Jesuit Dental Schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LMUKID

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any people out there who applied to any Jesuit Dental Schools? If so did you come from a Jesuit Undergrad education? Does that help your chances of getting in? Thanks alot, any info would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that your undergraduate school will be noted, but I'm not sure if it's advantageous in any way, especially religious based!!

Marquette University is Jesuit private university so was Northwestern, wasn't it?

Members don't see this ad :)
There aren't too many to pick from.

University of Detroit Mercy (Michigan)
Creighton University (Nebraska)
Marquette University (Wisconsin)

Georgetown had a dental school; some of my teachers went there but it closed at least 10 years ago. Northwestern is a private school not religiously affiliated, but they also closed the dental school a few years ago. There are more Jesuit med schools than dental schools.

You could always stress how you commited yourself to loyalty, scholarship, and service (the Jesuit ideals) during your Jesuit undergrad education and how you plan on following them in your dental education and career. They must follow these somewhere at the Jesuit dental school level as well so it might give you a little advantage.

I know that Loma Linda is a Jesuit school too. I did apply there and they sent me an nterview invitation too. I declined the interview as I got into my choice of school here in east coast. But i don't think they do have any kind of partial system for their religion. I am from India, and not even christian, so I think that tells a lot that they do look you as an individual, not just with some religious beliefs.

To answer the original question, Brigham Young University (not a Jesuit school :wink: ) feeds 10 people a year into Creighton and 15-30 a year into Marquette. Based on this I would say that it isn't extremely important to have a Jesuit undergrad education, however, as other posters have noted, the schools are highly committed to certain values. Demonstrating these values assures the schools that you will be an honorable alumni and consumate professional.

I believe that these two specific schools offer wonderful dental educations, regardless of their religious affiliation.

Sorry Viraj, but you are confused.

Loma Linda is NOT a Jesuit school. It is Seventh-Day Adventist, that is different from Jesuit. Seventh-Day Adventists are Protestants, Jesuits are Catholics. True, they are all Christians. There are 28 Jesuit schools in the US and Loma Linda is not one of them.

Already said, but Northwestern isn't Jesuit, Loyola University Chicago is Jesuit, neither have dental schools any more

i went to a jesuit undergrad and have applied to all three of the jesuit dental schools. creighton does look favorably at you if you went to a jesuit undergrad. marquette does not and udm does a little.