems like girls can order men's jackets...
the women's jackets and men's jackets look different???

i'm so confused...

love the "descent" typo above...as I've heard Jeff Is known for having a large number of legacies...won't keep me from applying there though, as it's a great school! congrats to all going in 2008

Wish I was a legacy. Maybe then my parents could have afforded hooked on phonics. Never could spell for S. How many people are you guys inviting to the White Coat thing? From what I've heard, its out doors and you can invite as many as you want.

I have five to six people coming, but thats what happens when your parents divorce. Is there a deadline for giving them your white coat info, I completely spaced on that. I was also wondering about classes and hours, anyone have info? I may be doing some traveling on the weekends my first few months so I have to get a plan started.

I would get on the white coat thing quick. I think the deadline was June 2nd or so. You could call the book store and give them your white coat info directly (thats where you drop it off). As far as the class thing, I think we'll have to wait until Aug to get the first block agenda.

you can also email ms. haas with your white coat order info...
her email is on the form
that's what i did
that way she'll get it faster than snail mail

just realized that there is no ikea in philly
where is everyone buying their furniture?
i'm going to live in orlowitz and i think it is unfurnished
what a dilemma

There is an Ikea about 20 min or so outside of center city. It's in Plymouth Meeting north of the city. Go west on 76 till you come to the 476 interchange and take 476 north. You'll pass the Ikea on you left...really can't miss it. I guess this doesn't help much if you don't have a vehicle, but if you do, it's easy to get there. Hope this helps.

Anybody know when the due date for the first payment was? and how much it is supposed to be? I don't remember ever getting a notice and it's getting strangely late. thanks!

ps, who's in martin?! it's going to be a party!

has anyone moved into the dorms yet?

i was wondering where you pick up the key to the room...
and also, do you get internet connection in the room?
i'm moving into orlowitz next weekend...
i don't want to be stuck the whole weekend without internet access..

Members don't see this ad :)
bigsdlc722 said:
Anybody know when the due date for the first payment was? and how much it is supposed to be? I don't remember ever getting a notice and it's getting strangely late. thanks!

The first tuition payment is due at registration. Has anyone gotten a tuition bill yet? It IS getting late....

They told me you just go to the main desk of your building when you are ready to move in and they'll give you your key and a new tenant packet or something. They said you can check-in any time or day of the week.

From what I understand, if you have a laptop, you have to buy the wireless internet card at the bookstore. You can install it yourself, but IT will do it for you.

dramaqueen said:
has anyone moved into the dorms yet?

i was wondering where you pick up the key to the room...
and also, do you get internet connection in the room?
i'm moving into orlowitz next weekend...
i don't want to be stuck the whole weekend without internet access..

Does anyone know anything about the book situation? I was looking for that Basic Life Support book we need for CPR and the bookstore doesn't have any books. Unless it's a system glich. Do we get a list of books during orientation? do we have to wait for the first day of block?

Ok, glad to see that I am not the only one bringing a bunch of people to the White Coat. I was worried because the form said 4 people max, but I have parents, a sister, girlfriend, grandmothers, friends, and relatives who would kill me if I didn't invite them. It's outside, really? Cool.

For those of you who are bringing more than the 3-4 people that Jefferson asked you to limit, did you send in your form saying that you'll be bringing 6,7,8, etc, amount of people? Are they coming to the breakfast, white coat thing, and lunch or just the white coat?

I just put a few of them on my form and will be bringing more. Haha.

Ok, time for a really really dorky question: here goes, ahem...

Does anyone know if the internet we are provided in Orlowitz and Barringer can accomodate X-box live?

<<covers head and runs away >> :love:

hi everyone,

i'm applying to jefferson this year and honestly, jefferson is one of my top choices if not the top

anyway...for your 2ndary applications last year, what did everyone write if anything for the "additional information" part of the online application?

I also noticed that the version that you mail in which is available on their website as a PDF does not include a space for "additional information"

All I put in that part online was that my mother has been working at jeff for >5 years. I didn't write more b/c I assumed that jeff did not want an essay because if they did, they would have included it in the paper version of the application.

any help or opinions or advice is greatly appreciated!

thanks

dmk724 said:
The first tuition payment is due at registration. Has anyone gotten a tuition bill yet? It IS getting late....

when I went to talk toa financial aid counselor a week and a half ago, she told me the tuition bill will be coming the "next week", which means this week-the week of the 18th. nothing yet, though.

I just received my financial aid package (late because of being waitlisted). The aid amount that they have me receiving is less than the cost of attendance. However, it is only a combination of staffords and institutional aid. Does anyone know what I have to do in order to get the maximum amount (as it is, it only leaves me ~$200 a month for food and things after rent and utilities)? Do I have to reapply if I want to receive aid from the alternative loan program or can I just tell the financial aid office?

