Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNAroolez

Alpha Helix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i can't help but have a favorite, and that's Jefferson. I got my secondary in early, took the August MCAT, and I know they have my letters of recommendation. Has anyone out there heard from Jeff for anything? When are they booked up until as far as interviews go?
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of threads on the forum about interviews and acceptances for Jefferson, you should find what you're looking for somewhere. I interviewed on 10/5 and was accepted 10/20 along with a bunch of others on the forum. Good luck!

badlydrawnvik said:
There are a lot of threads on the forum about interviews and acceptances for Jefferson, you should find what you're looking for somewhere. I interviewed on 10/5 and was accepted 10/20 along with a bunch of others on the forum. Good luck!

Hey Vik:

I interviewed there the same day that you did!! How weird is that? But there were 30 of us, so I doubt I'd remember you. :D Wasn't Dr. Callahan a riot?

I was w/l a couple of weeks afterwards, but I'm going to withdraw since I got into G'Town...DNA, you can have my spot on the w/l. Just call them up and say "LW said I could have her space!" No, seriously, if they are your favorite, and you woud go there hands-down, maybe a letter to the admissions committee would help? They seemed pretty laid-back and down-to-earth there, so I think they'd probably be receptive to someone who knew that they really wanted to go there (but who could also back up such a statement with specific reasons).

Good luck to you!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Jefferson is pretty awesome and I think its currently my top choice....

lady wolverine, congrats on the georgetown acceptance, i thought it was one of the nicest schools i've seen so far and look forward to hearing from them as well.

I have been checking the interview threads, but I haven't seen anyone add to Jefferson lately. I am still waiting to hear from them about an interview. I am wondering if anyone has received an interivew invite from them lately because I would like to figure out how far booked up they are for interviews. Please let me know if you have heard anything

If Jefferson is your first choice, may I ask why? I'd like to know what people found particularly impressive about the school.

I can't say I have gone by stats as much as I should. My undergrad school is also in Philly and as a pre-med student we have always been aware of the good reputation Jefferson has. I would like to stay in Philly so I am interested in the schools here. I like that Jefferson has a large class size, which I know a lot of people would disagree with. I also like the large number and variety of student organizations they have. I guess it is more a feeling that this is the school I want to go to rather than looking at board scores or numbers like that. Sorry I couldn't give you more concrete data

I agree, I heart biology. I also have really liked every interaction with people at Jeff. I know family friends that work there, and the hospital is amazing too. It's probably the best or second best in Philly. A lot of kids from my undergrad go there and they love it. They say its a real family atmosphere!

DNAroolez said:
I agree, I heart biology. I also have really liked every interaction with people at Jeff. I know family friends that work there, and the hospital is amazing too. It's probably the best or second best in Philly. A lot of kids from my undergrad go there and they love it. They say its a real family atmosphere!

i've heard through the grapevine that the students there are actually pretty pretentious due to some inferiority complex with UPenn. and also Drexel and Temple (both in Philly) also have big class sizes. any other reasons why jefferson is your guys's top choice? i'm not trying to be mean or anything, just curious.
-mota

DaMota said:
i've heard through the grapevine that the students there are actually pretty pretentious due to some inferiority complex with UPenn. and also Drexel and Temple (both in Philly) also have big class sizes. any other reasons why jefferson is your guys's top choice? i'm not trying to be mean or anything, just curious.
-mota

Actually, this is my problem with the school. I was impressed by it in many ways, but really all of the students I've met are complete jerks and very arrogant. I think there is some sort of inferiority problem because of Penn. You don't see that at Drexel probably because it's not really in the same league as far as prestige, but I suppose Jefferson is more competitive, just not like Penn.

This was the impression I had before going to my interview (arrogant students). At the interview itself I think my student interviewer was okay. Then a few days after the interview I met a guy who lives in my apartment building who's a 4th year, and he was a complete jerk. One of my TPR teachers was a student at Jeff and he was also pretty much a jerk with an inferiority complex.

I don't mean to imply that all Jefferson students are like this. It just seems that all the ones I've met have been. I suppose I'll look forward to the second look weekend, and a chance to meet more students. In the meantime I'm trying to meet as many as possible to get a better feel for the student body. I'm sure there must be some great people there, I just have to find them!

Haha I guess here in Philly we are kind of used to pretentious schools. (no offense to other Philly kids. i think alot of the competition is based on basketball rivals anyway) That's a fair question. Like I said, the facility is a huge draw for me personally. Also, if you are from Philly, Jeff is considered to be a big part of the community, and it's right in the heart of center city in an amazingly diverse area. Penn is viewed in the same way, only it is more competitive. Penn's campus is beautiful and I want to go into pediatrics- CHOPP is one of the best children's hospitals in the country. That's certainly a plus! I would be proud to go to either school based on their history and reputations. Does that answer your question?

