1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Jefferson One Year MPH or wait the year out....

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by confusedsunflow, Jul 22, 2011.

1. confusedsunflow

:)Hello gang. My name is supposed to be confusedsunflower. I am sleepy.

Here is the deal! I am married and my husband is in medical school. I wanted to go to dental school/mph but had to work. When I first applied to mph programs, I did not have any work experience. Now that I have almost 3 years of work experience I got into an MPH program. Now that my husband is almost done with all of his loans and all the loans from dental school (I am applying for this cycle) I am not sure if I should do the accelerated MPH. Keeping it real, I have felt behind by some of my other friends who are in med/dental school and feel like this is the boost/opportunity that I need. On the other hand is a boost in my confidence worth another 50k. I would also have to work a full time job. I would not even be able to use the mph until after I graduate and that is if I do not specialize (long shot :). I always wanted the MPH I am just wondering if I am being whiney about all the sacrifice I will have to put in to get it or should I just wait the year out and save money.

Thanks. I love u guys on here :D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. seunglim87

Pre-Dental
    apology for my ignorance, but what is MPH?

4. hamburger90

Pre-Dental
    miles per hour

5. Kanna15

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey confusedsunflow (I was confused spelling that....lol)

I am, or was, in almost exact same situation you are. I was also accepted into Jefferson's one year program for this Fall 2011. I guess it really depends. Do you plan to incorporate an MPH degree into your future career? I plan to go to medical school and eventually go into health policy/preventive medicine or something along those lines in the future. So from my perspective, shelling out the money for the MPH degree especially from a respectable institution like Jefferson seems worth it to me in the long run. However, I am single and will be 23 this August, so my financial burden is obviously nowhere close to yours. Everyone needs a boost of confidence, including I, so I would say do it if you plan to incorporate the MPH degree into your dental career in the future. If it's only for the sake of doing something, then I would think about it some more. I'm not sure if that help. Hope to see you in Fall!

6. Choob

Pre-Dental
    master of public health

7. confusedsunflow

Hi Kannah. I am also concerned about the fact that there is no concentration for the Jefferson MPH. What separates it from someone that has a BA/BS in public health if there is no concentration? I do plan to incorporate it I guess I just want to make sure that I am making the right decision. I will check back quicker next time. :)

8. Kanna15

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey there
    Yea I read some other things about that as well. Well I guess that is where the line draws. Their program seems to focus on recruiting future health professionals (dental, medicines, vet) more than people who are interested in MPH only. If I were to stop a at MPH only, I would not go to jefferson. I'd go somewhere else where they have a concentration. However, since I'm going into medicine and you are going to dental, it'll just help broaden my knowledge as a physician. Also, I believe the different between a BA and BS vs a general MPH concentration is that in the MPH you have to do clerkships, practicum, capstone etc. I assume you just take classes in the undergrad level. Regardless, the program is accredited by the CEPH so I do not think you'll be getting a subpar education. Most physicians who I meet that have an MPH say it has broadened their knowledge, but I do not think on a everyday basis they are worried about their specifric concentration. In fact, I think the director of CDC who is a MD/MPH has a general MPH degree. So does that help some more? PM me if you have more questions.

9. Kanna15

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Also found this forum link on general MPH: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=843078

Like I mentioned above, if you are looking for a job in specifically public health, then a concentration would be better but it seems like, like with anything, if you sell yourself on your resume it won't matter. The lade that interviewed me said you can take other classes that is geared towards a specific concentration. Jefferson should hire me for the support I am giving them lol...but I guess I know what you are feeling.

10. BobLoblawDDS

BobLoblawDDS Lost and confused
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm sorry, did you mean that you would need to work fulltime while in dental school?

That's simply not possible. Dent/med school is a fulltime commitment. You will be busy from 8-5. There's no real time for work, unless it's part-time after hours, and even then, you'll be too burned out to do so, or too busy studying. Unfortunately to finance such an education you need to turn to lines of credit, federal funding, parents, etc.