They also have me listed as living on-campus. I am actually living off campus, so my rent and things are based on a 12-month interval, and I was under the impression that on-campus was based on rent for 10 months. So I guess what I am asking is if there is a difference for the cost of attendance for living on-campus versus living off-campus.

I can't believe how quickly this summer snuck by, but I am looking forward to starting. Although, I am sure I will be eating those words once I have my nose buried in a book for a few hours at a time.

hi everyone,

i'm applying to jefferson this year and honestly, jefferson is one of my top choices if not the top

anyway...for your 2ndary applications last year, what did everyone write if anything for the "additional information" part of the online application?

I also noticed that the version that you mail in which is available on their website as a PDF does not include a space for "additional information"

All I put in that part online was that my mother has been working at jeff for >5 years. I didn't write more b/c I assumed that jeff did not want an essay because if they did, they would have included it in the paper version of the application.

thanks

yancantcook said:

I never put any additional information. I just printed out the PDF version they sent via email and filled it in. I really don't think they are looking for another essay.

yancantcook said:
hi everyone,

thanks

i didnt write a single thing in that section and i still got in
i think its for maybe a couple of sentences that you want to add about your application or something
i definitely wouldn't stress out about it

anyone know if we can hand in our pre-matriculation health form later on in the month?
my insurance starts in august
so i was hoping to wait til then to see a doctor
the doctor who has my immunization records moved somewhere
and i can't find him
so i'm gonna have to shell out lots of money to get a blood tests to prove my immunizations
i'm trying to save as much money as possible!!

dramaqueen said:
anyone know if we can hand in our pre-matriculation health form later on in the month?
my insurance starts in august
so i was hoping to wait til then to see a doctor
the doctor who has my immunization records moved somewhere
and i can't find him
so i'm gonna have to shell out lots of money to get a blood tests to prove my immunizations
i'm trying to save as much money as possible!!

OMIGOD, i just got into jeff today off the waitlist!!! i'll see you guys soon! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

can you really not know if you got off the waitlist until the week before orientation??

I'm applying now and it is really scary knowing that it can be the end of july and still not know where i'm going...

yancantcook said:
can you really not know if you got off the waitlist until the week before orientation??

I'm applying now and it is really scary knowing that it can be the end of july and still not know where i'm going...

yep it sure happens!

now i have to scramble to find an apartment... yikes. anyone have suggestions for doing this quickly? my boyfriend is moving with me too.... any help would be appreciated; i really don't know philly at all!

I went last week and got an apartment, DONT BE SCARED OFF BY THE HUGE PRICE TAGS FOR SOME PLACES. I know they have housing through Jefferson but the only problem with that is couples are in a 1 bedroom and they are sorta small. I ended up getting a place at the Ben Franklin House, its really expensive compared to what I am used to but there was little to chose from that had everything I was looking for. There is also the Victory building, which looked nice, and some condos and other building within walking distance.

IceKid said:
yep it sure happens!

now i have to scramble to find an apartment... yikes. anyone have suggestions for doing this quickly? my boyfriend is moving with me too.... any help would be appreciated; i really don't know philly at all!

I am living off campus, but I did the footwork for finding an apartment back in may. I have a studio that is about 10 blocks away (a bit of a walk, but definitely manageable).

A good place to start is http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/?inc=classifieds&type=1

dramaqueen said:
congrats icekid!!!
guess you won't be needing to bump the stony brook thread anymore...
lets be arrogant and think of it as their loss!!! :)

there is a whole list of off-campus housing on the jeff website
http://www.jefferson.edu/housing/home/offcampus.cfm

haha absolutely- we're ending up at the same school anyway! who needs stony brook?? :)

hey guys, what day is the white coat ceremony? i want to let my fam know so they can plan... thanks! :)

The white coat ceremony is Friday, August 6th. There's a First Year Family Welcome at 8am and the ceremony starts at 9:30. Then there's a luncheon at 11:30.

What is everyone wearing to registration? My mother insists I dress up but it's just registation; a jeans kinda event. right?

Acc333 said:
The white coat ceremony is Friday, August 6th. There's a First Year Family Welcome at 8am and the ceremony starts at 9:30. Then there's a luncheon at 11:30.

What is everyone wearing to registration? My mother insists I dress up but it's just registation; a jeans kinda event. right?

thanks Acc! yeah I would assume registration isn't a dressy event...

Unless told otherwise, I will be dressing very casually during orientation week. In other words, I will most likely be wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

I'm just planning on going causual (except for the White Coat thing, of course).

