lmnop

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
any opinions? price? quality of education and clinical opportunities? competitive matching? thanks!

cammy1313

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
Encinitas, CA
Status
lmnop said:
any opinions? price? quality of education and clinical opportunities? competitive matching? thanks!
I vote for Tufts. I believe it has a better overall matching reputation. It is pricey though (about $42K per year) but don't know how that compares to Jefferson. I'm hoping my delayed decision at Tufts turns into an acceptance :)

W222

2K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
Status
I am a 1st year at Jeff right now and I am originally from the Boston area. I would say that in New England Tufts has a good reputation but I am not sure how they match up throughout the country. Jeff has a good reputation and great clinical teaching. I would say that both schools overall are almost equal, although Jeff has better clinical teaching and maybe Tufts is a little stronger in research areas. Tufts also has a great school of Public Health. It all comes down to where you want to go to school. Also, both schools are equally in tuition. Both are very expensive.

youngin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2004
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
W222 said:
I am a 1st year at Jeff right now and I am originally from the Boston area. I would say that in New England Tufts has a good reputation but I am not sure how they match up throughout the country. Jeff has a good reputation and great clinical teaching. I would say that both schools overall are almost equal, although Jeff has better clinical teaching and maybe Tufts is a little stronger in research areas. Tufts also has a great school of Public Health. It all comes down to where you want to go to school. Also, both schools are equally in tuition. Both are very expensive.
Just wondering, how happy are students at Jeff? A girl I know went to check it out and she said that they were all unhappy. But I thot it could just be exams or such but I am having some doubts because when I went to interview it seemed alright, but I only got to meet a few ppl.

W222

2K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Visit site
Status
YOUNGIN Overall the people at Jeff are very happy and friendly. The problems is that there are always people who love to complain about how bad med school sucks. I am not saying med school is "all fun-all the time" but the faculty and administration at Jeff definitely make it bearable for everyone. The girl you spoke with may have come around exam time and yes this could be the reason for the long faces. Overall I like the early clinical exposure, the ciricullum is well planned, and its an overall great place to learn. Professors are around if you need help and will answer any questions you may have.

irlandesa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
hey, as a soon-to-be grad of TUSM, perhaps I can shed some light on Tufts. There are some advantages to attending Tufts, such as the opportunity for combined degree programs (MD/MPH, MD/MBA, MD/MALD if you're interested). Boston is a really fun place to live (though not cheap, to put it mildly), and Tufts really excels at having a rich variety of clinical sites at which to rotate during 3rd year (incl. Eastern Maine and Baystate, and 1 on 1 Family Practice sites throughout most of New England). Pre-clinical instruction in Immunology, Pathophysiology, Pharmacology, Microbiology is overall excellent. Good patient exposure in Physical Diagnosis year II, with huge # of sites.

That said, Tufts has some serious issues which make me wish at times that I had chosen the "less prestigious" midwestern school I also got accepted to. During your clinical years, you will have to be VERY proactive to make sure you get the training you are paying for, and want to minimize mistreatment. The Deans are not particularly helpful or supportive in this regard, and I might add that one gives either no or crappy career advice. You can get a great clinical education at Tufts, but to have a uniformly good experience, you really have to actively seek out information from 3rd and 4th year students and rank your clinical site choices accordingly (we have a lottery system). For example, be sure to rank Faulkner (BWH residents) tops on your list for the Medicine clerkship, Baystate high for Peds and Ob/Gyn, avoid NEMC like the plague for Ob/Gyn if you can. Also, the # of Sub-I positions and Neuro rotation slots early in the 4th year are disturbingly low, the administration does not make it easy to do many away rotations during 4th year (limit of 3/8 blocks), and you are essentially on your own (and will be lucky to get credit) if you wish to do International Rotations.

I don't know anything about Jefferson, but hope this helps in your decision. good luck.

Acherona

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
skiracer90 said:
How about Tufts vs BU? What do you guys think?
I interviewed at Tufts and BU. It seems like the best clinical training in Boston is at BU because of its location near Roxbury and its history as the city hospital for Boston. My friend who went to BU said she has seen some amazing things that people at Tufts never get exposed to. On the other hand, Tufts is in downtown Boston and is T-accessible which is nicer in terms of social life. Also I know someone who used to work in the financial aid office at TUSM and Tufts definitely suffers from money issues. I don't know about BU but I think they are a larger research institution (more PhDs in more areas than Tufts) and are opening new centers for imaging and infectious disease.