Job as Admin Assistant in a practice---relevant to a Clinical research program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reluctantPhd01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to graduate school in the Fall. I am gearing my applications to programs that are very research-oriented. Though I do think I would like clinical work, it's not my ultimate focus or interest. However, I do want to have basic clinical skills so I can be an overall competent psychologist.

I have a research job now that's pretty good---it was an RA position for two years, and now I am the lab manager. I have lots of publications and posters from this, and I think I can make a really good case for research.

The problem is that last year, we missed a grant, so I had to reduce my hours to 30 as lab manager, and I took on a second job as an administrative assistant for a private practice. I do a whole bunch of stuff---answer the phones, do basic intake over the phone, LOTS of billing stuff (I am virtually constantly on hold with a 3rd party biller who didn't pay something or paid too little, et cetera). I also do a lot of the scoring for their reports. I have also helped them with writing up actual reports.

My question is, I have a LOT to talk about in my SOP, should I even include this? I am worried programs will see it and think I am "too clinically" interested, but won't these "basic skills" make me seem a little bit more well-rounded? I'm really thinking of just excluding that, but that seems like a real waste.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see how briefly mentioning that you've done intakes with mental health clients would be considered "too clinical" if you give appropriate focus to the areas you are most interested in. I think you mostly answered your own question by saying it would just show you have well-rounded experience.

If you still have doubts, have a trusted person read it beforehand and get their feedback.

Side note: that sounds more like a phone screening than an intake.