Job dilemma/ need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pcaras

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I have to decide about these jobs by Thursday. One of the offers is a clinical research coordinator in early drug development at Dana Farber and the other is a medical assistant job in a plastic surgery and wound care clinic at Brigham Women’s Hospital. The CRC offers $21.64 an hour and the MA is $17.50. Has anyone done similar jobs? Which one would be better for medical school? The MA is more hands on experience, but I feel like I’ll get more connections and direct doctor interactions at the CRC job for potential shadowing opportunities. However, I’m worried the CRC job would get boring just being at a desk all day. The money difference is also pretty big. I’m also generally more interested in oncology than surgery. Let me know your opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

These aren’t really comparable so it’s diffuclt for us strangers to advise which is better for you. Do you want hands on patient care or a research position? Both will be of a benefit to your app

I'd say the difference in pay and your interest in oncology makes the CAC job better suited to you, but it depends on your other experiences. Do you have other clinical experiences with direct patient contact? If you do choose CAC, would you be able to do anything that would get you that experience on the side (through volunteering)? They'd both be assets, but it depends on the rest of your ECs and which one is more meaningful to you and your goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
So my clinical experience so far has been scribing for a doctor since September...I also have ~50 shadowing hours from last semester which I know isn't that much, but with the CRC job they said once I'm trained I'll have the opportunities to directly shadow the doctors. However, I do think the MA clinical experience would be valuable I just don't know if I would want to do it for more than a year especially since the pay is so bad. Thanks for the help!

From an app perspective it seems you have enough clinical hours. Add the CRC research hours and pay, and focus your free time on non clinical volunteering.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users