Are you guys going to any of those activities the FAC has planned? I'm probably gonna go to a few. And how about that trip to Atlantic City? I don't think I'll do that but if I somehow did, there is no way I would let my parents ever find out. I can just imagine their reaction if they heard I was hanging out at Atlantic City as soon as I got to school.

I'm just really excited about starting, see you guys around!

SJBX said:
Are you guys going to any of those activities the FAC has planned? I'm probably gonna go to a few.

What activities? I never got any notification about the FAC activities, just the letter that was sent saying they would notify us.

It was an email. If you went to all of the events that they have planned for us, you would be dead by Friday.

Hi! I am a former avid SDNer and finally got around to visiting the ol' site again. Just wanted to drop a line and congratulate you guys on your acceptance to a wonderful school.

I personally believe that this school exemplifies the phrase "work hard, play hard." You will meet some amazing people and do some pretty cool stuff. I know this sounds kind of ambiguous, but you'll see what I mean.

Since I'm officially in "lazy" mode for the summer, feel free to ask whatever questions you have. I'll do my best to answer them.

Cindy

p.s. Have you guys found out who your big sibs are?

PRINCESCKNY I was wondering what the work load is going to be like? How the test schedule is? I was wondering what a typical student does as far as going to class and studying? What does the avg Jefferson student have for a schedule? I have taken one medical school class before (Pharmacology) with the medical students, studied one night and scored the mean of 77. What can I expect? Sorry for all the questions but I am a little nervous.

Mouseman said:
It was an email. If you went to all of the events that they have planned for us, you would be dead by Friday.

hmm, anyone still have the email that you could fwd to me? i'd love to see what kind of fun we're going to be having :p

IceKid said:
hmm, anyone still have the email that you could fwd to me? i'd love to see what kind of fun we're going to be having :p

Ditto. I never received said email and I'm always game for a little fun.

Here is the e-mail. I thought my undergrad school had a lot planned when I was a freshman, but Jefferson is crushing them in terms of activities planned.

SATURDAY, July 31

Happy Hour at Fad? 6:00-9:00 PM, 15th and Locust Streets
An event designed especially for students that live off-campus. Come and bring significant others, friends, etc. Meet other Jefferson students before orientation begins.

SUNDAY, AUGUST 1

Orientation Kick-Off BBQ with The Histones, 2:00 PM, Scott Plaza
This is your class?s first chance to be together in the same place all at once and it involves free food and performances by Jefferson?s all male a cappella group, The Histones-what could be better? (Rain Location - Jefferson Alumni Hall)

Tour De Philly, 4:00 PM
Members of the FAC will point out a few of the neighborhood and campus essentials for your first week at Jefferson. For instance, your tour will swing by Whole Foods and Superfresh, two convenient grocery stores often utilized by Jefferson students. Tours leave from Scott Plaza following the Picnic. Wear comfortable walking shoes!!!

Doc Watson?s Pub, 6:00 PM, 216 S. 11th Street (across from Scott Plaza)
Join fellow classmates and FAC members at Jefferson?s local bar for food and drink specials! $1 domestic drafts, half price wings, French fries, mozzarella sticks, and nachos. Bring cash.

MONDAY, AUGUST 2

Water Ice Social, 4:00 PM, Scott Plaza
Don?t miss this opportunity to mix and mingle over some water ice served up by some of the faces who later will make frequent appearances behind the podium in the lecture hall--that's right, water ice dished up by your professors and other Jefferson notables.

Dave & Buster?s, 8:00 PM, 325 N Columbus Blvd, Pier 19N
Meet in Scott Plaza at 8:00 PM to head over. Bring cash.

TUESDAY, AUGUST 3

Movie Night, 7:00 PM, Solis-Cohen Auditorium, Jefferson Alumni Hall
Join the FAC for a relaxed night watching Gross Anatomy with popcorn and refreshments.

McGillin?s, 9:00 PM, 1310 Drury Lane
Get your first taste of the Jefferson Tuesday night hangout. A chill atmosphere and reasonably priced drinks made even better by additional food and drink specials. Head over early to claim the upstairs bar as the Class of 2008 hangout of the night. Meet in Scott Plaza at 9 to walk to McGillin's. Bring cash.

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 4

The M?tter Museum
Join the FAC at either 10 AM or 1 PM (depending on when you are scheduled for CPR Training) to enjoy this museum?s collections of over 20,000 objects, including fluid-preserved anatomical and pathological specimens, medical instruments, anatomical and pathological models, items of memorabilia of famous scientists and physicians, and medical illustrations. Bring $5.00 for admission.

