JHU vs NYU waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irohisthegoat24

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm a bit confused. I turned in a LOI to NYU because I simply love everything about the school AND with my family's financial situation the free tuition would have been amazing. New York City is close to home with me and after initially receiving little to no aid from other schools I came to a decision that NYU would be my top choice. However, just recently I got a revised package from Johns Hopkins offering me a financial scholarship that I was quite frankly not expecting. Now it would cost me 68k more in the long run to go to Hopkins over NYU, but to me that was a great offer from a great school that I am honored to have received. Do people know what a policy is on withdrawing from a school before they consider waitlist if I sent an LOI, but my circumstances have changed substantially? I feel really confused right now and would appreciate any other support. I have ruled out all other schools and the only situation I am considering right now is committing at JHU vs staying on the NYU waitlist. I loved both schools, but the city and financial assistance from NYU is what put it over for me. But now that financials are relatively in the same ballpark, which is very new and unexpected information, I am now in a completely different situation. I'd appreciate any perspective and assistance on this matter

Members don't see this ad.

You didn't sign a binding contract by submitting an LOI, which is why schools for the most part don't care about them.

Given the change in financials, would you go to NYU if accepted? If not, withdraw.

Reactions: 2 users
This is why LOIs do not carry much weight. Your circumstances changed and you are entitled to make a decision that is in your best interests. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to clarify by LOI i mean intent, which is why I don't want this to reflect poorly on my integrity or anything. It is just that circumstances have changed beyond what I thought would happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure that's what GreenDuck12 and I meant as well, as a letter of interest would be even less useful.

As others have said, this is why LOIs are not given as much weight as some applicants seem to believe. If you are no longer considering NYU, and want to avoid a potentially awkward situation if accepted and are truly no longer considering them, simply withdraw. Otherwise it’s likely no one has even taken notice to it given that WL movement is weeks away and there is truly nothing they can do about your decision to withdraw, whether it’s seen as poor integrity or not.

Just to clarify by LOI i mean intent, which is why I don't want this to reflect poorly on my integrity or anything. It is just that circumstances have changed beyond what I thought would happen.

Right. Might it annoy someone in the admissions office? Sure. But at the end of the day, you need to do what is in your best interest. You’re going to have to get over the reflecting on your integrity thing - you wrote a letter saying you would definitely go to NYU but things changed and now you want to back out. It’s ok, many students have done it and plenty others will but that is the inherent danger of writing the LOI. Admissions committees know this so it won’t be a huge surprise. It won’t mean you’re blackballed from NYU for residency.

As it stands right now, I think JHU's scholarship/aid sounds like an excellent choice. LOIs are not binding and schools are aware of this. I dont see why withdrawing from NYU would be a big issue.

Reactions: 3 users
It would be a lot better to withdraw now before they take time to review your app next week or accept you. Most LOIs indicate you would drop other As *IF* they accept you— technically you’re not breaking it if you withdraw before receiving an acceptance.

It would be a lot better to withdraw now before they take time to review your app next week or accept you. Most LOIs indicate you would drop other As *IF* they accept you— technically you’re not breaking it if you withdraw before receiving an acceptance.
And this bolder text is true only if nothing else has changed since sending the LOI. In this case something has changed.
Withdrawing is NO big deal.
You just need to make your decision bed on whether Accepted at NYU whether you would attend or not based on your NYC leanings.