jesuit med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbajones

BIG TEX
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have a list of jesuit med schools or any religious affiliated med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that Saint Louis University is a Jesuit school. Maybe Loyola?

are there any others?

Members don't see this ad :)
Georgetown, Creighton are also Jesuit

i know this may sound stupid but if you are catholc does that help a little or no?

All those are right. SLU, Loyola, Creighton, and Georgetown are Jesuit. Being catholic definitely wouldn't hurt, but I don't know if it would give you any edge or not.

Loma Linda has a religious affiliation-- Seventh Day Adventist, I think

should i mention it in my post secondary or personal statement? (me being catholic)

I think if you do go out of your way to write about your religious affiliation, you should be prepared to answer some ethical questions on your interviews. There's always the chance that your interviewer will ask you about abortion, stem cell research etc......but including it in your personal statement definitely opens the door for discussions like that.

i'd include it on their secondary application and during your interview. you'll probably be asked why school x? so you can add the fact that you're catholic at that point. even if they don't ask you that there will be another opportunity to mention it in the interview. i wouldn't include that in your general personal statement.

Creighton
Loyola Chicago
Georgetown
Saint Luis University

I am a student at a Jesuit univserity, and while they do not take religion into consideration, they do look for the Jesuit motivation for practicing medicine. HUGE on social justice, dignity of the human person, helping the disadvantaged, etc. If you showcase these things in your resume and mention them in your personal statement and interview as well as them coming up your LORs, they will LOVE you.

Hope this helps

If you showcase those things be fully prepared to discuss them and how you practice the Jesuit philosophy during your interview. Don't just say you believe/do all of those things. They will see right through someone trying to pretend they have the Jesuit motivation and philosophy. But it really doesn't matter. Just apply and as someone else said you can bring up your Catholicity during the interview. Good luck.

i know this may sound stupid but if you are catholc does that help a little or no?

By itself no, but if you can spin it into a significant reason why you want to attend the school then I suppose it can help. Won't make up for any sub-par parts of your application though.

EDIT: Just saw I answered a 10-year old question.

I interviewed at one of the schools with Jesuit affiliation. One of the first things that an admissions representative said was that if we were pursuing the school with intentions of a significant religious experience, we would end up disappointed--at the end of the day, there is so much standardization in medical education, and you really cannot alter much. That said, in any religion, you will find great values that in the context of medical education and training, will hopefully motivate you to build a deeper respect for others regardless of background, to more effectively address moral dilemas, and to ultimately be a better doctor. I get the impression that at these schools, the curriculums are built so that these values do become transparent over time--you might not see humanistic education every day, but over the course of your education, you find that it has sort of been built into everything you do.