JHU MPH vs Harvard SM2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andrews1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I currently deciding between Hopkins MPH and Harvard Sm2 in SBS.

I am interested in a wide array of research options: social epidemiology, SBS, Reproductive justice and global health etc.

Hopkins and Harvard are very close in terms of ranking, and they are both very strong in these areas. I am currently leaning toward Hopkins because it is 1 year, hence half the cost. Baltimore is also a very inexpensive city.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I declined my JHU MPH offer and from what I've heard from current students, the 11 months passes by very fast and you have to have a clear idea on what you want to study and exactly what you want to do when you graduate. Over half the class are MDs and a good majority of the others are planning on getting their Phd's after and have a very clear interest area (e.g. nutritional epidemiology in sub-saharan africa). I also heard that JHU doesn't have great career support (this is partly because most students are either MDs or pre-PhDs and aren't looking for jobs).

Since you seem to have many interests, it might be better to do Harvard's 2 year program so you have time to explore your interests.

I declined my JHU MPH offer and from what I've heard from current students, the 11 months passes by very fast and you have to have a clear idea on what you want to study and exactly what you want to do when you graduate. Over half the class are MDs and a good majority of the others are planning on getting their Phd's after and have a very clear interest area (e.g. nutritional epidemiology in sub-saharan africa). I also heard that JHU doesn't have great career support (this is partly because most students are either MDs or pre-PhDs and aren't looking for jobs).

Since you seem to have many interests, it might be better to do Harvard's 2 year program so you have time to explore your interests.

Have you heard anything or have any insight about JHU's MHS program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you heard anything or have any insight about JHU's MHS program?

I have not but I would highly recommend reaching out to the dept and asking them to put you in touch with a current student. Honestly, that has been by far the most helpful in making my decision. Make sure to ask the student what they think the major weaknesses of the program are.

At JHU, there are so many students in each of the masters program and most take the same classes. Therefore, class sizes are very large and getting "lost in the crowd" may be an issue. Also, as I stated, career support doesn't seem to be very strong at JHU in general.

I have not but I would highly recommend reaching out to the dept and asking them to put you in touch with a current student. Honestly, that has been by far the most helpful in making my decision. Make sure to ask the student what they think the major weaknesses of the program are.

At JHU, there are so many students in each of the masters program and most take the same classes. Therefore, class sizes are very large and getting "lost in the crowd" may be an issue. Also, as I stated, career support doesn't seem to be very strong at JHU in general.

Thanks for the information and advice. I guess I am used to dealing with large class sizes since I attended a large public institution (University of Michigan) and I am also attending medical school afterwards so my scenario is sort of different. Thanks though I will try to connect with current students if possible.

Thanks for the information and advice. I guess I am used to dealing with large class sizes since I attended a large public institution (University of Michigan) and I am also attending medical school afterwards so my scenario is sort of different. Thanks though I will try to connect with current students if possible.

Awesome! I'm a fellow wolverine. Good luck with your decision. I think because you're going to med school afterwards, this might be the perfect program for you.

This is really interesting, considering so many top notch organizations recruit from there.

Reviving this thread....
In a similar situation here -- deciding between the MPH program at JHU or MPH (HSB) at Harvard
Already have an MD and am specializing in Preventive Medicine, so career support isn't too much of an issue
Both programs seem very strong -- having a hard time deciding which one would be a better fit. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Reviving this thread....
In a similar situation here -- deciding between the MPH program at JHU or MPH (HSB) at Harvard
Already have an MD and am specializing in Preventive Medicine, so career support isn't too much of an issue
Both programs seem very strong -- having a hard time deciding which one would be a better fit. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Both are great options. I would take these 3 things into account when deciding
1. which school has professors/research projects that you are interested in? Reach out to those professors, see if there is an opportunity work with them.
2. Location Boston vs Baltimore
3. Cost