Job based on location and fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xClashx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, CA1 year. Soon, I will have to choose a fellowship tract in residency for CA2 year. I don't have any particular interests, but am not too picky, I like all fields of anesthesia and would not mind doing a fellowship. The question I have is, any way I can find out what jobs/fellowships are sought after in the following locations:

Atlanta, GA (and suburbs)
North Carolina (one of major cities): Given that UNC, Duke, wake forest all here, likely all their grads will have fellowships and I would need to do one to be competitive.
Florida
Colorado (was told by people that this place is saturated with low paying jobs)

From GasWorks, seems like pediatrics keeps coming up.

Ideal job: at least 350K a year, 8 weeks vacation + benefits. 2-3 calls a month, avg 50h a week.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, CA1 year. Soon, I will have to choose a fellowship tract in residency for CA2 year. I don't have any particular interests, but am not too picky, I like all fields of anesthesia and would not mind doing a fellowship. The question I have is, any way I can find out what jobs/fellowships are sought after in the following locations:

North Carolina (one of major cities): Given that UNC, Duke, wake forest all here, likely all their grads will have fellowships and I would need to do one to be competitive.
Florida

Ideal job: at least 350K a year, 8 weeks vacation + benefits. 2-3 calls a month, avg 50h a week.

You will have to choose a fellowship?

Reactions: 3 users

Florida

Cardiac anesthesia. Next!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your ideal job is not terribly well-paying, has a low call burden, and average vacation. That sounds like academics, if you’re willing to accept 2-3 of the weeks off as academic time. Note that cardiac often involves extra call, although it is often from home.

The areas you listed have good weather and lots of applicants. Don’t know much about Atlanta. The academic jobs in the research triangle would fit your needs. Florida typically has below average jobs. Colorado has some great jobs but they are competitive, cardiac would be helpful there.

Don’t do a fellowship unless you are serious about that area of expertise. You will be selling yourself to employers based on that expertise and how that can improve the skill set of the group, and may even be called upon to help start new service lines.

Reactions: 3 users
Peds is great for academics. Feel like most community hospitals just don't do complex enough stuff to find your fellowship all that useful for most private practice. Cardiac will be useful everywhere. The newer cardiac surgeons are becoming much more demanding with tee skills even in suburbs private practice.

Reactions: 1 user