jetpearl Number 20: A Challenge For My Resident Colleagues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a resident you go with the flow. You arrive early, set up your room, and fall into the flow of your assigned room. More than likely you are waiting on something or someone at some point in your day. The transporter isnt back with the patient yet. The circulator had to run to get something. The scrub tech still has stuff to set up.

More than likely you settle into the flow, wait around, take a whiz, saunter to the resident's room to check your email, run up to the fifth floor to "check some labs" so you can run into that hottie nurse again, etc etc.

And wait for your beeper to go off.

This kind of mindset happens in private practice too.

Settling into The Flow.

Thing is, an advocate can break the flow.

Here's the Jetpearl:

Taking command of the flow can shave a cuppla hours off your day.

Yeah, I know.

You're a resident.

Which means the harder you work, the more work you'll get.

Alotta exposure is great when you are a resident but you don't wanna burn yourself out.

This is a challenge for my resident colleagues which will show you how much you can make a difference in turnover time. Making a difference in turnover time out here is GOLD, my friends.

Because it is the exception, not the rule.

If you are the exception rather than the rule,

opportunities arise to you.

The dude with the most feathers in his hat wins.

A great feather to have is to know how to push a room.

Back to the challenge:

Pick a day where you have a high volume room of cases. Maybe you've got 6 total knees. Maybe you've got 2 gallbladders, a hernia, and a cuppla FESSs. Whatever. But pick a day with a buncha cases.

Then set into your mind WHATEVER NEEDS TO BE DONE TO MAKE THIS ROOM GO FASTER I'M GONNA DO.

I've been doing this near fifteen years and guess what....I still think like this. Little time saving here and there adds up to a cuppla hours saved at the end of the day in a room with 6-8 cases.

Here's some examples:

1) First case: Patient isnt in holding yet, you're there early to do an epidural for a total knee? Don't wait. Go to day surgery and roll the stretcher yourself. Same day nurse say's "we're waiting on phlebotomy for the type and screen." You say "I'll draw it. I'm taking the patient."

2) You're done with the epidural in holding. No sign of the circulator. Call the room. "Yeah hi its Dr Jet, can we come back?" Circulator says the room isnt ready. Look at your watch. "OK. It's 0710. Tell me when I can roll back and I'll meet you in the room."

3) You're done with case number 2, outta recovery, ready for case number three. You take a whiz, go to holding. No patient. Call the front desk. "Yeah, hi, Dr. Jet. Next patient for room nine isn't in holding. Whats up?" Front desk nurse says "the transporter was tied up in room 12 til justa few minutes ago. I told him to head to the seventh floor when he was done." Hang up. Call the seventh floor. Transporter there? Great. No transporter? Go to the seventh floor to get the patient.

4) During your case, make sure the circulator has sent for the next patient in a timely fashion. I can't tell you how many delays I've experienced because someone "forgot to send."

5) I work in a supervised environment. When I'm in a total joint room with 6 knees to do, the epidural is placed and dosed in holding before the previous case is outta the room. If it's a dude patient, I put the foley in too. Is that in my job description? Absolutely not. Does it shave ten minutes off this case? Absolutely. Think outside the box. As a resident, you're doing your own cases so this scenario is not applicable, but thinking outside the box is. Once your total joint epidural is in and dosed and you're in the room, is the circulator running around and behind? Could you put the foley in? Could you put the bovie pad on? Could you hold the leg if the surgeon is being held up because theres no leg holder in the room yet? In summary, throw out the term it's not in my job description. Help when you can.

All the above things I've done myself. I'm sure the great minds on this forum can add many more examples of how to Take Command Of The Flow.

It's quite easy to monitor your monitor screen during the start of many surgeries and at the same time lend a helping hand.

It's also quite easy to stay ahead of your room. Go get the patient yourself. Make a phone call.

I'm challenging you. Not every day. Just pick ONE day. Where you will not take no for an answer. Where you will do whatever it takes to make the day go faster.

Again, this a valuable trait in private practice that is not taught in residency.

It will make you stand out when you start in your new practice after emerging from residency.

The challenge is TAKE COMMAND OF THE FLOW.

You'll be amazed at the results.

When you are making your living doing cases,

Time is money. And a cuppla hours shaved off the end of your day is more than money since everyone benefits. Surgeons are happy. Patients are happy.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Jet,

Don't know if you remember me, I used to post a lot when I was a 3rd/4th yr med student, now am a CA-2.