LGBT Event 5:00-7:00 PM
An informal off-campus event designed for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered, and Allied Students to answer any questions about the Jefferson Lambda Alliance and LGBT life at Jefferson and in Philadelphia. Refreshments will be provided. Email [email protected] for directions and further information.

Arts in the Park, 7:00 PM, Rittenhouse Square
Join us for a walk up to Rittenhouse Square to enjoy a free concert in the park. The Philadelphia Chamber Orchestra and guests will provide a night of outdoor entertainment. Meet in Scott Plaza at 6:45 PM to walk up Walnut Street to the park.

Loie?s, 8:00 PM, 128 S. 19th Street
Join the FAC at a popular bar in the Rittenhouse area after Arts in the Park for drink specials! Bring cash.

THURSDAY, AUGUST 5

Coffeehouse, 8:00 PM, McClellan Hall, College Building
Got a hidden Talent? Show it off!! Open mic, musical acts, and anything else is welcome. Look for cameo performances by The Histones as well! Email [email protected] to get a spot on the schedule, or look for the sign-up table during orientation. Free coffee and doughnuts!!!

Club 27, 9:00 PM, 27 Bank Street
Join the FAC for a night of dancing at one of the clubs in Philly?s Olde City area. No cover 9-11 ($5 after 11 PM); drink specials include: $3 Miller Lite, $3 Well drinks, $6 Apple and Watermelon Martinis. Meet in Scott Plaza at 8:45 to walk over together. Bring cash.

FRIDAY, AUGUST 6

Dinner with the FAC, 5:00 PM
If you don?t have reservations with ?the folks,? the FAC invites you to have dinner with us! We?ll have groups going to various restaurants in the area. RSVP to [email protected] by Wednesday, August 4th at Noon to let us know if you?d like to go. We?ll leave from Scott Plaza at 5:00 PM. Bring cash for food and drinks.

First Friday in Philadelphia, 7 :00 PM
Olde City?s galleries open to the public the first Friday of every month. The perfect way to experience the art, wine, and food-for free! Meet in Scott Plaza at 7 to head over to Olde City.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 7

National Constitution Center, 1:00 PM, 525 Arch Street
The National Constitution Center is an independent, non-partisan, and non-profit organization dedicated to increasing public understanding of the United States Constitution. Join us for a tour of the Center! Meet in Scott Plaza at 1 to head over. Bring $6.00 for admission.

Pub Crawl, 8:00 PM
The FAC has arranged some incredible specials for this fun event. Come to Scott Plaza to get a map and the rundown of specials. This is a tradition NOT TO BE MISSED. Bring cash.

SUNDAY, AUGUST 8

Philadelphia Museum of Art, 12:00 Noon, Benjamin Franklin Parkway and 26th Street
Join the FAC to explore the city?s great art exhibits-and the steps where Rocky was filmed! Meet in Scott Plaza at noon to head over to the museum.

MONDAY, AUGUST 9

Scoop De Ville, 7:00 PM, 107 South 18th Street
Meet us in Scott Plaza to head up to this delicious ice cream parlor on Rittenhouse Square for a tasty treat. Bring cash.

TUESDAY, AUGUST 10

Quizzo at Fergie?s, 8:00 PM, 1214 Sansom Street
Meet at the Ox and head over to Fergie?s to show off your smarts. Bring cash.

The Boston Pops, 8:00 PM, The Mann Center for the Performing Arts
Keith Lockhart, a Philadelphia favorite, returns with The Boston Pops for what is sure to be another sell-out evening as they play tribute to the Great White Way in an evening of the best from Broadway, starring Tony Award winner Faith Prince. Lawn tickets are $20. Contact [email protected] for info or look for the sign-up table during orientation to buy a ticket. Bring $6 for the bus.

THURSDAY, AUGUST 12

Phillies vs. Rockies, 6:15 PM
Meet on Scott Plaza at 6:15 PM to grab the subway to the ballpark! Tickets are $15. Contact [email protected] or look for the sign-up table during orientation week to buy a ticket. Bring $2.60 for the subway.

FRIDAY, AUGUST 13

McFadden?s, 9:00 PM, 461 N. 3rd Street
Meet in Scott Plaza before heading over to this popular spot for a night of fun and charity-proceeds will benefit JeffHOPE. Bring cash.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 14

Atlantic City, various times
Join FAC members and your classmates for a fun trip to Atlantic City. Enjoy the casinos or walk along the boardwalk. Bring cash.

Don't know my big sib stuff yet. I started to move some stuff in, I hope to get my ID soon (Monday?), they have to keep typing the code in so I can get into my building.

thanks SJBX... looks like it should be fun!

Thanks... there certainly is alot to do over the next 2 weeks. I just wish the Phillies game scheduled was against the Mets.