1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

JHU vs. Brown?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by js416256, Apr 20, 2007.

1. js416256

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So I was hoping some of the knowledgeable people on this forum could lend me some advice. I am a high school senior who has been accepted to Brown and Johns Hopkins and I am very interested in pursuing either an MD/PhD or a PhD in the future. I have had some lab experience the past 2 years, doing cancer research at a local university and a cancer center.

My question is when selecting which university should the abundance of research be a key aspect if I plan on going into research? I know JHU is regarded as a medical powerhouse but I have also learned of the competitiveness and harsh grading whereas Brown is seen as somewhat more diverse, humanities-focused, and weaker in the Life Sciences.

As of right now I am focusing on the undergraduate experience in deciding but everyone is continually insisting that I should go to Hopkins because the research opportunities there are abundant (plus they gave me a $10,000 research grant).

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fotografía

fotografía Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Go where you think you will be happier. I went to Brown and I loved it for a variety of reasons (curriculum and the ability to take whatever I wanted outside of premed/major courses, amazingly talented and happy student body, wonderful teachers who truly enjoy teaching etc). I obviously think very highly of my alma mater, but one thing I can say is don't just pick JHU because you think you'll have more research opportunities. The great thing about Brown is that it's an institution that really emphasizes undergraduate education. The small grad programs translates into more opportunities for undergrads. I got got involved in some pretty awesome research, recieved great mentorship, got a first author pub etc. and really was treated like a grad/medical student in terms of my role and my responsibilities.

4. sagemedecon

2+ Year Member

Go to Brown! Stay far far away from Hopkins pre-meds. You are likely to find more than enough research opportunities at Brown. If nothing else Providence>>>>>>>>>>>Baltimore.

5. Mixtli

Mixtli Trying to smile real hard
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    JHU >>> Brown

Why? Because lets see.... JHU gets $$$$$$$$$$ in research funding. 80% of science kids do research because they can pick and choose which lab they want in. With so much funding, you can get your own grants and funding. You work with the smartest minds in science. The very smart one pick the ones that are highly productive with good mentorship = publications. More MD/Phds come out from JHU undergrad than Brown. Who cares about humanities if you know for sure scientific research is your way to go. Also, Hopkins throws out scholarships and awards to those who want to do ugrad research, especially to those who have done previous research before matriculating (Woodrow Wilson). Obviously, I'm going to root for my alma mata, but still, most people agree JHU is a better pick than Brown if a scientific career is for you. Even if Hopkins has a harsher science grades, med schools recognize there is no grade inflation and give bigger leeway.

6. fotografía

fotografía Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm going to have to refute that. My mentor at Brown thinks JHU is the greatest place on earth to learn medicine (she trained there), but also thinks Brown is the best place to get an undergraduate education because of the emphasis on self-directed learning, and especially for those in the sciences because of the easy access to faculty and, more importantly, the treatment of undergrads in research positions (as I mentioned above). You don't have to compete with grad/med students because there are so few of them.

But still, I don't think you should pick your college based on which school you think is better for your career. When I arrived at college I was certain I was going to be an engineer, and now I'm going to med school. Go to the school where you think you will have the most resources to grow both personally and intellectually, and ultimately where you will enjoy your invaluable four years of college. In terms of prestige I don't think you can go wrong, so do yourself a favor and think less about what you think these schools will do for your future and more about where you will be happy, because truly, you'll be just as equipped at either institution.

7. js416256

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Any other opinions?

8. Mixtli

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    JHU has more student grants, lab funding, resources, research prestige, nobel laureates, and sends out more science PHds, MDs, and MD/PHDs than a more liberal-arts college like Brown. There is no core curriculum and no limit on transferring AP credits (you can pick courses such as art history or whatever). Many students get a combined BS/MS in 4 years (biology) or BS/MS in 5 years (engineering). When applying to grad schools, they don't care about your personal development (not saying you will be miserable at either school), but the most important things they look at is: papers published and prestige of the lab. I knew some students who got published in Nature, Cell (not 1st author) which guranteed them a top placement in MD/PHd schools or grad schools like Harvard or USCF. It is also not usual for students to hold US patents if they did biomedical research.

Do yourself a service and browse MDapplicants.com and see what kind of placements students with publications land from both Brown and JHU.

9. fotografía

fotografía Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This post pretty much sums up the negative impression I get from JHU, namely, that is filled with one-dimensional gunners. Dude if all you care about is science and research, than by all means, go to JHU, you'll fit right in. I mean, Mixtli, did you actually think I suggested that the OP seek an institution conducive to PERSONAL development... because it looks good for grad schools?? That's absurd.

10. js416256

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Mixtli, I noticed that you attend Dartmouth Medical School. Do you think that Dartmouth, which has been compared to Brown for their Liberal Arts College/Research University combination, can still offer students the great research experiences that you saw at JHU?

11. R-35

R-35 Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This shouldn't be a question, JHU!

12. Mixtli

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No way, not even close. There's like only a handful of labs at Dartmouth compared to a thousand at JHU. However, students seem a lot more chill because a lot of them are history, language, pysch majors. Overall, I got accepted to a top university for ugrad but I felt JHU would be more of a challenge. School prepared me well, but there's a tradeoff of living in Baltimore vs. lets say...Hanover or Stanford.

If you turn down the 10K research scholarship (Woodrow Wilson?) I don't even know what to say. They only offer around 10 of those per year. My roommate was one of those and he's currently applying MD/PHD next cycle.