Although I find the principle of what you're saying true--I feel like it doesn't work out in an academic hospital! You can run around like a rabid squirrel trying to expedite and facilitate, even mopping the floor and cleaning your anesthesia equipment yourself (I've done it) but something still derails the day. The surgical team didn't type & cross the patient, the patient has an antibody, you can't go back without blood. Or the equipment is being flashed so it's not ready. Or the surgeon is running 2 rooms and had a snafu next door. Whatever. So how do you continuously do this and not get burned out? I have an attending who does a lot of our regional and ortho--very busy --and he always looks freaking exhausted. That being said, people do love and request him--surgeons and patient. He'll never be out of a job.

That being said, people do love and request him--surgeons and patient. He'll never be out of a job.

You said it dude.

I realize you are in an academic environment and it is difficult.

This pearl's spirit is to introduce a mindset in you that isn't taught.

A mindset that will benefit you in private practice.

I'm challenging you and your colleagues, an introduction if you will, to a way of thinking that will more than benefit you when you hit the door running on your very first day in private practice, and will continue to benefit you throughout your career where time is money and money is time.

And congrats on where you're at...you're almost there!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) First case: Patient isnt in holding yet, you're there early to do an epidural for a total knee? Don't wait. Go to day surgery and...

place the epidural while the guy is checking in...

:laugh:

Jet,Loving these pearls. I remember all the original posts.

I took this one to heart. Within reason, I try this every day. ONce in a while, I go with the flow. But, in general, I practice this.

It is very hard to get nursing and janitorial to speed up- though I try.

Any suave lines you have for the circulating nurse who is stonewalling you, taking her time?

As a resident you go with the flow. You arrive early, set up your room, and fall into the flow of your assigned room. More than likely you are waiting on something or someone at some point in your day. The transporter isnt back with the patient yet. The circulator had to run to get something. The scrub tech still has stuff to set up.

More than likely you settle into the flow, wait around, take a whiz, saunter to the resident's room to check your email, run up to the fifth floor to "check some labs" so you can run into that hottie nurse again, etc etc.

And wait for your beeper to go off.

This kind of mindset happens in private practice too.

Settling into The Flow.

Thing is, an advocate can break the flow.

Here's the Jetpearl:

Taking command of the flow can shave a cuppla hours off your day.

Yeah, I know.

You're a resident.

Which means the harder you work, the more work you'll get.

Alotta exposure is great when you are a resident but you don't wanna burn yourself out.

This is a challenge for my resident colleagues which will show you how much you can make a difference in turnover time. Making a difference in turnover time out here is GOLD, my friends.

Because it is the exception, not the rule.

If you are the exception rather than the rule,

opportunities arise to you.

The dude with the most feathers in his hat wins.

A great feather to have is to know how to push a room.

Back to the challenge:

Pick a day where you have a high volume room of cases. Maybe you've got 6 total knees. Maybe you've got 2 gallbladders, a hernia, and a cuppla FESSs. Whatever. But pick a day with a buncha cases.

Then set into your mind WHATEVER NEEDS TO BE DONE TO MAKE THIS ROOM GO FASTER I'M GONNA DO.

I've been doing this near fifteen years and guess what....I still think like this. Little time saving here and there adds up to a cuppla hours saved at the end of the day in a room with 6-8 cases.

Here's some examples:

1) First case: Patient isnt in holding yet, you're there early to do an epidural for a total knee? Don't wait. Go to day surgery and roll the stretcher yourself. Same day nurse say's "we're waiting on phlebotomy for the type and screen." You say "I'll draw it. I'm taking the patient."

2) You're done with the epidural in holding. No sign of the circulator. Call the room. "Yeah hi its Dr Jet, can we come back?" Circulator says the room isnt ready. Look at your watch. "OK. It's 0710. Tell me when I can roll back and I'll meet you in the room."

3) You're done with case number 2, outta recovery, ready for case number three. You take a whiz, go to holding. No patient. Call the front desk. "Yeah, hi, Dr. Jet. Next patient for room nine isn't in holding. Whats up?" Front desk nurse says "the transporter was tied up in room 12 til justa few minutes ago. I told him to head to the seventh floor when he was done." Hang up. Call the seventh floor. Transporter there? Great. No transporter? Go to the seventh floor to get the patient.

4) During your case, make sure the circulator has sent for the next patient in a timely fashion. I can't tell you how many delays I've experienced because someone "forgot to send."

5) I work in a supervised environment. When I'm in a total joint room with 6 knees to do, the epidural is placed and dosed in holding before the previous case is outta the room. If it's a dude patient, I put the foley in too. Is that in my job description? Absolutely not. Does it shave ten minutes off this case? Absolutely. Think outside the box. As a resident, you're doing your own cases so this scenario is not applicable, but thinking outside the box is. Once your total joint epidural is in and dosed and you're in the room, is the circulator running around and behind? Could you put the foley in? Could you put the bovie pad on? Could you hold the leg if the surgeon is being held up because theres no leg holder in the room yet? In summary, throw out the term it's not in my job description. Help when you can.

