JIM CROW RACISM IN HEALTH EDUCATION

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismissed with prejudice

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
We like to believe that health care practitioners have taken an oath to do good and presume that they are indeed up to their calling.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. Minority students want to share some of their bad experiences while working towards their health education, please do. Forewarned and forearmed. I have been a victim of both faculty and white students who have used the courts of law to justify their nefarious activities, and a lax DoE and lazy ACPE.

Please share how you managed your nightmares.

Members don't see this ad.

Jim crow was a set of govt laws/codes that specifically did not allow white business owners from treating black customers the same....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
giphy.gif

Ok. Your point?
I feel legitimately bad that you got expelled, but your post isn’t accurate and the OCD in me needs to point out that jim crow racism in medical education would be a law that requires a school or teacher to fail more minority students even if they didn’t want to

By all means, allege racism. But it’s an improper reference to jim crow laws

Reactions: 4 users
OP can you tells us more about what exactly happened?

As to the OP, let it rest.

I wouldn't mind having an actual conversation about exclusion in the professions. I'll throw the first stone and remind others that the professional fraternity Phi Chi (Phi Delta Chi today) had an explicit past policy of:
1. No colored (explicitly in the original bylaws)
2. No women (explicitly in the original bylaws)
3. Only men who were of an upstanding moral character (euphemism for anti-Semitism, anti-homosexual, anti-Catholic until Drake formed their chapter)

AMA was formed out of elements in the East Coast where the charitable hospitals excluded practitioners that were not of their values (and hilariously, became the most exclusive organization for professionals for a century). Openly refused to admit colored practitioners under equal circumstances if at all until well after the Civil Rights movement had finished in areas of the country.

While PDX has officially repudiated that part of their past (including the counterprotests of the Civil Rights movement in the Southern and mid-Atlantic chapters), it has taken a lot of time for forgetting to break those scumbag traditions (and some still privately observe them among the older pharmacists). I don't think you can train someone out of that, you just have to break the tradition hard enough that people stop remembering that exclusion was the way things operated in those days.

I am not part of any professional fraternity or care for any of them (no, I am not Kappa Psi), but it is a reminder that the professions have always had those elements and those traditions should rightfully be ended. Fraternity is a real tradition, exclusivity should not be.

Last edited:
As to the OP, let it rest.

I wouldn't mind having an actual conversation about exclusion in the professions. I'll throw the first stone and remind others that the professional fraternity Phi Chi (Phi Delta Chi today) had an explicit past policy of:
1. No colored (explicitly in the original bylaws)
2. No women (explicitly in the original bylaws)
3. Only men who were of an upstanding moral character (euphemism for anti-Semitism, anti-homosexual, anti-Catholic until Drake formed their chapter)

AMA was formed out of elements in the East Coast where the charitable hospitals excluded practitioners that were not of their values (and hilariously, became the most exclusive organization for professionals for a century).

While PDX has officially repudiated that part of their past (including the counterprotests of the Civil Rights movement in the Southern and mid-Atlantic chapters), it has taken a lot of time for forgetting to break those scumbag traditions (and some still privately observe them among the older pharmacists). I don't think you can train someone out of that, you just have to break the tradition hard enough that people stop remembering that exclusion was the way things operated in those days.
How is that different from any other profession (prior to 60s, even 80s)? And if you dont mind me asking what is Chi delta Chi?

Also, I woulnt opt for the "let it rest" option. The OP is actually doing us a service but preparing us for the future whether or not we agree with him. I am truly interested in knowing more about his case.

We like to believe that health care practitioners have taken an oath to do good and presume that they are indeed up to their calling.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. Minority students want to share some of their bad experiences while working towards their health education, please do. Forewarned and forearmed. I have been a victim of both faculty and white students who have used the courts of law to justify their nefarious activities, and a lax DoE and lazy ACPE.

Please share how you managed your nightmares.

Nobody cares.

White people are the minority in all Texas pharmacy schools.

Reactions: 3 users
Glad OP posted proof of all that he/she stated.

Surely it wasn’t your crappy grades and work ethic or behavior that got you dismissed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Glad OP posted proof of all that he/she stated.

Surely it wasn’t your crappy grades and work ethic or behavior that got you dismissed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Which is why i find it real hard to believe OP.

I feel legitimately bad that you got expelled, but your post isn’t accurate and the OCD in me needs to point out that jim crow racism in medical education would be a law that requires a school or teacher to fail more minority students even if they didn’t want to

By all means, allege racism. But it’s an improper reference to jim crow laws

Dude, you're just being pedantic. It's used colloquially to describe institutional racism towards blacks and it has been for decades.

I can just imagine someone on here saying "CVS gypped me!" and then you show up and type "Nonsense! There were no Roma involved in the situation. Therefore, false!"

Dude, you're just being pedantic. It's used colloquially to describe institutional racism towards blacks and it has been for decades.

I can just imagine someone on here saying "CVS gypped me!" and then you show up and type "Nonsense! There were no Roma involved in the situation. Therefore, false!"
Words mean things, historical references should be used correctly.

It's well known that the Russians are trolling our social media sites creating discord among fellow Americans. It's very likely this "student" is just another Russian. Do we have software on SDN which screens out Russian bots?

It's well known that the Russians are trolling our social media sites creating discord among fellow Americans. It's very likely this "student" is just another Russian. Do we have software on SDN which screens out Russian bots?
LOL

Uh excuse me, did you not know it's racist to use "Russian" in this way?

Please check your horrible Slavophobic language

Nah, that's Silly. At its best it's a malapropism, and at its worst it's an intentionally alarmist appeal to something tragic and serious just to give credibility to a ****ty student.

You can't encourage it just because "muh institutional racism!"

There's a reason the Godwin rule gets invoked so often.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Uh excuse me, did you not know it's racist to use "Russian" in this way?

Please check your horrible Slavophobic language

Nah, that's Silly. At its best it's a malapropism, and at its worst it's an intentionally alarmist appeal to something tragic and serious just to give credibility to a ****ty student.

You can't encourage it just because "muh institutional racism!"

There's a reason the Godwin rule gets invoked so often.

CetiAlphaFive, I'm a minority and therefore cannot be racist. I think it is racist of you to call me racist.

Reactions: 1 users
CetiAlphaFive, I'm a minority and therefore cannot be racist. I think it is racist of you to call me racist.

To determine who is more minority-er, we'll have to break out the shades of brown chart and get an official, credentialed social justice referee: any white 24-37 year old female with inspiring photos of them hiking while wearing a big hat.

Only then can we truly know who is the true racist

If any other moderates ask, say I didn’t see this thread, ok?

But seriously, I don’t see this going anywhere productive. Therefor I am invoking racism and closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.