Job Chances for International Dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drfromindia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a dentist from India.In Minnesota now.I was looking for dental assistant job openings here.It seems to be very difficult to get a DA job with out undergoing the dental assisting program which is for 10-11 months.

Can anyone help me out in figuring out the following?

1)would anyone consider international dentist , at least equivalent to dental assistant?
2)I think DANB allows foreign dentists to take the CDA exam.But if i clear that would that alone be sufficient to get a job?
3)Is there any classroom/online course for dental assisting which are of shorter duration ( less than 4 months )
4)Is there any other options for an international dentist to be employed in the dental field ?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a dentist from India.In Minnesota now.I was looking for dental assistant job openings here.It seems to be very difficult to get a DA job with out undergoing the dental assisting program which is for 10-11 months.

1)would anyone consider international dentist , at least equivalent to dental assistant?
2)I think DANB allows foreign dentists to take the CDA exam.But if i clear that would that alone be sufficient to get a job?
3)Is there any classroom/online course for dental assisting which are of shorter duration ( less than 4 months )
4)Is there any other options for an international dentist to be employed in the dental field ?
To answer the first couple of questions,
1) Not unless you complete the DA program/certification.
2) Probably not, unless you have GC/EAD to work. Most clinics require a DA certification/X-Ray certification etc to hire you.

Check the MN state dental board website-- if you meet all their requirements, you can apply for licsense as a dentist.
or
In Florida you can be a dental hygenist- check their website also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a million for those replies,
But, I still dont know what an international dentist can do in the US except work in a Pizza place (",)...
Are we eligible to do anything in the dental/medical field without going through school or certification??? I know life is not that easy, but there must be something out there for us !!!

Not every state require DA certification. I worked in Albany,NY for 2 yrs as a DA on the simple fact that I am trained Foreign dentist. So don't give up hope...u need to try everywhere and try persistently !! In Minnesota, if you have 18 months experience as a dentist in India, then you can clear boards and take up licensure exam. Apply everywhere and collect info from ur state board. Good luck:thumbup:

Not every state require DA certification. I worked in Albany,NY for 2 yrs as a DA on the simple fact that I am trained Foreign dentist. So don't give up hope...u need to try everywhere and try persistently !! In Minnesota, if you have 18 months experience as a dentist in India, then you can clear boards and take up licensure exam. Apply everywhere and collect info from ur state board. Good luck:thumbup:

Do u mean without a DDS/DMD a FTD can work as a dentist in Minnesota?:confused:

Oh.. I am sorry, was only looking at the "dentist" part,coz thats all in my mind now.Sorry for the mistake,yes u were talking about DA.........

But, I still dont know what an international dentist can do in the US except work in a Pizza place (",)...
Are we eligible to do anything in the dental/medical field without going through school or certification??? I know life is not that easy, but there must be something out there for us !!!
You can also try to work as a sales representative for a dental company Like Schein, Paterson, Darby, Pearson or whatever local dental companies are in your state.

So, are you saying that they sponsored a Work visa for you.? If you have a GC/EAD or U.S Citizenship, it's a different ball game. Please let me know if they sponsored H1B for you, that will be very interesting to know. Thanks.

So, are you saying that they sponsored a Work visa for you.? If you have a GC/EAD or U.S Citizenship, it's a different ball game. Please let me know if they sponsored H1B for you, that will be very interesting to know. Thanks.

Dont think H1B an be done for DA. A lawyer had told that to one of my friends.

Of course citizen/GC/EAD is a different ball game like you say.

I had EAD back then. I was on J2 visa. now GC.
they don't/cannot sponsor H1B for DA.

Could a permanent US resident or citizen complete a dds program abroad (mexico), and practice in the US? What would be the requirements to be able to practice in the US?

i heard there is one program in mexico which was accredited last year by the california board
but you got to look through the forum

:confused: Hi Guys, Please somebody help me. I am looking for a sponsorship to get my dental license and green card. I already passed the exams. Actually I applied to Western but I don´t feel they are really serious.
I am looking for other companies. Could somebody help me?
Thanks a lot.

IT DEPENDS. SOME DENTAL OFFICES ARE MORE OPEN ABOUT IT AND BECAUSE YOU ARE A FTD THEY WON'T REQUIRE YOU TO BE A DA. HERE IN CALIFORNIA THERE ARE TONS OF OPPORTUNITIES LIKE THAT. HOWEVER YOU MUST HAVE WORK PERMIT VISA OR BE ALLOWED TO LEGALLY WORK HERE

AGAIN i WOULDN'T LOSE TIME AND MONEY WITH SUCH COURSES. LOOK FOR PLACES THAT WOULD ACCEPT YOU WITHOUT BEING A RA. YOU MIGHT WANNA TAKE AN RX LICENSE WHICH IS NOT HARD

I DON'T THINK SO THEREFORE I WOULDN'T LOSE MY TIME DOING THAT.

4)Is there any other options for an international dentist to be employed in the dental field ?[/QUOTE]
TONS OF VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY AS AN ASSISTANT. YOU CAN WORK IN PROVATE OFFICES AS ASSISTANT OR OFFICE MANAGER IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE RUNNING BUSINESS. YOU MIGHT WANT TO LOOK FOR JOBS AT DENTAL LABS BUT THAT WOULD BE KIND OF DIFFERENT THAN WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.

iT SURE IS HARD, YOU ARE RIGHT.
REQUIRES A LOT OF WORK AND EFFORT. IF YOU DONT MIND VOLUNTEERING THAT MIGHT BE A WAY TO GO. VOLUNTEER AT A SCHOOL DEPARTMENT IF YOU HAVE A FIELD THAT YOU ARE GOOD AT AND THAT YOU LIKE- AS AN INSTRUCTOR OR SOMETHING. BUT IF YOU DONT HAVE EXPERIENCE TEACHING MIGHT WANNA LOOK INTO BEING AN ASSISTANT.
THE BEST IS : SPEND YOUR TIME STUDYING AND PREPARING FOR THE BENCH EXAMS AT SCHOOLS.