All the above things I've done myself. I'm sure the great minds on this forum can add many more examples of how to Take Command Of The Flow.

It's quite easy to monitor your monitor screen during the start of many surgeries and at the same time lend a helping hand.

It's also quite easy to stay ahead of your room. Go get the patient yourself. Make a phone call.

I'm challenging you. Not every day. Just pick ONE day. Where you will not take no for an answer. Where you will do whatever it takes to make the day go faster.

Again, this a valuable trait in private practice that is not taught in residency.

It will make you stand out when you start in your new practice after emerging from residency.

The challenge is TAKE COMMAND OF THE FLOW.

You'll be amazed at the results.

When you are making your living doing cases,

Time is money. And a cuppla hours shaved off the end of your day is more than money since everyone benefits. Surgeons are happy. Patients are happy.

place the epidural while the guy is checking in...

:laugh:

I would if I could.

At previous gig when I was assigned to the surgery center the nurses got a kick out of me starting a pre-op thru a cracked door while the patient was changing. In the bathroom. Ten minutes after arrival.

40-50 cases a day at a surgery center= alotta pre-ops so ya gotta take'em out as quickly as possible at any given opportunity!

True story.:laugh:

Resident here-but I find it immensely time saving to have multiple sets of syringes at the ready inside of/on top of the pyxis ( depending upon JCHAO culture at the particular place), as well as restocking all airway stuff during the current case. Also-i make up at least the number of ivs as the number of cases scheduled for my room-even if a switch occurs I am ready. After patient is off the table and on the stretcher-i rip the old circuit off the machine and replace it-makes for happy techs ! No matter what-it is my objective to be ready to take a patient into the room even when the board runner sends them there while I am dropping off in the PACU.Of course-the best time saver-in the case of GA-is to have the patient extubated as soon as or as close to soon as the drapes come down: I love telling the surgery resident " I'm ready to go whenever you are " as they furiously write their post op orders/attest the time out, etc. Hilarious.

I do this everyday and i'm out of the hopital at least an hour or two on average before my collegues that "go with the flow".

Jet what is the average turnaround time you should aim for to be PP ready?

Coumadin on the day of surgery.
We do a FNB (some of us add a shorter acting anterior sciatic block as well) and a spinal with duramorph.

15 minutes??? OMG. Never at my hospital except in peds for like PE tubes. Avg adult room turnover...at best 30-45min. At best. Everyone goes nuts about it but nothing speeds up.

Lazy partners in PP will really F with you after a while. They go slow, so there room is still running late into the day, making it one more room that needs to be staffed which means one more attending has to stick around.

Lazy partners in PP will really F with you after a while. They go slow, so there room is still running late into the day, making it one more room that needs to be staffed which means one more attending has to stick around.

So true. Some of them will work harder at getting out of work than if they would have just done the work.

People like this drive me crazy. I like to work hard all day, move as fast as possible. Then help out the team, so we ALL can go home slightly earlier EVERY day.

So true. Some of them will work harder at getting out of work than if they would have just done the work.

Jet -

I have nothing but respect for you - through residency I learned a ton and modified my attitude in a manner that I think things get done quicker and on better terms.

I employ a lot of your hints to this day.

But here's the problem - these tips are great if you're in a supervisory role. I sit cases, and while I can bag on the circulator to make sure the next one is in preop holding and make sure my partner who is floating gets the next block in, if I showed up to admitting and tried to wheel a patient to preop holding, I'd have some old nurse clucking at me and end up in front of the MEC for code of conduct violations (it's happened to a couple surgeons for the same reason).

Additionally, if I was trying to put in a foley, I'd have the same end result. Not to mention the old gomer with the 1 kg prostate whose urethra I'd eventually perf and then I'd be answering the question of whether I was qualified to place a foley.

Any suggestions to these questions?

Go to the seventh floor to get the patient.

I don't do this because the nurses would crucify me for interfering with their SBAR turnover, or whatever the trendy acronym is this week.

If it's a dude patient, I put the foley in too.

I'm just going to say the same thing I said last time this topic came up: I'm an enthusiastic highly motivated cheerful team player, but I touched my last Foley as an MS3. Even if the nurse is trying to put it in backwards through an ostomy, I'm not helping.

:)

But I agree in principle to just about everything else you wrote.