I think it really does come down to the school you feel is a good fit for you. if you have interviewed there and you don't like the vibe you get, then you probably don't need other people telling you why you should or shouldn't go there. I am sure you will find another school you like better that you don't need other people to defend their reasons for liking it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heart Biology said:
I think it really does come down to the school you feel is a good fit for you. if you have interviewed there and you don't like the vibe you get, then you probably don't need other people telling you why you should or shouldn't go there. I am sure you will find another school you like better that you don't need other people to defend their reasons for liking it.

Not necessarily. See, I was impressed by the school. The truth is I'm quite conflicted :p On the one hand I haven't liked the students I've met, but on the other hand I came away from my interview day very gung-ho about the whole school. Also, if I do end up staying in Philadelphia, it looks like I'll be choosing between Drexel and Jefferson. A doctor here at Drexel told me the other day that she thinks I should go to Jefferson because it will open more doors for me. I do place a certain amount of weight on her opinion, because she's in a position, as an attending here, to judge that kind of thing.

I appreciate everybody's opinions.

I'm interviewing at Jefferson on 11/30. Anything special I should know in advance?

tigress said:
I suppose I'll look forward to the second look weekend, and a chance to meet more students.

Do you know when the second look weekend is?

Since all of you guys seemed to have interviewed at Jefferson, maybe you can help me with this. I'm still waiting to hear from them as far as getting an interview goes. I submitted early, but as you can see on my mdapplicants profile, I'm not the overall statistically best candidate. Should I just wait it out or would calling help? It seems that they always refer you to the website which doesn't tell you anything. Any tips are appreciated

I am still waiting to hear about an interview as well. My advisor sent in my recommendations through the electronic system ( i don't know the name of it). They haven't even downloaded them yet even though they were sent in April. It seems that Jefferson is a little backed up this year, so it is difficult to tell if it because of peoples stats they aren't getting interviews or just because they are taking a long time to go through the applications. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that I will get an interview there before their class fills up.

deacondan, i have similar mcat to you, with a higher gpa, also i'm a pa resident, applied early, and have not heard anything from jeff.

deacondan, same here. no interview- you can look at my stats if you want. Plus my secondary was submitted 7/27 (like 5 minutes after i recieved it!). I don't blame you for being nervous!

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who got an interview at jefferson who took the august mcat. I have been checking the interview threads and I noticed no one has added jefferson in a long time. So i was thinking maybe some people aren't adding their name or maybe jefferson just hasn't given out any interviews lately

I had a friend last year who had a 41/3.95 and awesome ECs. He applied early to jeff (PA resident) and didn't get an interview until very late in the season (long after Harvard and Hopkins had admitted him). There isn't even a secondary for you to mess up. So my theory is that ... it's random. :p

I have a 39/3.6 and I haven't heard from them in the 3 months I've been complete. In the words of Cartman, wha-EVA.

I interviewed at Penn, but haven't heard anything from Jeff despite making a couple phonecalls. Random.

TheMightyAngus said:
I interviewed at Penn, but haven't heard anything from Jeff despite making a couple phonecalls. Random.

That's how I feel about Temple. I was accepted to Jefferson, but I haven't heard anything from Temple even though I've been complete for over 3 months. Some of this stuff really is random.

drmota said:
-mota

yeah, i attend jeff...i'm not sure about the inferiority complex

i still haven't heard anything from jefferson (pre-interview) -- of course i realize that this is not looking too great -- anyone else in the same boat?!

yea haven't heard anything from jeff since i was complete back in september

bgabes said:
yeah, i attend jeff...i'm not sure about the inferiority complex but yeah, if i were to apply again I wouldnt've attended jeff (i can't say the same for medicine overall though)

can you elaborate on why you feel this way?

I think the inferiority complex thing is way off. Both Jeff and UPenn have their strengths and weaknesses and students know that. And I think letting a few bad apples dissuade you from a great school is somewhat silly...no offense intended. Every med school in this country has students who are a bit challenged when it comes to interacting with others. I stood around outside of the classroom building at Jeff a few months ago and basically harassed students for their opinion about the school and everyone I talked to was incredibly kind. Jeff's location and strength in Philly is spot on. And with a class size of 200 plus diverse students, you'd be hard-pressed not to find people that you identify with and get along with really well. That's just my two cents, though.

I interviewed recently at Jefferson and I'm anxious to hear back post-interview. I believe the admissions committee meets on Wednesdays -- so did anyone receive a call yesterday or today? Obviously, I didn't get such a call, so I'm wondering whether I should be waiting for a waitlist and/or rejection letter....

