Shadowing is vital! Can working at starbucks give you the same insight into medicine as shadowing a physician!?
Shadowing is important but I wouldn't go so far to say it's essential. Many applicants have got into medical schools without shadowing, but they did have clinical exposure and/or worked with doctors in research projects, scribing etc.You will not be accepted without shadowing.
100% False.You will not be accepted without shadowing.
I'm not a Canadian; schools in my state report 90% of shadowing. I'm sure the other 10% had some form of medical employment, which I did not feel the need to mention as it has nothing to do with the OP. If you want to bet on being in that 10 or 20%, then it's your call.100% False.
Hundreds of Canadians get in every year, most of whom have NEVER shadowed because its essentially illegal in Canada
Also, if you look at MSAR, the % of people who shadowed is <80% in most cases. Often around 60% of those accepted
From my understanding, work experience is valuable, and at Starbucks you will learn how to deal with people (maybe, I've never been to Starbucks). When I was in college, I worked, volunteered, etc., but didn't shadow till my gap year. So far I have an II, so if you can shadow over the summer, that should be fine. Apply for it early, took me a few months to shadow.If I maintain the GPA and have a high MCAT, could a job (30hr/week) at Starbucks make up for lack of shadowing? I can shadow over the summer but have absolutely no time during the year. I have research though and will continue it for 3 more years.
As long as you get in some quality shadowing in the summer, you should be fine. It's not about the number of hours per se, it's the quality of those hours and how meaningful they are. The majority of my shadowing, ~40-50 hours, was done over the summer.If I maintain the GPA and have a high MCAT, could a job (30hr/week) at Starbucks make up for lack of shadowing? I can shadow over the summer but have absolutely no time during the year. I have research though and will continue it for 3 more years.
Summer shadowing is fine. Or you can knock out 50 hours of it over winter +/- spring break and get it all done quickly, as this activity need not be done on a regular basis.I can shadow over the summer but have absolutely no time during the year.
This works fine, too.50 does the trick easily. Just spend 6-7 Saturday's over the next year or two shadowing a doctor or two on call working the weekend from say 10-5 and that'll get you what you need.