JHU Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocolate_queen_md

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
several questions

1. Does JH give Maryland residence any special consideration for med school admissions

2. If I have my heart set on JH (I plan on matriculating in 2005) should I make any contact early in the game to help with admission.

3. Im a URM and I wanted to know what are the minimum requirements for entrance GPA/MCAT

does anyone accepted into JHU have any tip or advice for someone whose heart is set on JH.

Members don't see this ad.

1. no

2. don't get too sold on any one school, as perceptions tend to change drastically after interviewing/learning more. But yeah, contact them early to express an interest/request a viewbook or something like that

3. no hardfast minimum. Mitigating factors can make up for a lack in #s. Generally I'd say much below a 3.5 or a 30 would necessitate a hefty rest of your resume for JHU and most top schools.

good luck

I wish you luck.... Hopkins does not give any preference to Maryland residents that I know of, since its a private school with no state funding.

There are no minimum requirements for admission, I'm not sure what the average MCAT/GPA is for matriculants, but you get that data from the US News website.

I wouldnt worry about going out of your way to find someone affiliated with Hopkins. If you can shadow a physician, that might be good and if he's affiliated with Hopkins somehow, thats even better. But I dont know that it would help that much, unless you can spend substantial time with him/her and get an excellent letter of rec.

Lastly, i hate to say this because I know how you feel but it can be very heartbreaking to have your heart set on one particular school. Hopkins, just like every other medical school, can be very subjective in their evaluations. There is no 'magic formula' to get accepted. I know this may be hard, but its best if you find a variety of schools, and dont get so dead-set on one particular program.