Hey there,

I interviewed April 5 and havent heard yet so I am bracing for not so good news...I know someone posted on here who interviewed the same day I did that they had been accepted btu I know the adcom won't decide on you until your interviewer can attend. I have been lookin our for people with news from Jeff but only one person said they had gotten the call these last 2 weeks. Good luck to you I hope the call is coming!

aau22 said:
Hey there,

I interviewed April 5 and havent heard yet so I am bracing for not so good news...I know someone posted on here who interviewed the same day I did that they had been accepted btu I know the adcom won't decide on you until your interviewer can attend. I have been lookin our for people with news from Jeff but only one person said they had gotten the call these last 2 weeks. Good luck to you I hope the call is coming!

bump....had april 12th interview.... no news yet

has anyone out there not heard anything from Jeff at all since sending the secondaries? If we weren't chosen for an interview, should we have gotten the rejection letter by now?

danesh23 said:
bump....had april 12th interview.... no news yet

pallcare said:
has anyone out there not heard anything from Jeff at all since sending the secondaries? If we weren't chosen for an interview, should we have gotten the rejection letter by now?

i haven't heard anything from jeff...i assume they're just taking their time with the rejection letter

peace84 said:
i haven't heard anything from jeff...i assume they're just taking their time with the rejection letter

april 12th was the last interview date

danesh23 said:
april 12th was the last interview date

Yep... I interviewed there on the 12th as well... no news yet either.

i was told that a letter was sent already after having the interview on the 12th.... for those of you who interviewed at Jefferson, what does it mean if they send a letter within a week? (like if you were rejected/waitlisted/accepted how long did it take you to hear the news and how)

danesh23 said:
i was told that a letter was sent already after having the interview on the 12th.... for those of you who interviewed at Jefferson, what does it mean if they send a letter within a week? (like if you were rejected/waitlisted/accepted how long did it take you to hear the news and how)

If you are accepted they will call and send the letter. A friend of mine wasn't by her phone when they called her, and they told her that a letter with good news was in the mail. They called me within a week of my interview. Some people got a call a couple weeks after that.
Did they tell you that the letter was in the mail by calling you, or did you call them?

DNAroolez said:
If you are accepted they will call and send the letter. A friend of mine wasn't by her phone when they called her, and they told her that a letter with good news was in the mail. They called me within a week of my interview. Some people got a call a couple weeks after that.
Did they tell you that the letter was in the mail by calling you, or did you call them?

i called them, does anyone have an experience where they were rejected or waitlisted from jefferson with similar/dissimilar experiences?

Sweet is jefferson really good? I know its a small school I may be there as part of the college of health professions.

SRK85 said:
Sweet is jefferson really good? I know its a small school I may be there as part of the college of health professions.

well i really like....great atmosphere

danesh23 said:
well i really like....great atmosphere
Sweet looks like a great school espically with tju being in philly. But the only thing I dont like is the small amount of a students less than 1000.

Like several other people here, I never heard a single thing back from them after sending in my 2ndaries... back in Aug. It's not like I'm still holding on to any hope or anything, and my plans for next year are set now, but that's still pretty lame.

for those who interview at jefferson on april 12th....did any of you recieve a phone call telling you were accepted?

I interviewed April 5 and still nothing yet so I am thinking its waitlist or rejection. No one on here has said much about hearing from jefferson in a few weeks so I am not too sure what is going on. ANyone have any news from Jeff who interviewed in April?? Thought the school was great! :)

hey... just to answer everyone who is waiting to hear back, I interviewed on April 12th and received a phone call on the following Wednesday (April 21) and then a letter yesterday. I'm not sure what happens with the waitlist, but I wouldnt just assume you are waitlisted if you havent heard back yet. One of the students I spoke to at my interview said she didnt get a phone call for more than two weeks after her interview, so it seems like it might be rather random. Good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear back, and even if you are waitlisted it sounds like there is a huge amount of movement post-may 15th. I think the admissions director said something like one-third of the class comes off the waitlist, so thats like 85 students...

MrMeowskers said:
hey... just to answer everyone who is waiting to hear back, I interviewed on April 12th and received a phone call on the following Wednesday (April 21) and then a letter yesterday. I'm not sure what happens with the waitlist, but I wouldnt just assume you are waitlisted if you havent heard back yet. One of the students I spoke to at my interview said she didnt get a phone call for more than two weeks after her interview, so it seems like it might be rather random. Good luck to everyone who is waiting to hear back, and even if you are waitlisted it sounds like there is a huge amount of movement post-may 15th. I think the admissions director said something like one-third of the class comes off the waitlist, so thats like 85 students...

Does anyone know what it means to be on the "high priority" waitlist? Has anyone been on this list and been accepted yet?

danesh23 said:
Does anyone know what it means to be on the "high priority" waitlist? Has anyone been on this list and been accepted yet?

Bump. I'd also love to know what "high priority" waitlist means!

Me too...just got my high priority letter! It seems promising but I really don't have much info on it.